• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying while backpacking

keels1225

imported post

I know that you can carry in this state without a permit while fishing or hunting (or going to or from these activities), but what about backpacking in remote areas. I have called SLED on this one and can't get a straight answer. Thanks in advance for the help

tarzan1888

imported post

keels1225 wrote:
I know that you can carry in this state without a permit while fishing or hunting (or going to or from these activities), but what about backpacking in remote areas. I have called SLED on this one and can't get a straight answer. Thanks in advance for the help

If you are in South Carolina then the following is my answer.

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.
It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law: .......
.......(4) licensed hunters or fishermen who are engaged in hunting or fishing or going to or from their places of hunting or fishing while in a vehicle or on foot;

IANAL, but if you have a fishing license and have a hook and line with you while you are back packing then you would be good to go. It doesn't say you need a pole and bait. :cool:

tarzan1888

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Carefully, lots of backpacking-places are federal (read 'National') property and the Forest Service, BLM, NPS, DOE, DON (DHS FEMA) ad nauseam have their own rules. Oh, and don't forget private property.
The only "National" places you need to worry about are National Parks, and they are a big No-No. :)