• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW and Protocol for Traffic Stops

loomisc

imported post

I can't remember if CCW holders are required by PA law to inform officers that they are carrying during a routine traffic stop.

Could someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

imperialism2024

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
If he asks, then you ought to answer - don't lie.

Then again, why would they ask?

Because they have badges and want to use them? I don't entirely know... Someone who goes to my gym mentioned something one day a few weeks ago about having gone through a DUI checkpoint, wasn't suspected of DUI-ing, but was asked by an officer whether he was carrying. He wasn't at that particular time, but it struck me as odd...

And, while I know you shouldn't lie to an LEO if asked, can you answer "I'm not obligated by law to tell you whether or not I am carrying"?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Statkowski wrote:
If he asks, then you ought to answer - don't lie.

Then again, why would they ask?

Because they have badges and want to use them? I don't entirely know... Someone who goes to my gym mentioned something one day a few weeks ago about having gone through a DUI checkpoint, wasn't suspected of DUI-ing, but was asked by an officer whether he was carrying. He wasn't at that particular time, but it struck me as odd...

They don't seem to want to grasp what you're suggesting. They just can't see it.
I heard a lawyer talking about his issue once and he said, if you didn't want to directly answer the question, to say something like "Officer, I have absolutely nothing illegal on my person or in my car." as a way of a) telling the truth and b) shifting the context acceptably.

But don't lie, the lawyer said...

sydcomebak

imported post

It may not be the popular way of doing things, but if I'm ever pulled over, I have my PA DL and my LtCF in my Left hand with my right hand at 12 on the wheel.

Remember that there's nothing "routine" about any traffic stop to any PO worth his badge. The more info you give them without them having to ask, the more at ease they will be with you. Who knows, youmight catch a break for being up-front with them.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
On that note, if an officer asks during a traffic stop, or at a DUI checkpoint, if you are CCing, are you required to provide an answer?
Typically, you are not required to answer any questions, other than ID'ing yourself.

What the consequences, if any, of not answering will be can vary greatly but no, you do not have to answer by law.

Should you? Well, that's a debate that has been hashed to death on many boards. Probably this one too. (don't know, didn't search)

As mentioned already --- If you do answer, you do not want to lie.

imperialism2024

imported post

sydcomebak wrote:
It may not be the popular way of doing things, but if I'm ever pulled over, I have my PA DL and my LtCF in my Left hand with my right hand at 12 on the wheel.

Remember that there's nothing "routine" about any traffic stop to any PO worth his badge. The more info you give them without them having to ask, the more at ease they will be with you. Who knows, youmight catch a break for being up-front with them.
I can understand that line of thinking. But personally, I feel it would escalate the situation, especially in the presence of a rookie cop, or one who feels it is his God-given right to make sure only LEOs carry guns. At any rate, CC should be common enough today that the fact one is carrying isn't an aberration.

On the other hand, when OCing, I'm guessing that there isn't much of an issue with informing the officer, though I probably would tell him upfront that I am legally OCing, since he's eventually going to notice the piece (even though an observant LEO would notice it immediately).

On an entirely different note, in my experience, the only speeding ticket I got out of was the one where I didn't have my license and registration in my hand when the officer walked up to my car. I decided to play things differently, and fumbled to find my license and registration, but eventually produced them, all while acting very naive and apologetic. Got me out of a ticket for 76 in a 55...

:celebrate

Skuggi

imported post

I think if I ever do something dumb and get stuck at a DUI checkpoint or something and have my guns on me, or my gun and my knife it may go like this just because I'm a happy fun guy.

Q: "Do you have any weapons in the car."

A: "Yup Plenty."

I'm sick of all the worry over this if your completely legal. Just remember your laws, no need to hide from a good cop, and that'll be a sure fire way to find the bad ones.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Skuggi wrote:
I'm sick of all the worry over this if your completely legal. Just remember your laws, no need to hide from a good cop, and that'll be a sure fire way to find the bad ones.
Yup. Just carefully consider if you WANT to find the bad ones on that particular day. If not then keep your mouth shut.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=14&t=277672

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Skuggi wrote:
I think if I ever do something dumb and get stuck at a DUI checkpoint or something and have my guns on me, or my gun and my knife it may go like this just because I'm a happy fun guy.

Q: "Do you have any weapons in the car."

A: "Yup Plenty."

I wonder what the reaction would be.

sccrref

imported post

loomisc wrote:
I can't remember if CCW holders are required by PA law to inform officers that they are carrying during a routine traffic stop.

Could someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

If you are everin Virginia,if asked if you are CCing and you are, you are required to present your permit and a photo-identification issued by a government agency of VA, DOD or State Dept.18.2-308 H

imperialism2024

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
Skuggi wrote:
Yup. Just carefully consider if you WANT to find the bad ones on that particular day. If not then keep your mouth shut.

I liked the idea of reporting the gun stolen...

Skuggi

imported post

SOB, Damn straight that's illegal. Hell the PSP has already been being yelled out by the DOJ over this.

http://www.penncdl.org/pspillegaldatabase.pdf

Pa. Patriot wrote:
Skuggi wrote:

imperialism2024

imported post

Skuggi wrote:
SOB, Damn straight that's illegal. Hell the PSP has already been being yelled out by the DOJ over this.

http://www.penncdl.org/pspillegaldatabase.pdf
And, in the last 6 years since that letter, it doesn't seem like the PSP has done anything about the four crimes they were committing? Er, sorry, I mean the four interpretations of the law.