• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reinforced Belt?

natehunts

imported post

This is for those of you who have tried or switched to the belts reinforced with something like kydex. Have any of you found it necessary? What about the belts forming to the countour of the body?As stiff as they make it seem, it sounds like it won't be as comfortable as others.Also, those that advertise a reinforced belt mention that it will not soften as others do and will essentially remain stiff forever. Anyway,if anyone has any pros or cons about these belts please let me know.I usually carry in a crossbreedholster andI just recently bought a Blackhawk serpa. I have finally decided to get a good belt and I'm just trying get as much information as I can. Like most things i'm sure it is mostly preference, but any comments are appreciated.

Thanks, Nate

Here are a couple of links to the ones I was talking about.

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=43&osCsid=fa34610b8aee6f3439e2510b7e463267

http://looperleather.com/KydexBelt.html

The beltman has an option as well for the plastic insert.

compmanio365

imported post

I've been looking for a better belt than what I've got now, but don't want to spend a million dollars either. Even something with more thickness than your standard dress belt would be nice, as the standard everyday belts will fray, strech and sag over a short period of time if you have a heavier gun (like myself with the HP .45). I wouldn't want to buy the one in the link as $65 seems like a lot for a belt to me, unless someone could convince me why it was worth that price......

natehunts

imported post

I have decided to suck it up and just spend the money on a nice belt. I will get a good double thick belt probably from the beltman. But then i started seeing these "reinforced" belts. So I had a few more questions to ask.

sccrref

imported post

Think about the width of the belt as well. When I fisrt started carring I had a 1" wide belt and my holster and gun flopped all over the place. Found a 1 3/4" belt at Walmart ($15). It fits the beltloops on my pants perfectly and so far (3 months) is holding up well and keepingmy Glock 19 or Baretta PX4 Storm 40 cal right where it is supposed to be.

tarzan1888

imported post

natehunts wrote:
I have decided to suck it up and just spend the money on a nice belt. I will get a good double thick belt probably from the beltman. But then i started seeing these "reinforced" belts. So I had a few more questions to ask.

I have had good luck with the belts that I have bought at Wal-Mart.

I have one in black and one in brown. The key is that they are two layers sewn together. I got them in the work clothes section on the belt rack for about $10. they are leather and stiff and do well even with my full sized 1911.

The "work belts" work for me. :celebrate

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I don't know if it is me losing weight (I have lost 20 lbs in the last 25 days...) , or if it is my gun -- but plain leather belts seem to stretch out over the period of a couple months.

I am considering buying a gun belt, but can't find one cheap and that has good features. 60 bucks for a belt seems like a lot to me.

Enthusiast

imported post

You will notice a big difference if you switch to a reinforced belt. They are sturdier and more durable. I have had mine for about four or five years and they are still just as good as when I first started wearing them. I have two belts from Galco, a tan one and a black one. All reinforced belts are a little expensive, but they're worth it.

markand

imported post

I, too have been using the same highly reinforced belt for several years. A very stiff belt is extremely comfortable and allows me to carry much more weight on the belt than would otherwise be possible. I typically carry on the belt a concealed a SIG P229, one or two spare magazines on the off side, Surefire flashlight in one of the mag carriers and a cell phone. I have no problem carrying this stuff all day long. I'd never be able to do that with an ordinary dress belt, or even with belts from most holster makers.

The belt I use comes from AKJ Concealco, LLC at http://www.concealco.com. I use the one with heavy reinforcement: http://www.concealco.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ACL&Product_Code=BELT&Category_Code=054BELT

This belt consists of two layers of leather with a reinforcing material of some kind in between. In my opinion, the stiffer the belt, the more comfortable it is. Also, a belt reinforced with some kind of material isn't going to stretch like plain leather does, no matter how thick it is. Most of the belts sold by holster makers have nothing on the Concealco belt. Not intending to be an advertisement for them, but I have a giant collection of holsters and belts and this one is outstanding.

sccrref

imported post

openryan wrote:
I don't know if it is me losing weight (I have lost 20 lbs in the last 25 days...) , or if it is my gun -- but plain leather belts seem to stretch out over the period of a couple months.

I am considering buying a gun belt, but can't find one cheap and that has good features. 60 bucks for a belt seems like a lot to me.

Invest in a drill bit and a drill. Make extra holes and you can cut the excess off of some types of belts. I usuall get ones without the stitching around the outside with this fix in mind.

20 lbs in 25 days, you might just have a tapeworm.:lol:

Mjolnir

imported post

Check out The Wilderness line of belts. You do not need a reinforced belt unless you are pulling a batman & have more crap on the belt than ya can ever use.

I've got a wilderness 5 stitich instructors belt & it's a superb belt and works great wehn OCing the Govt 1911 (W 2 extra mags) or the P229R (w 2 extra mags) and it also works rather nicely with the P239 (again w 2 extra mags) when IWB or on the belt.

http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=43&osCsid=5d0e9ff1b6ae23ae29f95468d1d4e137

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

sccrref wrote:
openryan wrote:

Invest in a drill bit and a drill. Make extra holes and you can cut the excess off of some types of belts. I usuall get ones without the stitching around the outside with this fix in mind.

20 lbs in 25 days, you might just have a tapeworm.:lol:
Well, I have been blessed with the ability to put on weight and take off weight at an uncanny rate, I was an athlete all through high school, as well as at Purdue in West Lafayette, until I tore both MCL's in my knees from hyper extension -- let me tell you how good that feels!

Haven't really worked out in over a year, just got back into the game after I looked over the requirments for the police testing, I could pass everything without working out, but I like to set myself apart as best I can.

markand

imported post

openryan wrote:

I completely agreee about plain leather belts. I have found that no matter how thick, they stretch and twist over time. Even quality belts from holster makers.

The belt and holster serve to hold and position the gun so that it is stable, doesn't flop around and is easy to draw if you ever need to do so. When I first purchased a handgun, a new SIG P239, I put it in a $4 IWB holster. I quickly realized that putting a $600 gun in a $4 holster to save my allegedly priceless hide wasn't good economics. I paid about $80 for the belt I have been wearing for the last 4 years. That's about $.06 per day. I'm worth at least that much:).

Kudo's on the weight loss, by the way. Trying to do the same thing myself.