• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Stores in No. Va

chesire17201

imported post

sjhipple wrote:
longwatch wrote:
Yeah I can't go to Virginia Arms because I can't stomach paying the salary of a man who publically denounced the Tonys 7 in public and on the internet.

What's with all these Gunshop owners not supporting the 2nd Amendment??! I was in a Gunship in Culpeper during a summer clerkship and the owner told me he wished that the gov't would close the "gunshow loophole" so people wouldn't be able to get around registering their guns (i.e. so people would buy more from him). I left in a hurry.

It was a little place on Main St., but I can't remember the name of it.
I know where your talking about, it's the only gun shop in culpeper on main st. used to be M&M sporting goods, guess it still is, haven't been to town for a few years, regardless their prices sucked, and anyone who knows where your talking about will know the shop......absolute pain in the ass to park in too.....prefer Clark brother's myself......

sjhipple

imported post

chesire17201 wrote:
prefer Clark brother's myself......

I've had nothing but good experiences there...and they have a free range. They're quite a hike for me, but I keep going back. I was new to guns as of just a year ago and they helped me alot...but they're not pushy and only give answers when asked. The great thing was I didn't feel like an idiot asking a question...the only gun shop I've ever been in where I felt comfortable asking a dumb question.

I MIGHT check out one of the No.Va gun stores now that I know where they are, but I'll probably buy my next gun from Clark Bros (hopefully an XD Subcompact 9mm...Since I'm broke, it'll be my Christmas present).

used to be M&M sporting goods, guess it still is
Yeah, that's it. Wasn't too impressed...especially after the guy said the thing about how we should close the gun show loophole.

vrwmiller

imported post

Clark Bros. is a good shop. They are the shop where I chose to purchase my new Remington 700 .300 WinMag hunting rifle this year (can't wait for general firearms season to open up this year).

They answered my questions. They mounted my scope exactly as I asked. They helped me out. I was sold on the rifle I wanted to get...what I was looking for at that time was a place to buy it....

I checked out about half dozen places and chose them to purchase my rifle because the customer service was great.

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Yeah I can't go to Virginia Arms because I can't stomach paying the salary of a man who publically denounced the Tonys 7 in public and on the internet.

tonys 7?

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

TEX1N wrote:
taurusfan wrote:
Tex1n, so what was he saying that it would attract moisture or what?
No, he went on a rant about how handguns should be stored in a safe and not a soft case.

Me: "Excuse me, do you have any more soft cases, or is this your entire stock?"

Him: "That's all we have...are you planning on storing the gun in a soft case?"

Me: "Um...no." (I wasn't sure where he was going with this, or else I would have replied very sarcastically.)

Him: Rant begins...

I'm not saying that you should or shouldn't store you handguns in a safe. I believe that there are situation for each, and that each individual gun owner should make that decision.

I was just really peeved that I got preached at for something that had nothing to do with what I was asking. I was also annoyed because with my previous, albeit less-eventful, experiences with VA Arms, this incident didn't surprise me.

Guns and Ammo Warehouse is about 3 minutes down the road from VA Arms. Some of there prices are higher than VA Arms, but the quality of service is definitely worth it.
my first experience at Blue Ridge went about the same, well actually... a bit worse.

Looks like I will be sticking to gun shows and internet auctions for the time being.

gotm4

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So let me get this straight, some believe and practice the 2nd Amendment but then don't believe that a gun store worker can have an opinion?

sjhipple

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
gotm4 wrote:
So let me get this straight, some believe and practice the 2nd Amendment but then don't believe that a gun store worker can have an opinion?

No onesaid he doesn't have a right to his opinion or should not voice it.

What has been said is "we don't have to support him or his opinion with our hard earned money"
For real, there's a difference between ALLOWING something and SUPPORTING something. How much more simple can you get? Liberty is being ALLOWED to do something...and we have the liberty to spend our money where we want as much as we have the freedom to speak as we want.

gotm4

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
gotm4 wrote:

What has been said is "we don't have to support him or his opinion with our hard earned money"
I can see that point, but the person you're referring to doesn't even work there anymore.

Tomahawk

imported post

thorsmitersaw wrote:
what the hell si the tonys 7

Back this past winter 7 guys from this forum got together to eat dinner at Tony's Pizza in Manassas, Virginia, all or most of them open-carrying.

Another patron, a nancy-pants, gave them a bunch of guff, and then later, when he had finished eating, walked out into the parking lot and called the cops. The 911 call is available around here somewhere if you'd like to search for it. After telling him that the OC'rs were probably legal, the 911 operator dispatched a police officer to check it out at the nancy-pants' insistence. Other units quickly piled on.

The resulting confrontation was extremely hostile, with the cops not knowing the law, wrongly ordering the armed patrons to conceal (they did not), and then "persuading" the proprietor to eject them from the premises. All this and foul language, too. The FOIA later revealed that the cops thought this was funny, revealing text messages in which the OC'rs were referred to as "ass-clowns" and "f***ing retards".

VCDL rallied the troops and two huge showings of concerned citizens at Manassas City Hall resulted in an internal investigation (which was a complete white wash, of course). This situation is not yet fully resolved.

It also resulted in a strong statewide solidarity among self-defense rights activists, which is maintained by networking via email alerts and, of course, websites like this one.

So it was a defining moment in recent activist history, both for VCDL and Virginia, and has had some impact outside the state, as well.

VAopencarry

imported post

gotm4 wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
gotm4 wrote:

I can see that point, but the person you're referring to doesn't even work there anymore.
As of when?

vrwmiller

imported post

gotm4 wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
gotm4 wrote:

That's certainly interesting. He was working there the last time I went in a couple months ago...he'd been employed there for at least 5 years, as far as I know. I live a few minutes away from the place, so I'll see if I can make some time to stop on in and see if, indeed, he no longer works there.

Bulldog1967

imported post

I've always had great service from VA Arms and will continue to shop there. In fact, i travel from Alexandria to Manassass, bypassing much closer gunshops with staff who are NOT as knowledgeable about the firearms I'm interested in.

They have a great selection of pistols and the best selection of EBRs in the area bar none. Bernie, Robb & crew have always treated me right. When I asked for opinions on something, they offered it. When I didn't, they didn't.

They are my fiirst call when gun shopping and will continue to be.

My .02

gotm4

Campaign Veteran
imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
gotm4 wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
gotm4 wrote:

That's certainly interesting. He was working there the last time I went in a couple months ago...he'd been employed there for at least 5 years, as far as I know. I live a few minutes away from the place, so I'll see if I can make some time to stop on in and see if, indeed, he no longer works there.
Ummm, Looey was only there 15 months. The only people who've been there 5yrs is Bernie (the owner) and Davy. Neither one posts on gun boards.

vrwmiller

imported post

gotm4 wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:
gotm4 wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
gotm4 wrote:

Ummm, Looey was only there 15 months. The only people who've been there 5yrs is Bernie (the owner) and Davy. Neither one posts on gun boards.
Maybe I am mixing up two people then.

AbNo

imported post

Placementvs.Calibur wrote:
Still missing Shooters Paradise.:(  Dawson's in Woodbridge, and Gander Mtn. in Fredricksburg have the best selection in my opinion.

Man, that place was fun, too...

We're doing Business
Shooters Paradise is doing business on the internet and "By Appointment". If there is anything you need or want, we can get it. Give us a call.

Hey everyone,

The sad thing is you guys know just as much as I do. When it is rebuilt it will be a store and range from my understanding. Time frame for rebuild is not in the immediate future. We are talking a year down the road. That is all I know.

Clayton Clyburn

From www.shootersparadise.com and their forum.