• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to leave Wal-Mart Federal Way

Gene Beasley

imported post

I'm new to the forum, but not new to OC. I've been around THR and TFL for years posting under my real name. Lately have opted for more internet anonymity; using song titles makes it near impossible for your posts to come up if someone Googles your name.

About 0150 this morning I went to the Wal-Mart Supercenter in Federal Way (34520 16 Ave S) wearing a black shirt, blue jeans and OC'ing G19 in a black Galco FL226B – very inconspicuous. I specifically came to Wal-Mart because the few threads that I've read here seemed to indicate that they were at least OC neutral or had no corporate policy. Looked around for the Rockstar, having to ask a stocker for help finding it. They were out of the boxes but supposedly had some individual cans up front. Grabbed a bag of licorice and headed up front for the smokes. Nice woman with a full cart let me ahead of her since I was only carrying the bag of licorice – couldn't find the Rockstar.

A manager or security type female employee comes up to me and asks if I'm a detective. I give her a quizzical look and say, "No." She states that I can't have a "fire weapon" in the store. I asked her if this is the store policy or the corporate policy. She didn't really know, but admitted that they really should post it at the door. I hadn't even looked for a sign as I ignore them when I CC. She offers to ring up my items so I can leave. I handed her the licorice, not feeling particularly confrontational, I just wanted my caffeine and nicotine fix. I let it go with something to the affect of "I would rather spend my money where my gun and I are welcome." So, this is my first OC experience being asked to leave. Having read the thread on expvideo's experience at Southcenter, one observation comes to light after this minor experience. Recalling details, exact words, names (other than the fact that she was carrying a radio and was black, I couldn't tell you anything – I didn't even look at her name tag). I think I need to kick my condition up a notch when OC'ing in a new place. But had PD shown up I'm sure it would have kicked up on its own.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Quite often Walmart personnel will quote policy that "no firearms are allowed". What they forget is that it was the Employee Policy they are referring to.

I still don't understand why an off-duty officer picking up burgers or groceries while armed is acceptable, but a citizen doing the same thing is a threat to society?
:banghead:

LoveMyCountry

P.S. What's a fire weapon? Where you packin' one of them new fangled Glock flame throwers? Best be careful cause Glocks are made of plastic and they'll melt if you shoot too much fire out of 'em.
:p

USN_MA1

imported post

I go to Walmarts all the time Poulsbo and Port Orchard mostly, and NEVER have had an issue. Even buying ammo where I was expecting some grief...NONE.

One thing though...even though she was wrong, at least she had the stones to confront you.

George Washington

imported post

I've OCed at the Walmarts in Renton and Everett with no problems.

The incident in Federal Way needs to be addressed. I'm sure Lonnie probably has a phone number or e-mail at which they can be contacted to resolve this problem. Dealing with Walmart managers is likeplaying "whack-a-mole".

dng

State Researcher
imported post

It seems like incidents at Walmarts are becoming more common. Either that, or it's just that more people are posting their incidents than before.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

dngreer wrote:
It seems like incidents at Walmarts are becoming more common. Either that, or it's just that more people are posting their incidents than before.

I get the sense that there are slightly more Wal-Mart incidents.

I think the window through which a favorable Wal-Mart corporate OCpolicy might have been accessed is closed or closing. We kicked it around months ago in The Wal-Mart Problem thread. At one time there was a favorable Wal-Mart corporate OC policy--but it was never published. Not being published meant it had no hope of being institutionalized.

The Wal-Mart Problem

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/2780.html