• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IM-5 Semi-Automatic Pepper Spray Gun

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

I like the red one...

personalpro-img.jpg

http://www.avurt.com/default.aspx?skinid=1

Avurt(TM) IM-5(TM) Launcher Takes a Shot at Taser(TM)

Finally, a New Non-Lethal Self-Defense Solution for Consumers Aimed at Decreasing Assaults in the U.S.

August 27, 2007:

WESTMINSTER, Colo., Aug. 27 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Security With Advanced Technology announced today that its new, non-lethal self-defense device, the Avurt(TM) IM-5(TM) launcher, is available for pre-sales at a product launch event held in New York City.

(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20070827/AQM105)

The Avurt IM-5 launcher is a small, handheld self-defense device that fits in a purse, holster or backpack that shoots up to five PAVA pepper filled projectiles at attackers up to 40 feet away. The IM-5 launcher's PAVA filled projectiles are non-lethal, but will cause an attacker's nose, throat and eyes to burn, temporarily disabling them. The IM-5 launcher protects from greater distances than conventional pepper spray and stun guns, doesn't have the potential to be lethal the way firearms do, and unlike stun guns the Avurt IM-5 launcher uses technology that has never been associated with a death.

"The IM-5 launcher provides consumers with more attributes than pepper spray and Taser(TM) with its four deterrents: laser sight, loud bang, impact of projectile and debilitating effects of the PAVA pepper powder along with a range of 40 feet. We believe the IM-5 launcher is an unmatched option for non-lethal personal protection," said Scott Sutton, president and CEO of Security With Advanced Technology.

The Avurt IM-5 Launcher Kit is available for an introductory price of $299. The kit includes one IM-5 launcher (available in black, blue, red or pink), 10 practice rounds, a carrying case, a training DVD and instruction manual. For more information about Avurt International or the IM-5 launcher please visit http://www.avurt.com or call 1-877-MY-AVURT (692-8878).

The Avurt Mobile Shooting Range will be on display for media outside the Grand Hyatt New York on 42nd St., through August 29th. The mobile shooting range is a converted 48 foot semi-trailer wrapped in Avurt IM-5 graphics, which features a 30 foot shooting range, product display area and conference area. Media interested in attending please contact Lori Jones at 303-981-2328 or Heather Black at 303-241-9566.

About Security With Advanced Technology

Security With Advanced Technology, Inc. is a leading provider of high-tech security products and services, which include non-lethal personal protection devices, surveillance and intrusion detection systems and mobile digital video surveillance solutions. SWAT's products and services are designed for government agencies, military and law enforcement, in addition to transportation, commercial facilities and non-lethal personal protection segments. For additional information visit http://www.swat-systems.com or call the corporate headquarters at (800) 498-7965. Information on SWAT's website does not constitute a part of this press release.

Forward-Looking Statement Disclaimer

This press release includes "forward-looking statements" as defined by the Securities and Exchange Commission (the "SEC"). All statements, other than statements of historical fact, included in the press release that address activities, events or developments that the company believes or anticipates will or may occur in the future are forward-looking statements. These statements are based on certain assumptions made based on experience, expected future developments and other factors the company believes are appropriate under the circumstances. Such statements are subject to a number of assumptions, risks and uncertainties, many of which are beyond the control of the company and may not materialize, including, without limitation, the efficacy of the company's non-lethal products and services, the company's ability to secure its ownership of, right to use and protect its intellectual property and proprietary technology, the company's ability to launch its website http://www.avurt.com and non-lethal products and services, the company's ability to integrate and capitalize on assets and customer purchasing of commercial quantities of the product at acceptable prices. Investors are cautioned that any such statements are not guarantees of future performance. Actual results or developments may differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements as a result of many factors. Furthermore, the company does not intend (and is not obligated) to update publicly any forward-looking statements, except as required by law. The contents of this release should be considered in conjunction with the warnings and cautionary statements contained in the company's recent filings with the SEC.

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/AQM10527082007-1.htm

compmanio365

imported post

Sounds neat, $299 seems a bit steep, but it would make a good way for those who don't feel comfortable arming themselves with a firearm to still give them something LTL to defend themselves with, without having to worry about the potential blowback and such of normal OC devices. If they brought down the price, I think they would see a big market for such a device......

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Sounds neat, $299 seems a bit steep, but it would make a good way for those who don't feel comfortable arming themselves with a firearm to still give them something LTL to defend themselves with, without having to worry about the potential blowback and such of normal OC devices. If they brought down the price, I think they would see a big market for such a device......

I dunno. $300 is cheap for an effective PD device. But it's gotta be effective.

I kinda am seeing signs of a bright future for effective LTL PD devices, especially as they get smaller. But they gotta be effective. No use having a piece of junk that doesn 't work. Effective LTL tools can have huge advantagesover firearms. But those huge advantages don't have to come at the expense of carriers of traditional firearms, though, they'll probably oppose newer technologies. But the IM-5 and the C2, and the successors are part of a new stream ofPD products, I think.

Three hundred bucks for a laser aimed PD device that works as well as a gun, or even better in some situations, is cheap. We'll see if the IM-5 is that device. But on thing for sure, even if the IM-5 doesn't make it--some other innovator will come up with an effective LTL PD machine. There is plenty of latent demandfor one.

Here's another take on the IM-5.

61499_main_large.jpg

City Women Are Falling for (Nonlethal) Weapons
BY LENORE SKENAZY
August 29, 2007

Stop, or I'll pelt you with a piece of hard candy!

Until this summer, that's all most women were packing when it came to heat. And then, out of the blue, just like bejeweled flipflops, cute, little, nonlethal weapons became the accessory du jour. We are suddenly in the midst of a small small-arms arms race. In one corner is the new, pink, purse-size Taser C2, a stunning mini-stun gun priced to zap, starting at $299. It came out in July. In the other is the new, pink, purse-size Avurt IM-5, a fab baby gat that fires five plastic pellets filled with artificial pepper spray. It goes on sale in mid-September, also for $299.

What a great moment to be a gal … pursued by an unsuspecting mugger.

"Our goal is to give women, especially, something more effective than pepper spray," the chief executive of Security With Advanced Technology, Scott Sutton, said. His company makes the Avurt.

With a shooting range in tow, the Avurt sales team hit New York for a publicity tour this week. They parked the range — actually a converted Mack truck — outside the Grand Hyatt on 42nd Street, where it will remain until tonight. (Parking costs $5,000 a day, in case you were wondering.)

Visitors entering the truck are immediately confronted by a photo of a stocking-capped man and given their choice of weapons. Well, all the weapons are Avurts, but they also come in red, black, and blue (colors inspired by cell phones). In truth, the device looks more hairdryer than handgun, and it weighs a ton. Slipping it into your purse would be like packing a pewter banana.

It is, however, extremely easy to aim, thanks to a laser beam that shows you exactly where your pellet will hit. I blew Mr. Stocking-Cap away both times I tried, from maybe 20 feet away. Had I been using actual pellets, these would have exploded, spewing a powder 15 times stronger than pepper spray and leaving Mr. Stocking-Cap with two red, nickel-size welts.

These hurt, Avurt's self-defense expert, Craig Burris, said — and he should know. "You have to test against a human target, because nothing else can represent human flesh and bone," he said. About 35 times, that test flesh was his.

Chen Levy, a saleswoman at a nearby jewelry store, didn't like the idea of shooting anyone. "I wouldn't use a gun — it's scary," she said. Then she tried out the Avurt and hit the target, too.

"Something like this," she said, "I would use."

("Very often, we get women who just don't want to leave the trailer," Mr. Burris said. "They just want to keep shooting.")

What enthuses these ladies — I hope — is that while the Avurt is powerful, even painful, it affords protection that is not lethal. And that's exactly what the Taser C2 has going for it.

"Law enforcement refers to it as ‘the missing tool in the tool box,'" a spokesman for Taser International, Steve Tuttle, said. "There's a big void between pepper spray and firearms, so we filled that gap."

Press the Taser trigger and two needle-sharp probes sink into the assailant. These are attached to wires that deliver an electrical current, disabling the attacker's muscles.

Like his rival at Avurt, Mr. Tuttle's job has included time as a human target, too. The various Taser models jolt a little differently, he has learned. But you wouldn't notice, "unless you're a Taser connoisseur — which I happen to be."

While the Taser has been implicated in at least 100 deaths, according to reports by Amnesty International, whether the gun was responsible for those deaths is still undetermined. So far, the overwhelmingly majority of fatalities seem to have been those with high levels of drugs in their system or a history of cardiac problems. Mr. Tuttle claims that the Taser — used in 11,500 police departments nationwide — actually saves lives because it gives police an alternative to live ammo.

Meanwhile, the Avurt folks, whose professional model is used in about 3,000 police departments, claim that their gun is the safest. They also hope eventually to make it the smallest. How small?

"We call it the lipstick version," Mr. Sutton said.

More saliently, when it goes on sale, the average New Yorker will only be allowed to carry an Avurt, and even that will require a background check. Stun guns are outlawed for civilians here.

Thus, while Taser is already gearing up for a busy Christmas season elsewhere in America, here in New York it will be the Avurt under the tree.

Or hard candy, of course, which is what I still prefer … for the time being.

http://www.nysun.com/article/61499

expvideo

imported post

This isn't a new concept. I have a pepperspray gun that looks like one of those 4 barrel 357COP guns. It's smaller and looks more like a gun. Unfortunately, they haven't made rounds for it since the 70's or 80's.

expvideo

imported post

no idea. they haven't made cartriges for it since the 70's or 80's. They're the tubes in the picture. they are rim fire, and that's all I really know about them. The gun itself is the size of a pocket pistol. It's very small.