• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Warning Open Carry Is Dangerous!

Skuggi

imported post

Warning Open Carry is Very Dangerous In Your HOME! I came in and sat down to look through the forums here, unaware I was too close to the sofa arm rest and BAM hit the but of the gun and the rest of the gun hits me right in the rib, feels like I almost cracked the bloody thing lol.

Yea, i thought the title would grab your attention but laughter here is the best medicine, i'm already bruising lol.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I have done the same thing several times. Especially sitting down in the car; the holster can catch the armrest, and put a hurting on your side. Good luck with the bruise...

Drewesque

imported post

[align=left]I have a tendency to catch my elbow when messing with my chair. Whole arm goes numb for a few seconds. What if a BG came in while my right arm was still feeling the effect of that. It could be devastating!
[/align]

Skuggi

imported post

Ouch yea, I've done that one too, just recently when my girlfriend decided to tickle me smacked it right dead on with the cocked indicator on my XD was numb for a good 10 minutes. Guess I may be accident prone yet have never had an AD go figure lol.

Drewesque wrote:
[align=left]I have a tendency to catch my elbow when messing with my chair. Whole arm goes numb for a few seconds. What if a BG came in while my right arm was still feeling the effect of that. It could be devastating!
[/align]

Drewesque

imported post

Skuggi wrote:
Ouch yea, I've done that one too, just recently when my girlfriend decided to tickle me smacked it right dead on with the cocked indicator on my XD was numb for a good 10 minutes. Guess I may be accident prone yet have never had an AD go figure lol.

Drewesque wrote:
[/align]
I, too, carry an XD, so I know the feeling of that indicator catching the tendon. It almost makes me want to carry my Steyr. Its shape might lower the frequency of this stuff.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Add me to the listen of funny bone vs. gun incidents. That crap hurts! I've also rubbed an irritated spot on the inside of my forearm, before, after carrying all day.. I have a habit of tapping my wallet in my pocket a lot (to make sure it's there) and I've also quickly picked up the habit of rubbing my arm against my gun as I walk once in a while to verify its location...not that it ever moves, lol. Guess it's just an unconcious safety measure.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I do the same exact things; wallet and gun! That's crazy! A little freaky, too, by the way!

vrwmiller

imported post

*raises his hand*

I've elbowed the spur on my pistol. that hurts! In fact, it happened twice this past week :(

I am also in the habit of having my arm in near constant contact with the pistol. Especially while stationary, like in a line or something.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I am also in the habit of having my arm in near constant contact with the pistol. Especially while stationary, like in a line or something.
Yeah, I keep my arm close if not tight on her when I'm standing around other people, like at a check-out line. I also move it there when people pass by...better safe than sorry.
I do the same exact things; wallet and gun! That's crazy! A little freaky, too, by the way!
haha yeah, a little weird, but at the same time it doesn't suprise me. The "wallet tap" has saved me a couple of times from forgetting it at home, in the car, or worse, at work or somewhere else. Now that I think about it, I also do that with my cellphone in my front pocket (always on the left.....always) and my keys in the front right pocket. I need to start doing that with the knife in my back right pocket, since I just went through 3 days of thinking I lost my rather expensive microtech blade. (turns out it was on my bedstand under a sheet of bubble wrap...don't ask.)

Drewesque

imported post

DreQo wrote:
I have a habit of tapping my wallet in my pocket a lot (to make sure it's there) and I've also quickly picked up the habit of rubbing my arm against my gun as I walk once in a while to verify its location...not that it ever moves, lol. Guess it's just an unconcious safety measure.

I keep my wallet on a chain, which I tug just enough to let me feel the wallet, and my left hand checks the cell phone often enough. And my right arm doesn't move while I walk, which keeps it right at the gun, usually. That's not just when I'm OCing, though--it's a habit I picked up before I even started carrying.

My friends comment on the fact that I don't need to swing my arms when I walk. I often hook my pocket with my thumb so that it looks more natural, but they've seen that it doesn't matter what my hands are doing.

xmirage2kx

imported post

I think the Gun/wallet/cell-phone tap is a common thing. Between my gun, knife, cell-phone, pager, wallet, phone ear piece, lighter, contacts, eye drops, multi-tool, flashlight, and large wad of keys I think my pants weigh in about 20lbs. It would be like dancing the Macarena to constantly check everything I carry.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Even worse than that, with a gun on my belt my jeans now try to fall down at the urinal. :what:
Be careful, guns have a tendancy to leap into the toilet without notice....

come to think of it, though, why don't you just use your fly and leave your belt buckled?? lol

nickerj1

imported post

That's really why Senator Larry Craig had his legs spread into the adjourning stalls. He was trying to pull up and buckle his pants with a holstered gun on. We all know how hard that is.

Basic Guy

imported post

I always figured that OC should be dangerous - for thugs, theives, and other BG-wannabees who want to break the law without consequences. The more John & Jane Public who OC, the more dangerous it is for criminals.

For all others it should be peace and comfort.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Basic Guy wrote:
I always figured that OC should be dangerous - for thugs, theives, and other BG-wannabees who want to break the law without consequences. The more John & Jane Public who OC, the more dangerous it is for criminals.

For all others it should be peace and comfort.
Peace, yes, comfort?weeelll...talk to your elbow and ribs about that...ya know, 'cause that IS the point of this thread and all :p

Basic Guy

imported post

Yeah, I don't have the problem being discussed because I have a different problem - arms are way too long to use a standard strong side holster. Standing normally I have to reach UP a couple inches to grip a pistol in a THIGH holster.

My usual carry holster is a cross draw which I never have bumped my elbow on.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ya know, he does have a point. The few times that I have carried cross draw, it has seemed to be much more comfortable, and it feels more secure at the same time. The only problem is that it just looks odd, I think. The g/f says I look like one of those idiots that doesn't know how to carry a gun (we get a lot of those over here at the carry classes...).

Oh, yeah, and then there's the lag time and obvious movement involved with cross-draw...but over all, it seems to eliminate most of the problems we've discussed lol.

unrequited

imported post

OC/CC HURTS YOUR LOVED ONES!

I've had my loving girlfriend go to grab my side, or give me a hug and get an armfull of XD instead. She got a bruise on her forearm after a particularly nasty one. : (

Kingfish

imported post

Talking about the wallet tap...I have a checklist before I leave the house.

Specticles
Testicles
Wallet
Keys
Cell Phone
Smokes
Zippo
and
Pistol

I go through it just about every time I leave the house. This morning for example, I was running late and did a wallet tap about 10 miles down the road and had to go back to the house...Forgot to run down the checklist.

The only real soreness carrying causes is when I have to CC the backside of the thumb break snap on one of my IWB holsters digs into my side if I don't wear an undershirt.