• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

John Warner will not seek re-election

vt357

imported post

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/08/31/warner/index.html

I for one will not be sad to see him go. While he would always respond to my emails or letters (unlike Webb), he would always veil his answers in doubt. He would say he supports the second amendment, then spout off something about being a grandfather and needing gun control for them. Based on his answer to my email to him about the new NRA/McArthy bill, he seems to support more infringement.

I personally would like to see George Allen back in the Senate again. He will support our 2nd Amendment rights for sure. Are there any other candidates (republican or democrat) that are truly progun and also have a change of winning? I was not very active in politics during Mark Warner's term as governor - how did he vote on pro-gun bills?

zoom6zoom

imported post

The leading Republican candidate at the moment appears to be Tom Davis. On the Dem side the name bandied about is former Gov. Mark Warner.

I've always considered Sen Warner a waste. He basically got into office on the "dead man's seat" plan and just kept getting re-elected.

TEX1N

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
The leading Republican candidate at the moment appears to be Tom Davis. On the Dem side the name bandied about is former Gov. Mark Warner.
So you have a RINO v. a possible DINO?!? You've got to love our choices, huh?!?

vrwmiller

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
I actually heard heard Jim Gilmores name floated out there as well.
Jim Gilmore, last I heard, was campaigning for the GOP nomination for President. Has that changed?

I'm sure he hasn't a snowballs chance...so, perhaps he may be considering it?

67GT390FB

imported post

i believe gilmore has already dropped out of the presidential hunt.

edit found this on wiki so take it for what its worth:

On July 14, 2007, Gilmore announced that he was ending his campaign and said in an interview that he was approached to run for either the Governorship in 2009 or the U.S. Senate in 2008 should Sen. John Warner retire. Citing the difficulty of raising enough money to be competitive in early-voting states of Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina, Gilmore said that it would be "impractical" to run.[[/suP]

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Good riddens Warner...don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you.
I wonder if he needs help clearing out his office I can start helping tonight.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

George Allen's name has also been mentioned. If he can successfully rehabilitate himself over that "macaca" comment, he might have a shot. He has genuine conservative bona fides, and I don't think he really is a racist. He just made a stupid, bone-headed comment and should have known better. He sure paid dearly for it, and now we're saddled with that Webb guy who can't even keep track of his carry piece. (Then let an underling twist in the wind over it. Real classy.)

Forty-five

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
George Allen's name has also been mentioned. If he can successfully rehabilitate himself over that "macaca" comment, he might have a shot...
I wish, but it will be hard for him to rehab with the way the Washington comPost treats him. The problem hehas is the many liberal newcomers to Northern Virginia who left holes like New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts because they heard Virginia was a nice place,to live and/or raise a family (jobs, low crime, good schools). Unfortunately, these liberals don't make the connection that the reason Virginia is a nice state is because of its conservative values. So, they keep voting for the same crap that made their former states a mess. I see and hear it all the time, whether its colleagues in the office, parents of little leaguers, etc. They just don't/won't make the connection. Anyway, they don't know Allen, but they readthe comPost's take on him and are turned off.