• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does anybody have a copy of Tuesday's Daily Press?

Kevin108

imported post

From http://www.dailypress.com/news/opinion/dp-ed_tueltrs_08284aug28,0,4369233.story

Guns for defense
August 28, 2007

Reference the editorial "Fun and firearms," Aug. 10: Why would you have any of our constitutional rights suspended in a public place? The gun-rights crowd never complains that a reporter shows up to an event.

Did you know firearms are used defensively over 2.5 million times a year? Did you know in over 80 percent of self-defense cases when the victim can produce a firearm no one, not even the criminal, is injured?

Just because you imagine gun owners to be unsafe doesn't make it so.

Kevin Hix
Portsmouth

(Edited because the forum did some weird stuff with the formatting as copied from the link.)

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I saw it in Tuesday's edition, but that went out with recycling on Thursday. Good work. On the rare occasions I have done the same, they have significantly edited and bowdlerized my letters.

Ghettokracker71

imported post

"Even if you are scared of guns due to violence, please put away your immature emotional feelings for just a moment,and think about facts. Fact is, no matter what, people will harm/kill/'wrong due' other people. Its sad,but true. Guns and other weapons donot 'caus crimes. If you -honestly- believe an ananimate object is capable of changing ones moral believes,and makes them 'evil',then you really have a mental problem. That being said, anti-gun crowds look at "feeling" safe, when pro-gun crowds look at actually being safe. Would you rather be scared,and have alot less chance of being hurt?"

--What I posted in reponse. It did not ask me my location, but somehow it thinks I live in Texas...interesting.