• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MMM Sightings?

les_aker

imported post

What happened to the NOVA MMM chapter? I saw a woman shopping at Giant in Springfield today wearing a MMM t-shirt. It reminded me that I haven't heard anything out of them in a while. None of their flyers have been up at the places where I shop. I haven't been any announcements of their meetings. Etc.

Have they gone into hiding? I didn't even see them in the coverage of the VT report.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Just an opinion:

Might be better to just leave the MMMers alone. No needfor TrainwreckIII....:uhoh:

vrwmiller

imported post

They've gone into hiding or gone underground, apparently. There are those here that think that the meetings didn't go well for the pro-rights group, but those are just opinions from those that didn't attend.

For those that did attend, it was obvious that those that opine an oposing view really don't know what they're talking about.

les_aker

imported post

I would tend to agree with you. Had the MMM gotten any real traction at all, they would be all over the place. Including making sure they got a lot of attention with the release of the VT report.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MMM talks big, but from what I can tell, they are in reality a rather small group of clueless zealots. They get trotted out by the media periodically so the anti-gun agenda gets some public airing, but after that, they are put back in their box and forgotten about until next needed. Remember, they almost collapsed a few years back, but were picked up by the Brady Bunch, and given a safe haven.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

les_aker wrote:
What happened to the NOVA MMM chapter? I saw a woman shopping at Giant in Springfield today wearing a MMM t-shirt. It reminded me that I haven't heard anything out of them in a while. None of their flyers have been up at the places where I shop. I haven't been any announcements of their meetings. Etc.

Have they gone into hiding? I didn't even see them in the coverage of the VT report.

You can go to their web site and register to be added to their mailing list. I think then you'll get notified of some of the gatherings.

They tend to be less than welcoming of the light of day, for fear some crazy gun nut like you or me might attend.

I notice that on the 28th they kept their protests away from where those of us who can legally carry openly might attend.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
MMM talks big, but from what I can tell, they are in reality a rather small group of clueless zealots.
I'd agree that they are zealots. And I'd say that they are only a small political group. But they are hardly clueless. They still can get some favorable PR and news coverage.

Dutch Uncle wrote:
They get trotted out by the media periodically so the anti-gun agenda gets some public airing, but after that, they are put back in their box and forgotten about until next needed. Remember, they almost collapsed a few years back, but were picked up by the Brady Bunch, and given a safe haven.

You appear to not understand thatroutinely getting called upon by the media for pronouncements and content on an issueis an asset.

MMM, as small of a force as it really is, has somepolitical capital and some access to the media to disseminate its message. Do they deserve such easy access? Sure. They work for it, although they have an unfair advantage. And they have some clues about PR and how to get that done. Is it any kind of relevant factor that MMM almost folded a while back? I don't see how.

That said, the news coverage of the August 28th national protests on gun violence wasscanty. Not very much participation by the antis, it seems. And not a huge amount of news coverage is evident on Google News.

It is clearer and clearer that the pro-gun/rights advocacy position is in the ascendance in this country. Even after a major blip like the VT Massacre.

That is a continuation of a long trend of generally favorable good news for the pro-gun/rights side.

I wouldn't go barging into another MMM meeting and give them some kind of issue to build up into a cause célèbre. Now, that would be clueless...

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

G00gle 'news', huh. Compare the coverage of gun news and pro-gun news on pro-gun sites to what G00gle links. G00gle is a left-wing left-coast enterprise and no friend of freedom - same as e-bay and yoohoo ad nauseam.

The mainstream media is integral to the gun-grabbers.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

les_aker

imported post

HankT wrote:

You appear to not understand thatroutinely getting called upon by the media for pronouncements and content on an issueis an asset.

MMM, as small of a force as it really is, has somepolitical capital and some access to the media to disseminate its message. Do they deserve such easy access? Sure. They work for it, although they have an unfair advantage. And they have some clues about PR and how to get that done. Is it any kind of relevant factor that MMM almost folded a while back? I don't see how.

That said, the news coverage of the August 28th national protests on gun violence wasscanty. Not very much participation by the antis, it seems. And not a huge amount of news coverage is evident on Google News.

It is clearer and clearer that the pro-gun/rights advocacy position is in the ascendance in this country. Even after a major blip like the VT Massacre.

That is a continuation of a long trend of generally favorable good news for the pro-gun/rights side.

I wouldn't go barging into another MMM meeting and give them some kind of issue to build up into a cause célèbre. Now, that would be clueless...

Over the course of my lifetime, I have discovered that the best defense is often a stong offense. This is particularly true in situations where your opponent is completely irrational.

When an organization announces that it is holding a public meeting in a public building and is specifically inviting the public to attend, then it is inappropriate to characterize anyone attending as having "barged" into the meeting. Anyone that wants to find out what the organization is planning should in fact attend. Looking at the video of the MMM meetings in question, I don't see anyone protesting, shouting, waving signs, etc that might have disrupted their meeting. I don't see anyone blocking the door such that people can't enter the room. I don't see anyone being shouted down in an attempt to keep them from speaking. Which is very much in contrast to the MMM's behavior at the VCDL "Bloomberg Gun Giveaway" meeting earlier this summer.

For me the answer is pretty simple. Backing up and agreeing to compromise only leads to additional demands for irrational compromise cast as being "reasonable". A right unexercised because someone might be uncomfortable is a right lost. I'll continue to keep a watchful eye on irrational and misinformed people and groups for the same reasons that I pay attention to whether there are termites in my house or poisonous snakes in my garden. They are a danger to the health and safety of me and my family.

CPerdue

imported post

Amen.

And do feed the trolls, they make for good targets - er- practice countering stupidity. It can be tiring dealing with them, but what good training isn't?

C.

Jason Rogers

imported post

Your post reminds me that I need to renew my membership in the Four Million Citizen March... you know the NRA. At the big original MMM in DC only like 20,000 showed. I am inclined to believe the MMM membership has declined precipitously ever since. Read in papers the other day all MMM/Rainbow Coalition PUSH demonstrations on the anniversary of Dr. Kings death where a total bust all over the nation.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The Millionty Mad Mommies staged a bus tour through cities of the southeast a few years ago, starting in DC I think. They were trying to set up new chapters, but despite free publicity from the "unbiased" media, they had huge crowds like 3,4 , sometimes as many as 6 or 8 people show up. I believe they finally cancelled their tour when they realized they were wasting precious money on gas and meals. This is just a front organization, folks. Their river is very wide, but it has no depth. I'm not saying they should be ignored, because they can always parlay their name recognition into political power through the MSM megaphone. Anyone who bothers to go to their meetings should ask about their membership numbers.

(Just kidding....they'd make something up.)