• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

any good gun ranges in allentown ?

imperialism2024

imported post

That depends. If you're decently good at shooting, I like The Firing Line, which is up 145 past Whitehall. If you're heading on 145 north, it's the first left after you pass the junction with 329. You then make the first right, and go all the way up the hill, and it's on the right. It's combined with a fitness center. I don't know when they open, but they run until about 8PM on weekdays and 3PM on weekends. The only catch is that the owner is very strict about staying on the target, and operating the gun in a safe manner, as it's an indoor range. But, as long as all your shots hit your target, and you keep the gun pointed down range at all times, you won't have any problems. It's also relatively inexpensive... I don't know exact prices, but for a friend of mine and I to rent a lane for an hour, including rental of a Kimber Target, many targets, two boxes of .44 Magnum ammo (for my revolver), and two boxes of .45, it comes out to around $100.

As for outdoor ranges, I'm a member of Tri-Boro sportsman's club in Northampton, but I don't think they're accepting anymore new members. I don't know of any other outdoor ranges in the area, but just because I never looked.

imperialism2024

imported post

Well, you could always go to the state gameland near the intersection of 309 and 100. They have a pistol range there, though it isn't very good, but it's a pistol range. You can only have 3 rounds in the pistol at any given time, though, or else the game warden will cite you, making it rather inconvenient, especially since the rule at all the other state gamelands in PA is 6 rounds in a handgun. But... it's free, and no one really cares if you miss the target by a few feet, as long as you're not pointing the gun at other people...

Secrettrance

Founder's Club Member
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Well, you could always go to the state gameland near the intersection of 309 and 100. They have a pistol range there, though it isn't very good, but it's a pistol range. You can only have 3 rounds in the pistol at any given time, though, or else the game warden will cite you, making it rather inconvenient, especially since the rule at all the other state gamelands in PA is 6 rounds in a handgun. But... it's free, and no one really cares if you miss the target by a few feet, as long as you're not pointing the gun at other people...

Ahem.. State Gamelands USED to have a pistol range. They decided to bulldoze that part of the range after some yahoo's got a little outside of normal. You can still shoot handguns there of course but its fairly pointless unless you bring your own standup targets. :banghead:

MrUgly

imported post

You could try Sunset Hill up in Tannersville. Easy way to get the from Allentown:
North on 33, Take I-80 West to Tannersville Exit
At the off ramp, turn right
Stay in right lane, next light (611) turn right.
50 yards, turn left.
First stop sign, turn left.
3/4 of a mile up the road on the left.

http://sunsethill.slvrcreek.com/home.htm

They have quite a few rental guns in various calibers. Expensive ($6 for 6 rounds!), but for a new shooter that have a nice selection.

imperialism2024

imported post

Secrettrance wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:

Ahem.. State Gamelands USED to have a pistol range. They decided to bulldoze that part of the range after some yahoo's got a little outside of normal. You can still shoot handguns there of course but its fairly pointless unless you bring your own standup targets. :banghead:
When did they do that? I could have sworn they were still there when I went toward the beginning of July.

Well, at any rate it's a good opportunity to practice one's handgun skills at 100 yards. Try getting a 6" spread out there...