• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

so I almost broke a guy's wrist in wal-mart...

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

So when I don't feel like/can't open carry, and don't feel like/can't conceal it under my clothing, I wear a versipack from maxpedition.

0413b_152_detail.jpg

It basically looks like a super tactical purse when I wear it, lol. (the water bottle pouch on the right side can collapse down to nothing.) I throw it over my shoulder and keep it behind my weak side. The gun is angled to be drawn cross-draw style, but I can easily take it out with my left hand, as well. It's not a fast draw, but it's a safe and very concealed way to carry.

Anyway, so I was wearing this in wal-mart, and had stopped to take a look at something on the shelf. Two young guys (early 20's) popped around the corner, and the first guy said "nice bag" sarcastically, as he put his hand on it. My adrenaline was instantly through the roof and my muscles clenched...I was already bracing myself and moving my hand backwards when I realized he only tapped it and continued on. Had he done any more than that, I was already planning on grabbing his wrist and rendering it useless....

I felt weird afterwards, like I was over-reacting...I'm not sure now, lol. I guess it was better than not being aware at all...

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

I have the same purse.. err, I mean BAG :)
(Mapedition Jumob) but mine is khaki.

Anyway, I get lots of compliments on it, you shoulkd expect the same. But don't let that get your guard down. The fact you reacted is good, if you didn't I would be worried :)

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

DreQo wrote:
I felt weird afterwards, like I was over-reacting...I'm not sure now, lol. I guess it was better than not being aware at all...

I don't think youover-reacted since you didn't really do anything. You didn't do anything because there was no need to. No threat.

Deacon Blues

imported post

It sounds like you moved smoothly from Condition Yellow up through Red and back, reassessing the situation throughout. Well done.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

CRAP I just closed the window I was typing in...

Anyway, I've had that bag for a while, and I have gotten a few compliments :). My g/f bought it for me a few months ago, and its original purpose was to be a range bag/day pack, but it's turned into my purse, basically. At any given time I usually have my gun, a holster, shooting glasses array, ear plugs, a digital camera, and my steel tip darts in there. It's also nice if I need to hold anything for a friend/girlfriend.

It works great as a range bag, too, since I can keep all of my ammo in there and accessories on my left hip, and still have my gun holstered on my right hip. I use the velcro holster made by 5.11, since they had them for sale SUPER cheap at the exchange on base. I can take that bag anywhere, and I have yet to meet anyone who acted like they knew what was in it (the gun, that is.) Well, except for the guys at the local gun shop. I wandered in there one day asking about the sights on my gun, and he said "well let me take a look" and pointed at the bag before I had said anything :) I guess I should expect them to be a little more observant, though.

I've heard from someone else that the bag is also good for going into places where handguns are technically not allowed, but common sense says the risk is worth the consequences. Not that I ever have, or ever will, break the law.

Anyway I guess you're right, I reacted appropriately but didn't hurt anyone, so I did the right thing. Now I almost wish I would have put him down, and caused a scene, so I could have educated him on why not to touch other people's things lol. Oh well :)

Legba

imported post

Sorry, but "tactical purse" does sound funny. Just don't brandish your eau de toilette when you mean to get at the pepper spray...

-ljp

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

DreQo wrote:
Anyway I guess you're right, I reacted appropriately but didn't hurt anyone, so I did the right thing. Now I almost wish I would have put him down, and caused a scene, so I could have educated him on why not to touch other people's things lol. Oh well :)

Don't forget, it's not a certainty that you would have prevailed. To use physical force in response to someone touching your bag escalates the situation by an order of magnitude. There were two of them, you said. And one might have been armed.

Or while you're breaking wrists and flinging blows upon the pair,maybe there were some other friends who might have joined in the fracas. Then, there is the possibility that the security guard or someoone else would get involved. If you're breaking somebody's arm for touching your bag, you might have some explaining to do. And if you pull out the ole pistola, you will have some explaining to do.

I don't think you missed anything. Just let it go.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ya know, Hank, that's twice you've actually made some good sound comments on a topic...I really appreciate that, lol. Anyway, yeah, had I followed through it COULD have turned into a brawl, lol...and the shelves could have fallen over and Chuck Norris could have taken their side...omg that would have been scary.

Anyway I don't think the explaining would have been hard. "Why did you flip out on this guy? Because he grabbed my bag.. Ok, so you break his wrist? My gun is in there. Oh......" End of discussion, lol.

But yeah it's all said and done. I'll be heading back to wal-mart again today...but this time I'll just throw it in the ol' holster :).

expvideo

imported post

I like the idea of being polite and friendly to everyone I meet. I smile and make conversation, but in the back of my mind, I have a plan in the event that I have to neutralize them. I think that's a good thing. I am not an edgy person, and I don't intimidate easily. I also treat people with respect and dignity, and not as if they are all criminals out to get me. I am a pacifist in most respects, but there is a line. If that line is crossed, I won't hesitate to put that little plan in the back of my mind into action.

That line is puting the people I care about in danger. I don't think it's ok to go around breaking peoples' wrists for touching your bag. Get yourself a holster. If this bag puts people in danger for inadvertantly coming into contact with it, then it is the wrong way to carry.

If someone touched my gun or my holster of course I'd be making a fast movement that involved their arm/wrist going in directions it's not supposed to, but that's ok because it's a holstered handgun and theguy knew he wasn't supposed to touch it. Obviously the guy didn't know that your bag contained a pistol.

Again, I think the bag was the mistake, not him touching the bag.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ya know, Exp, I usually am a very polite person as well, but at the moment I think I'm going to deviate a bit. If you would have taken the time to read the WHOLE thread, instead of just the part you felt like responding to, you would have noticed that I DO have holster, and that I DO carry both openly and concealed with them. The bag is one of many ways that I exercise my right. You also apparently haven't read any of my other posts, otherwise you'd know that I openly carry the vast majority of the time. You have absolutely no basis for telling me what to do, nor making rude, slanderous comments about me to others.

Bags and fanny packshave beenproven to be a very practical form of carry in many situations. If you have any good, realistic, logical points to discuss this topic, I would very much like to hear them.

As far as my reaction goes, I would have done the same whether it was my gun, my wallet, or just a damn empty bag. It is rude and dangerous to walk up behind anyone and touch them or their things without warning. The guy shouldn't have to know there's a gun in there to know not to touch my things.

If you want to have civil discussions, I would be more than happy to do so, but DO NOT come on here and blatantly attack my choices and actions without any rhyme or reason. I am going to ask that you remove the comment you made in response to Kenny's, since it was obviously made not in jest, but rather as an insult. If you have anything else to say, please say it privately. We don't need immature bickering on this forum.
That's a nice pursue! What kind of shoes do you wear with it?
Normally I wear black leather casual dress shoes, or black nylon/leather boots. Ihave also worn my brown sandals, which I know is an absolute fashion no-no. :?:quirky

demonslaer

imported post

I heve one like that but my gun is on the outside my k-bar . same thing happend to me at lowes but 3 or4 guys maybe 20 or 25 until they saw the gun & knife then said ther sorry nad went the other way :lol::lol:

expvideo

imported post

DreQo wrote:
If you want to have civil discussions, I would be more than happy to do so, but DO NOT come on here and blatantly attack my choices and actions without any rhyme or reason. I am going to ask that you remove the comment you made in response to Kenny's, since it was obviously made not in jest, but rather as an insult. If you have anything else to say, please say it privately. We don't need immature bickering on this forum.
I'm not removing anything. People are going to disagree with you and you're going to have to deal with that. If you don't want me to comment on your personal matters, keep them personal and don't post them on a forum.

Obviously you missed my point, so I'll sum it up for you: If you feel that breaking someone's wrist is a reasonable reation to them touching your bag, you need to reassess the whole bag idea, because you have problems.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

expvideo wrote:
DreQo wrote:
I'm not removing anything. People are going to disagree with you and you're going to have to deal with that. If you don't want me to comment on your personal matters, keep them personal and don't post them on a forum.

Obviously you missed my point, so I'll sum it up for you: If you feel that breaking someone's wrist is a reasonable reation to them touching your bag, you need to reassess the whole bag idea, because you have problems.

Good for you, expvideo. I can't figure out why DreQuo would have you remove this:

expvideo wrote:
kenny wrote:
That's a nice pursue! What kind of shoes do you wear with it?
Careful, kenny. DreQo mightgo ninjaon your wrist!

It's just a comment of the bantering type. With a point that is pretty self-evident.

You know, it's really interesting how a community that is soooo derogatory about other (lib/Demo) groups being "PC" has members who will request/demand that you be somehow "PC" and remove your comment for no particularly good reason. Just because it offends him so...becaue it is not politically correct...

This is a discussion forum. Stuff gets discussed. As long as you don't go over the line--into insults, like callinga forum membera "complete idiot," "insane," "unqualifed to own guns" or something like that--you should be OK. As someone once said about this forum.:

Disagreeing is fine, we're two different people and likely have completely different backgrounds so that's to be expected. That is also our strength as a forum. What a boring place it would be if we all agreed with one another and had nothing to share but news clippings....

I don't like censorship one bit either and that's the reason I came to like OCDO so much

Censorship = bad

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Disagreeing is fine, different opinions are fine, discussion said opinions is fine. The way you presented your different opinion was rude and immature. On top of that, you then proceeded to make an insulting comment. Was it made in jest? Perhaps. Was your intention to insult me? Perhaps not. I, however, am insulted, and decided to clearly and maturely explain that to you.

I thought perhaps you'd have enough maturity and respect for others to admit that you, all though not intentionally, insulted someone, andwould responsibly apologize and, if possible, take the comment back. Apparently that maturity and respect isn't there.

Oh, and Hank, I if you'll notice I'm TALKING to expvideo in hopes of communicating my thoughts, and am listening to his and trying to respond to them accordingly. This is because, even though we are disagreeing, he seems to be an intelligent person, and it also seems that he wasn't intentionally trying to piss me off.

With that being said, I'm thoroughly convinced that YOU have every intention of pissing people off, and the only thing I have to say to you is shut the hell up.

expvideo

imported post

I was making fun of you. I'm not sorry for it, and I'm not appologizing to you. I still think you over-reacted, and you've done a fine job of demonstrating that same over-reaction on this thread.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Well in that case it sounds like you and HankT might be good butt buddies. It's good to know that immature assholes are fighting to protect our rights, too. I'd hate it if it was only the smart, nice guys.

expvideo

imported post

I see you're doing a wonderful job of not losing your temper and over-reacting. Kind of makes me wonder about the incident at walmart...

mike m

imported post

In some very famous words i know all of you rember......( can't we all just get along)

haha! just joking guy's dont cut my head off.