Thread: Visiting Detroit

Post imported post

Hello all,

I plan on visiting Detroit Michigan next spring. I am from VA and have a CHP. I have looked on HandGunLaw.us and noticed that MI does not honor VA permit but says VA Res Permit Only. So will I be able to CC in MI? Is it ok to OC in MI? Is there anything that I should know about before visiting?

Thanks!

Post imported post

Can't help you with the interstate legal questions, other than to say I would strongly reccomend you NOT open carry in Detroit if you mean Detroit specifically, suburbs being a different story. Detroit cops are among the stupidest people anywhere. Sure, some are smart, but the way that department is run is horrendously bad. I wouldn't do anything to get their attention if I were you.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Accomplished Advocate

Post imported post

As I understand it, Michigan honors ANY resident permit from any state. IANAL

Post imported post

Check out the Michigan State Police Website. There is a FAQ section, as well as a receprocity section.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...654---,00.html

Post imported post

The way you have the statement worded is confusing. You say that you read that MI does not honor VA, but then you turn around and say that it honors resident only.
    To answer your question, yes, MI does honor permits from every state, but only if the person is a resident of the state from which they have the permit. Nonresident permits are not recognized there. Even though there is technically nothing illegal about open carry while on foot, it is not worth the hassle in hoplophobic Detroit. Just carry concealed while there.