• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Detroit

Diesel23

imported post

Hello all,

I plan on visiting Detroit Michigan next spring. I am from VA and have a CHP. I have looked on HandGunLaw.us and noticed that MI does not honor VA permit but says VA Res Permit Only. So will I be able to CC in MI? Is it ok to OC in MI? Is there anything that I should know about before visiting?

Thanks!

Michigander

imported post

Can't help you with the interstate legal questions, other than to say I would strongly reccomend you NOT open carry in Detroit if you mean Detroit specifically, suburbs being a different story. Detroit cops are among the stupidest people anywhere. Sure, some are smart, but the way that department is run is horrendously bad. I wouldn't do anything to get their attention if I were you.

tattedupboy

imported post

The way you have the statement worded is confusing. You say that you read that MI does not honor VA, but then you turn around and say that it honors resident only.
To answer your question, yes, MI does honor permits from every state, but only if the person is a resident of the state from which they have the permit. Nonresident permits are not recognized there. Even though there is technically nothing illegal about open carry while on foot, it is not worth the hassle in hoplophobic Detroit. Just carry concealed while there.