• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Massive police presence in Annandale tonight

tapper95

imported post

(ignore the quote boxes... not sure what happened... the whole post is mine originally...)
That's why I'm here... To educate myself... I got my CHP a couple months ago, although I have been shooting since I was about 6 years old... My dad started teaching me with a .22 revolver and a .22 rifle...
I know a lot of the laws, but I still go looking for information as events (or places I want to carry) come up. I had my first full blown OC night last week with the Norolk City Council meeting, but I was in the presence of a large contingent of VCDL members, so I knew everything we were doing waslegal since VCDL isn't going to set up events in violation of the law...
In situations like your OC walk in Annandale, the police will usually give you the benefit of the doubt if you are a responsible looking adult... Similarly, right before our dinner at Freemason Abbey in Norfolk (before the Norfolk City Council mtg....) I was standing outside the restaurant waiting for more peoplewith 2 other VCDL members and all three of us were OCing... The woman in the hair salon next door and a dozen people who walked by us did not even give us a second look... All three of us were wearing collared shirts, were in our late 20's to early 30's, and had very short hair... Most probably made the easy assumption that we were plain clothes or off duty law enforcement... Preconceived notions (and sometimes even racial profiling) can play a big role in people's perceptions of these situations.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

DrMark wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:
I'm assuming it's "migrant workers
Indeed. Just check out the area around 236 and Hummer or the McDonald's. I've been mobbed by them coming up to my car at the 7-11 on weekends before. They are looking for work but see the pistol and step back real quick.
Oh, wow. Nothing like that around here.

No offense, but whenever I have to go to Northern Virginia, I feel like I'm in a foreign country.

No offense taken.. because what you say is true. One of the primary reasons I moved out of Arlington (there were others, for sure). This ain't the America in which I grew up.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
DrMark wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:
Indeed. Just check out the area around 236 and Hummer or the McDonald's. I've been mobbed by them coming up to my car at the 7-11 on weekends before. They are looking for work but see the pistol and step back real quick.

No offense, but whenever I have to go to Northern Virginia, I feel like I'm in a foreign country.

...Arlington .... This ain't the America in which I grew up.

I'm guessing that the native-Americans were saying exactly the same in the 1760s.

:cuss:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

HankT wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
DrMark wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:

I'm guessing that the native-Americans were saying exactly the same in the 1760s.

Not so sure I fully appreciate that little comment and I'm also not so sure where you were going with it.

Over the years I lived in Arlington (24) I watched it turn into something of a cesspool. Not that I'm all that surprised. The fact that it was rapidly turning into the United Nations didn't cheer me up. And then there was the new chief of police who wanted to be able to randomly search the homes of class 3 weapons owners to see how they stored their prized property. Did I mention the Arlington board member who made the comment that, "anyone who grew up in the 60's and says they didn't do drugs is either lying or they didn't get out much". And then there was the county park which bordered our property. It went from football and baseball and kite flying and just having fun in the open space to soccer and drinking and venting bladders and intestines in the open and fornicating. Yep, Latin America at our doorstep. Along with the broken fences and stands, and trash all over, and increased crime.

Nice picture of upscale Arlington.

Did I mention the corruption in the county government and police?

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
HankT wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
DrMark wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:

Not so sure I fully appreciate that little comment and I'm also not so sure where you were going with it.

Most of us just ignore Hank.