• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Out of state firearms purchase?

DeerForce1

imported post

I know a pistol or revolver purchase is not allowed from a state in which you are not a resident. But how about purchasing a rifle when outside your state of residence. I'll bedown here in Alabama for deer seasonor longer& just found an awesome deal on a Remington 7MM mag at of all places wal-mart. I'd like to go pick it up but i don't want to run the risk of getting in trouble if the purchase would be illegal.............................................................................DF1

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

DeerForce1 wrote:
I know a pistol or revolver purchase is not allowed from a state in which you are not a resident. But how about purchasing a rifle when outside your state of residence. I'll bedown here in Alabama for deer seasonor longer& just found an awesome deal on a Remington 7MM mag at of all places wal-mart. I'd like to go pick it up but i don't want to run the risk of getting in trouble if the purchase would be illegal.............................................................................DF1

Ask at Wal-Mart.

I was in Wal-Mart recently in Mesa, AZ, and they had a US map near the guns showing the states whose resident could purchase guns there.

apjonas

imported post

I'm not sure that this is directly related to the law but might be a quirky Wal*Mart policy. I have asked otherwise knowledgeable people at the gun counter and they have no idea why this restriction exists. If anybody has insight into this policy please pipe up. I also think it is company-specific because I haven't run into any other FFL with a similar policy.

DrMark wrote:
DeerForce1 wrote:

Ask at Wal-Mart.

I was in Wal-Mart recently in Mesa, AZ, and they had a US map near the guns showing the states whose resident could purchase guns there.

apjonas

imported post

If otherwise eligible, state of residence has no bearing on long gun purchases (barring the odd state law or dealer policy (Wal*Mart)). Ask for an explanation if refused.

DeerForce1 wrote:

DeerForce1

imported post

apjonas wrote:
If otherwise eligible, state of residence has no bearing on long gun purchases (barring the odd state law or dealer policy (Wal*Mart)). Ask for an explanation if refused.

That's what i was hoping (& somewhat thought). It looks like i'll be going shopping in the morning:celebrate. I just didn't want to get in trouble in case it was not legal & the sales guy called the police to report an attempted illegal firearms purchase. I feel much better about it now.

I'm getting the Remington model 710 in 7mm mag w/ a factory mounted scope already bore sighted. It's basically Rems low end model 700. I wasa trying to decide between this & the 700 Sendero in 7mm mag. The Sendero runs about $1,000.oo & the 710 runs about 400.oo at home so i figure 275.oo is a bargan.

Thanks................................................................DF1

acrimsontide

imported post

I think this will answer your question about legally purchasing a rifle in Alabama. Hope this helps.

(this is the link to the code posted below)http://www.ago.alabama.gov/issue/Alabama_Weapon_Law.pdf

[align=left]§ 13A-11-58. Sale of firearms or[/align]
[align=left]ammunition to residents of adjoining[/align]
[align=left]states; purchase in adjoining states.[/align]

[align=left](a) Any resident of Alabama authorized to sell and[/align]
[align=left]deliver rifles, shotguns and ammunition may sell[/align]
[align=left]and deliver them to a resident of any state[/align]
[align=left]adjoining Alabama. Any purchaser of such firearm[/align]
[align=left]or ammunition may take or send it out of the state[/align]
[align=left]or have it delivered to his place of residence.[/align]
[align=left](b) Any resident of Alabama who legally purchases[/align]
[align=left]rifles, shotguns and ammunition in any state[/align]
[align=left]adjoining Alabama may take delivery of said[/align]
[align=left]weapons either in the state where they were[/align]
purchased or in Alabama

DeerForce1

imported post

Doug, I've heard that before from several people who believe in it 100%. I mostly (85%)agree & i may upgrade the scope next year depending on how well i like this 1. I've got a really nice scope i need to send in for repairs. It got dropped hard eye piece first w/ the weight of the shot gun & knocked the eye piece just loose enough to give it a wandering zero. If i get it fixed in time it will go on the new rifle.

Thanks everyone. I went out monday morning & picked up the Remington 710 in 7mm mag. They had a US map on the wall that was colored to tell them which states you could live in & buy rifles out of state. The lady behind the counter seemed to really know what she was doing for once at wally world. Of course they had to carry my new rifle out of the store for me eventhough i was carrying a loadedKhar P-9 on me concealed. I still think that's funny everytime i read about them doing this.

They required everything in the paper work to be completely spelled out. For example my home state could not be "Va." it had to be "Virginia". But they said that was company policy. The important part is now i'm ready for deer season once i get it sighted in.....................................................................DF1

apjonas

imported post

This law has been overtaken by events. I know of no Alabama law that prohibits purchase of a long gun based upon residency. The statute quoted is a holdover from the days when federal law limited rifle and shotgun sales to adjacent state residents if state law had a provision allowing it. The federal law in question has long since been repealed and state laws such as this one are not required and are of no effect. Note that this law permitted something - it doesn't prohibit anything.

acrimsontide wrote:
I think this will answer your question about legally purchasing a rifle in Alabama. Hope this helps.

(this is the link to the code posted below)http://www.ago.alabama.gov/issue/Alabama_Weapon_Law.pdf

[align=left]§ 13A-11-58. Sale of firearms or ammunition to residents of adjoining states; purchase in adjoining states
(a) Any resident of Alabama authorized to sell and deliver rifles, shotguns and ammunition may sell and deliver them to a resident of any state adjoining Alabama. Any purchaser of such firearms or ammunition may take or send it out of the state or have it delivered to his place of residence. (b) Any resident of Alabama who legally purchases rifles, shotguns and ammunition in any state adjoining Alabama may take delivery of said weapons either in the state where they were
purchased or in Alabama
[/align]