• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LTCF to OC

Joker3092

imported post

I am very new to this website. I am a PA Native but stationed in VA with the Navy. I know the OC laws in VA, Which are wonderfull by the way!! However i keep seeing LTCF I'm guessing it means License To Carry Firearms?? Do i need a LTCF to OC in PA. What About getting a CCW. Any help Please?????

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Joker3092 wrote:
I am very new to this website. I am a PA Native but stationed in VA with the Navy. I know the OC laws in VA, Which are wonderfull by the way!! However i keep seeing LTCF I'm guessing it means License To Carry Firearms?? Do i need a LTCF to OC in PA. What About getting a CCW. Any help Please?????

Hey, Joker - WELCOME!:celebrate:monkey

First off, there is no such thing as a CCW license in PA. We only have one type of license (disregarding official use certifications for LE/security jobs, etc.)
That license is the PA License to Carry Firearms.
(LTCF)
Before we continue, understand that the definition of "firearm", per the Uniform Firearms Act is essentially handguns and short barelled rifles/shotguns. It does not included non NFA rifles or shotguns.

Alright, next we have to look at SS6106 of the UFA to see that concealed carry & carry (OC or CC) in a vehicle is prohibited unless you have a LTCF.
Then we look to ss6108. "Carrying firearms on public streets or public property in Philadelphia" to see that carrying either OC or CC is prohibited in Phila unless you ave a LTCF.

So to summarize.
Open carry: Legal while on foot everywhere other than Phila. No license required. If you have a LTCF you can also OC in vehicles and Phila.

Concealed carry: Not legal anywhere (other than your private property or property on which you have permission) UNLESS you possess a LTCF.

Prohibited places: Both OC and CC.
http://www.pafoa.org/forum/conceale...-cannot-carry-weapons-state-pennsylvania.html
==============================================================================================

The best summary you can print out and read is probably the PA Gun Rights Flyer:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum61/3424.html

Also check out www.paopencarry.org

imperialism2024

imported post

It should also be noted that unlicensed carry on foot is almost only legal if you leave your property with your firearm OCed. Aside from transporting to select places, it is illegal to transport a handgun in a motor vehicle. So, you can't, let's say, leave your home, stow your handgun and ammo in different containers in your trunk, drive to your destination, then take out said handgun, load it, and proceed to OC it on foot. Unless you only ever intend to OC to places within walking distance of your residence, you'll need a LTCF.

§6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.­

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

(b) Exceptions.-The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with rifle, pistol, or revolver, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the cartridges or shells are carried in a separate container and the rifle, pistol or revolver is unloaded.

(8) Any person while carrying a firearm unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section...

snipped from http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum46/4245.html