Thread: New member

Post imported post

I'm new here, and have been a 'lurker.' I have recently acquired my CCW permit, and was a bit disappointed when packing.org went down. This site has been very enlightening for me. When I took my CCW class a few months ago, the instructor ( a member of the LE community) explicitly told us that with a ccw permit, while concealed carry is legal, open carry was ... well, if you wanted to OC, you needed to be at least a reserve member of the local police dept. That seemed odd to me, but, as I was soon to have the ccw, it seemed a fairly moot point.

Thanks to you fine folks, I intend to start regular OC, obviously for self defense, but also in hopes that I can initiate some conversations as to what is legal and who can carry. Also to show that normal everyday folks can and DO carry, and that having a gun in your possession does not mean that you're an extremist, a trouble maker, nut case, or... a reason to be worried.

ALSO, I HIGHLY recommend that members of this forum consider the FrontSight Firearms Training 'Resort'. As you all already probably know, they offer the world's best (not just my opinion) training in defensive use of handguns, shotguns, rifles, and even full-auto M16 and uzi. Courses and memberships are a bit spendy; but, if you go to their site, and sign up for their 15 free reports, there are some VERY nice deals for first-timers. It's WELL worth it. FYI: FrontSight is located just southwest of Las Vegas. (No... I am not being compensated by them for this little plug.) The training is excellent -- and you'll have a blast. URL: www.FrontSight.com .

Taaango
    Sig P229, Mossberg 590a1
    "Nothing says back off like an ounce of lead."

Post imported post

Way too many instructors push their views instead of the law. After my CCW course I was told OC was illegal unless it was in your job scope, and even CC put you at a HUGE risk of being arrested and should only be done in bad neighborhoods. I left the class thinking I should just lock up my gun because I would be arrested or fined. As it turns out it is just the opposite, at least in Utah.

Post imported post

Sorry, can't remember where I read this, but it really stuck in my head...

"You should only carry a gun if you are going to need it!"

Uh-huh...

Post imported post

Taaango wrote:
    I'm new here, and have been a 'lurker.' I have recently acquired my CCW permit, and was a bit disappointed when packing.org went down. <snip>
    Taaango
    Sig P229, Mossberg 590a1
    "Nothing says back off like an ounce of lead."
    You may want to take a look at http://handgunlaw.us and http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws

Welcome, and GO AGGIES!

Post imported post

your instructor was one of those cops who thinks only HE should have been allowed to carry welcome! and im glad youve joined us! youll like it here!