• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to leave Value Village in Puyallup

compmanio365

imported post

I was at the Value Village on River Road in Puyallup (1124 River Rd, Puyallup, WA), looking for a coat for this winter. I had been there for approximately 5 minutes, I was in the men's coat aisle trying on various coats when I was approached by someone who worked there. She said that my gun was making people nervous and would I please leave. I asked if I could speak with the manager, and she replied that she was the manager. I then told her that there was no reason for anyone to be nervous, and that what I was doing was legal. She simply restated that other customers were nervous and that I would need to leave. I said that was her call but that I would like her name, store number, phone number for this store, district manager and his/her phone number, and the number for their corporate office. She said she did not know if this was a corporate or even a store policy, but since customers had complained that I would have to leave. I told her thank you for the information, but that unless I received a positive response from management, that I would be taking my business elsewhere in the future, and that I assumed those that shared the same desire to exercise their rights would be doing the same.

Nobody was rude throughout this affair, everyone was quite professional, but it is damn frustrating how you can't make these people understand that they are safer with someone who is open carrying than without. I mean, if I was really a threat, would I have left when asked? Why would I have been openly carrying my weapon I intended to later do harm to someone with? If I had been a police officer, would I have been asked to leave? Or is a police officer part of a special class of people that get to "make people nervous" and get away with it? I think we all know the answer.

I will be calling the district manager and asking to get clarification on their store policies, discussing the situation and how it was unnecessary to ask me to leave, etc.

just_a_car

imported post

I can't wait to hear what the response from higher-up is on this, since I assume there was no sign stating that weapons weren't allowed, as you didn't mention any.

Until then, they are on the Watch List.

compmanio365

imported post

There is no sign at that location.....I looked before I went into the store.

I have the call into the district manager and probably won't hear back until Tuesday at the earliest.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

If the gun was making people nervous she should have just told them "Oh, he's open carrying, that's perfectly legal. Bad guys hide there guns, so he must be a Good Guy. Let's go over and talk to him about getting our own guns."

:D

LoveMyCountry

just_a_car

imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
If the gun was making people nervous she should have just told them "Oh, he's open carrying, that's perfectly legal. Bad guys hide there guns, so he must be a Good Guy. Let's go over and talk to him about getting our own guns."

:D

LoveMyCountry
ROFL!!!... if only.

compmanio365

imported post

I heard from the district manager yesterday, unfortunately my cellphone was dead so all he could do was leave a message. He said he would call me back today, so if I talk to him I will post about what I hear.

Funny thing is, that day after the VV incident, we went out to Walmart, and I had not one, but three people notice and positively respond, and one was a Walmart employee who said she was also a member of the Tacoma Sportsmans Club, and she carried (I didn't ask, but I assume CC), but of course couldn't at work. There were a couple other people who nodded and smiled, and one group of teenage kids passed by and saw me carrying; one looked back and said "Whoa man, that's f***ing awesome!" I just nodded and smiled back at him. So that kinda made up for the crummy experience I had earlier in the day. :)

Then I found the coat I was looking for at K&G warehouse on Monday, the guy at the door greeted me and smiled, even though it was obvious that I was armed when walking in. I had no problems at all and found a really nice coat that was only $30. So that store is definitely recommended (at least the one in Tacoma).

yankees98a

imported post

Just wanted to add once you are asked to leave, mind your surroundings. Sometimes it might be better to get her name and get the rest of the information later. Technically once asked to leave, you are trespassing, so waiting for the information (especially since you are getting her in trouble) could cause an issue where she is hostile.

"I said that was her call but that I would like her name, store number, phone number for this store, district manager and his/her phone number, and the number for their corporate office. "

compmanio365

imported post

No, I have never heard back from this person; I made the last phone call to this person on Sept. 10th. Guess they don't want my business that badly; I simply make a point of not shopping at any Value Village until I get a positive response from their management.