• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VT shooting report, errors

paramedic70002

imported post

Forgive me if these particular points have been discussed. I just noticed them recently and sent the information to my local papers (not holding my breath)

-----------------------------------------------------

1. The VT Review Panel, in section VI-5, recommends that guns be banned on campus. Cho was already banned from having guns under VT's administrative rules.

Would a different ban have been more effective? Aren't the experts on this panel supposed to be intelligent?

2. On page 75 there is this statement:

"...the panel knows of no case in which a shooter in campus homicides has been shot or scared off by a student or faculty member with a weapon."

But Appendix L states of the Pearl, MS school shooting (#17):

"...the assistant principal retrieves a .45 pistol from the glove compartment of his truck and subdues Woodham..."

Appendix L also discusses (#30) the Appalachian Law School shooting in Grundy, VA, that, though not stated in the report, was ended when two students armed themselves and confronted the shooter. This fact was not widely reported in the mainstream news media.

Could this exhaustive review and report have actually overlooked the fact that they were unaware of an incident that was reported in their own findings?

The report:

http://www.vtreviewpanel.org/report/index.html

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Certainly no widely known and respected pro-gun expert, if any pro-gun advocate, was on the panel. Nor was a minority report issued. That John R. Lott, Jr. PhD was not invited is a travesty.

As to intelligence, we are not allowed to publicly discuss relative intelligence. It is as knotty a subject as 'guns.' Read The Bell Curve by Herrnstein & Murray, written a decade ago and still controversial. Or go in the (topic's) sidedoor and read Alan Sokal's Transgressing the Boundaries: Towards a Transformative Hermeneutics of Quantum Gravity (it is on-line) and the academic literature surrounding it.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$