Thread: Disposing of live rounds?

Post imported post

This may prove to be a silly question, but I have several live rounds that have been damaged (Wolf ammo rusting) or the round has been pushed back into the case, and I'd rather not shoot that. Someone told me to get a jug, fill it uo partway with penetrating oil, and drop the rounds in, the oil will seep in and deactivate the primer and powder. Is this a good method?

Post imported post

You can also give the rounds to someone who reloads and they can extract the bullit or you can carefully use pliars to remove the bullit or you can drop the rounds into a jar of houshold ammonia which will eat away the brass in the primer and deactivate the round.

Post imported post

I can't say for certain, but that does seem like an effective method. WD40 would be a good oil to use. Mostly I am replying to recount my bad ammo story. I had a misfeed one day at the range, so I asked an officer what they do with them. He took it, looked at is a second, and yelled "Bad ammo! Don't do that!". Then he just chucked it into the spent brass bucket.

Post imported post

you can drop the rounds into a jar of houshold ammonia which will eat away the brass in the primer and deactivate the round.
    Will that deactivate the gunpowder too or just the primer?

Post imported post

I normally do this with brass cases where the ammonia eats up the brass primer cup, the brass case and the copper bullit jacket. Gun powder is water soluable and a good fertiliser if you dump it on the lawn so I expect that once the ammonia and water has penetrated the shell casing, then the powder is done for.

Post imported post

Here in Washington, most ranges, particlarly the ones that have gun shops attached will take your old and bad ammo and dispose of it for you.
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

pull the bullet.

dispose of the powder (it makes pretty good fertilizer I am told).

the wd40 thing is sort of a myth. it apparently will deactivate the primer temporarily, just as water will, but it will reactivate when it dries out.

Isuggest just shooting it once the bullet is pulled and the powder removed.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Sounds like all you need is a bonfire, and boom - you are ready for a evening filled with fun!

Shame on you for letting these rounds go to waste, there are people overseas who would kill for those!:P

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Check with your local police department. I just take mine into their office and they send them off to Fairfax where they get destroyed.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

openryan wrote:
    Sounds like all you need is a bonfire, and boom - you are ready for a evening filled with fun!

Shame on you for letting these rounds go to waste, there are people overseas who would kill for those!:P
    + 1

Post imported post

Shame on you for letting these rounds go to waste, there are people overseas who would kill for those!
    Yeah, I know. The Wolf Ammo rusted because I was caught in a surprise thunderstorm at the range one day, and I wanted to put the rifles and pistols away first, the brass ammo came out fine, but the Wolf started rusting immediatly. So go ahead and slap me on the wrist, I promise it WON'T happen again. I have ordered a bullet puller and plan on disposing of the 25 rounds. I guess that it's a good thing that I got the Wolf at a good discount, as a cheap test run, to see if I wanted to order a case. The answer is no. I did however order 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 for my SKS of Wolf, great price, came in an ammo case.

Post imported post

The only Wolf ammoI use is 7.62x39 just cause I am cheap when it comes to that gun. Cheap fun.... I can't say I have even had a misfire or dead round for that bugger but would not use wolf in anything else.

State Researcher

Post imported post

This is straight from the mouth of a retired Army Ranger.

Spray the bullets down with WD40. This is what all gunsmiths that he knew did to deactivate the rounds before they would work on jammed rifles and such.

I don't know if I would trust it... but that's what he said.

Post imported post

That's what I do when my reloaded ammo fails to fire, I just pull the bullet and reuse the powder, or burn it in the driveway.

Post imported post

So I got the Bullet Puller and tried my darndest to loosen those bullets, but the will not budge. So I started to read the directions more in depth. It says that the puller will not work on commerical ammunition, because they have bullet sealant. So I think the WD-40 is the route I'm ging to try.

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    Check with your local police department. I just take mine into their office and they send them off to Fairfax where they get destroyed.

+1 I was going to agree to check with the local PD, call the non-emergency line of course haha