Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: The Brave One

  1. #1
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    'Women don't do things like this.'

    Do they?



    Woman with gun

    That's the simple, scary premise of "The Brave One," says star Jodie Foster. It's not a revenge fantasy. Deal with it.

    By Steven Rea
    Inquirer Movie Critic






    In 'The Brave One,' Jodie Foster plays a radio show host who buys a gun and starts shooting people in the wake of her fiance's beating death.


    Jodie Foster is in Queensland, Australia, on the phone, in a room looking over the ocean. It's early morning, and a storm is blowing.
    "There's rain and huge waves - sideways rain," she reports. "And there's been a drought here. It hasn't rained for months and months. They've been complaining that there's going to be no drinking water . . . and then suddenly it's like this epic deluge."

    It's winter in the antipodes, and Foster is making a children's movie - Nim's Island, from the bestselling book. It's a far cry from where she was last year at this time, physically and mentally.

    Then she was making The Brave One, which has its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival on Thursday before opening in theaters Sept. 14. In it, Foster stars as a New York City radio show host whose fiance is beaten and killed by thugs. Wracked by grief, by fear, in the throes of what Foster calls her character's "existential crisis," the woman buys a gun and starts blowing people away.

    And not necessarily the people responsible for the attack. On paper - and in the coming attractions, and even in the director's view - The Brave One, shot last summer in New York, is about vengeance.

    That's not how the film's leading lady sees it. This isn't Death Wish, and she's not Charles Bronson.

    "I know the basic outline, the premise, reflects that, but I don't see it," she says. "If anything, it's more a call to the movies of the '70s, like Taxi Driver - portraits of a descent into madness, and a descent into violence. And violence being an answer for powerlessness. . . .

    "I really don't see her quest as a quest for revenge. It's something deeper and scarier."

    Following a Central Park mugging that puts her in the hospital and her loved one (Lost's Naveen Andrews) in the grave, Foster's character, Erica Bain, buys a 9mm handgun. And without thinking (or is she?), she places herself in situations - in a convenience store, in a subway, late at night - where she is compelled to use it.

    "She doesn't do any of those things because she's seeking revenge," Foster explains. "She does it because in a split second she enters into this world and takes that challenge. It's really quite different than Charles Bronson, I think."

    Foster, 45, took on The Brave One several years ago, after Nicole Kidman left the project. A four-time Oscar nominee and two-time best actress winner (The Silence of the Lambs, The Accused), Foster is one of those A-listers who gets casting and director approval, who can say: I don't like this, let's change that.

    So she did, bringing Terrence Howard on as an NYPD detective ("he's not afraid of softness - even playing a hard homicide cop, he's not afraid to be the guy who feels"), and hiring The Crying Game's Neil Jordan to direct. Foster supervised revisions to the screenplay, changing the lead role from that of a newspaper crime reporter to a radio show figure who walks New York at night, recording the beats and thrums of the city.

    And Foster dug deep to find Erica Bain's dark, wounded core.

    "In some ways, she is really damaged before the movie starts. And we don't know why, but we know that she's not complete, that she has no body, she's just this voice. And somehow this boyfriend, this guy - he plays basketball and he's sweaty and he has a beard and he's a nurse - he's all these things that are of the body.

    "So when he goes, she's left kind of as a ghost, with no body to inhabit. And the gun, in a strange way, materializes her every time it goes off. There's this power, and this strange humanity, that's at once monstrous and beautiful that happens when you pull that trigger. Every time you pull that trigger you say, 'I live, you die.' "

    Outside of stuff like Charlie's Angels and Resident Evil, it's not often that big Hollywood movies - big, serious Hollywood movies - put weaponry in the hands of women. If women do kill, it is in self-defense, a crime of passion. Foster was intrigued by the idea of messing with those precedents.

    "It will be striking that she's a woman. They even say it in the movie: 'Women don't do things like this.' They don't commit random crimes. They take rage and they force it inward and they hurt themselves. . . . It's about self-destruction. . . .

    "And it was an interesting question, to ask what if there is a woman who stops and says, 'I'm not going to destroy myself, I'm going to destroy you.' "

    It's no coincidence that Foster cites Taxi Driver when she discusses The Brave One. The actress - who began her professional career at age 3, in TV ads - was all of 13 when she played a child prostitute opposite Robert De Niro's deranged Vietnam vet Travis Bickle in the landmark Martin Scorsese drama. Foster received a best supporting actress Academy Award nomination for her performance.

    "Our movie lives in its shadow," she says of Taxi Driver. "It's one of the greatest American classics that we have. . . . But The Brave One is quite different. Number one, she's a woman, and that changes everything. Also, she's conscious. Travis Bickle had no idea why he was doing what he was doing. He was not a guy who thinks it through, who reads self-help books. He's primal."

    She adds: "Also, the time's different. Not just America, but New York City. . . . New York in the 1970s was this terrible place to be. It was dangerous, it was smelly. . . . It [represented] the decay of America after Vietnam, and here is this man who is a product of Vietnam and who has this idea that he's going to rise out of the shadows and save this place, save his country, because he wasn't able to save it any other way."

    Foster says that The Brave One, on the other hand, reflects a post-9/11 mind-set. "Waking up in a city that is 'the safest city in the world.' Which it is - there's a policeman on every corner, Times Square is now Disneyland, the bad neighborhoods have been gentrified, every condo is a $3 million condo.

    "So why is it that the slightest odd look that you get on the subway and suddenly you're panicking, you're feeling like the world is going to end any minute?

    "There's this undercurrent of rage and fear that is undeniable. . . . And you realize that in some ways it's always been there, that it's been there all along, and that it's part of us, it's part of our psyche."

    Foster's elder boy, Charlie, creeps into the room where she's speaking on the phone. She sends him downstairs to get some breakfast, cautioning him not to wake up his brother, Kit.

    Foster is not one to discuss her personal life. She has never identified the father of either child. But clearly her kids, born in 1998 and 2001, are her life.

    "I think I'm famous for not working very often," she says, explaining that even doing one film a year is pushing it for her.

    And yet, "surprisingly, I don't have a lot of downtime. By the time you do the junkets and the photo shoots and the looping and the costume fittings - all the stuff that you have to do - that's kind of it.

    "But I have kids, so they have school, and they have holidays and Thanksgiving and the Halloween parade and the thousand things that I have to do for the family. That pretty much eats it up.

    "And there's skiing, too," she adds with a laugh. "I like my Januarys and Februarys."


    http://www.philly.com/philly/enterta..._with_gun.html



  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    Yup, those guns. Gotta keep 'em locked up or else they'll make otherwise rational people start shooting each other for fun.

    Perhaps the film will have a Brady campaign ad at the beginning...

  3. #3
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    imperialism2024 wrote:
    Yup, those guns. Gotta keep 'em locked up or else they'll make otherwise rational people start shooting each other for fun.

    Perhaps the film will have a Brady campaign ad at the beginning...
    I'm thinking that the Brady folks would think the movie glorifies guns. And that the movie is bad.

    (I wish we had a go to Brady-ite/MMMer to ask.)

    Butif they think that.....then the pro-gun/rightspeople, should like this movie....

    But I got a hunch they won't.

  4. #4
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    Hank, this sounds like a great movie, and in fact, I was wondering if I could treat you to a movie!?

    I will buy your ticket for you, I will also buy the corn/soda combo, it only includes one soft drink so we will have to share. Also, no holes in the bottom of the bucket!

    We will also be OC'ing.

    The only think you need to do is go ahead and post your address so I can come pick you up!

    :P

  5. #5
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    openryan wrote:
    Hank, this sounds like a great movie, and in fact, I was wondering if I could treat you to a movie!?

    I will buy your ticket for you, I will also buy the corn/soda combo, it only includes one soft drink so we will have to share. Also, no holes in the bottom of the bucket!

    We will also be OC'ing.

    The only think you need to do is go ahead and post your address so I can come pick you up!

    :P
    Sorry, but no. I'm hoping for unrequited to ask. :shock:

    Anyway, he already knows where I live.



  6. #6
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    openryan wrote:
    Hank, this sounds like a great movie, and in fact, I was wondering if I could treat you to a movie!?

    I will buy your ticket for you, I will also buy the corn/soda combo, it only includes one soft drink so we will have to share. Also, no holes in the bottom of the bucket!

    We will also be OC'ing.

    The only think you need to do is go ahead and post your address so I can come pick you up!

    :P
    Sorry, but no. I'm hoping for unrequited to ask. :shock:

    Anyway, he already knows where I live.

    Fine, don't expect anything from me again! :P


    BTW, do you plan on seeing this, I have heard the previews on TV, however they are always on while I am in another room.


  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mag-bayonettes!, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,407

    Post imported post

    I only go to movies with my g/f. > ) Sowie
    -Unrequited

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    1,436

    Post imported post

    The move is R so Iwon't go. It does sound like it might be interesting, BUT I wish they would do a movie where there is a strong female lead, who finds herself and finds the strength to protect herself and her family with a gun, but isn't psycho about it.

  9. #9
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    unrequited wrote:
    I only go to movies with my g/f. > ) Sowie
    Last Chance Hank.... :P

  10. #10
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    tarzan1888 wrote:
    The move is R so Iwon't go. It does sound like it might be interesting, BUT I wish they would do a movie where there is a strong female lead, who finds herself and finds the strength to protect herself and her family with a gun, but isn't psycho about it.
    You don't go to R movies?



  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    1,436

    Post imported post

    openryan wrote:
    tarzan1888 wrote:
    The move is R so Iwon't go. It does sound like it might be interesting, BUT I wish they would do a movie where there is a strong female lead, who finds herself and finds the strength to protect herself and her family with a gun, but isn't psycho about it.
    You don't go to R movies?

    No I don't, but you are free to do as you like.

    The truth is that I don't even go to most PG 13 movies. :shock:

  12. #12
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    tarzan1888 wrote:
    openryan wrote:
    tarzan1888 wrote:
    The move is R so Iwon't go. It does sound like it might be interesting, BUT I wish they would do a movie where there is a strong female lead, who finds herself and finds the strength to protect herself and her family with a gun, but isn't psycho about it.
    You don't go to R movies?

    No I don't, but you are free to do as you like.

    The truth is that I don't even go to most PG 13 movies. :shock:
    I am just curious -- why? Profanity?



  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    1,436

    Post imported post

    openryan wrote:
    tarzan1888 wrote:
    openryan wrote:
    tarzan1888 wrote:
    The move is R so Iwon't go. It does sound like it might be interesting, BUT I wish they would do a movie where there is a strong female lead, who finds herself and finds the strength to protect herself and her family with a gun, but isn't psycho about it.
    You don't go to R movies?

    No I don't, but you are free to do as you like.

    The truth is that I don't even go to most PG 13 movies. :shock:
    I am just curious -- why? Profanity?


    That and the sex or gratuitous violence.

    I am a Scout Master and a Father. I also work with the 12 and 13 year old boys at Church.

    Why should I go and see a movie that I wouldn't want my children or the youth I work with, go and see?

    Have I ever seen an R movie? Yes I have.

    When I was 10, me and some of my friends stoled some cigarettes from our Dad's and went out behind my friend's house and smoked them too, but I learned and I don't do that any more either.


    Thanks for asking.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kirkland, Washington, USA
    Posts
    425

    Post imported post


    Looks like somebody didn't read the cardinal rules of gun handling. Hope she doesn't lose a toe!

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    1,436

    Post imported post

    Cue-Ball wrote:

    Looks like somebody didn't read the cardinal rules of gun handling. Hope she doesn't lose a toe!

  16. #16
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844

    Post imported post

    she thinks NYC is the safest city in the world.

    The cop on every corner is to keep the ordinary people away for those 3 million dollar condos.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •