• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CT Open Carry legal controversey - THEY WILL BE JUDGED

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

The best thing folks in CT can do to help pop the boil of law enforcement editorializing against open carry in CT is to open carry in CT as much as possible - please consider doing this if you live or visit CT and have a permit to carry for CT.

As I have said before, OC in your normal everyday course of business, not some mass open carry demonstration in a public venue that could easily trigger arguably reasonable police and judicial finding that the conduct was aimed to terrorize people.

Hef

imported post

I am a SC resident with a CT non-res permit. I've open carried in Newtown, Brookfield, and some parts of Danbury without incidents. I would like to see some clarification as well.

adamwa

imported post

I want to open carry, (as I did in Washington and Virginia) but The idea of having my gun and my license taken from me for at least a year and a half (that took 3 months to get), doesn't make me happy. I don't want to spend thousands in lawyers, or spend the night in jail, or worse have some excited cops taser me, shoot me, or pound my face in the pavement while my wife and kids are watching. Some police training bulletins would be nice.

Hef

imported post

Mike wrote:
The best thing folks in CT can do to help pop the boil of law enforcement editorializing against open carry in CT is to open carry in CT as much as possible - please consider doing this if you live or visit CT and have a permit to carry for CT.

As I have said before, OC in your normal everyday course of business, not some mass open carry demonstration in a public venue that could easily trigger arguably reasonable police and judicial finding that the conduct was aimed to terrorize people.

When I open carried in CT, I did so in dress clothes - black slacks, new shoes, nice white shirt, silk tie, fresh haircut - and nobody batted an eye at me. I went shopping, gassed up my car, went out to eat, and did so with a smile on my face, polite to everyone I met (as I always do). I had no problems at all.

minus

imported post

Hef I live in newtown If you could reply with the streets and buisnesses that you visited or private message me if you wish. I'd love to know.

Hef

imported post

My mom lives in Newtown on Hanover Rd. I carried at the Smoke Shop on Church Hill, the gas station next to the Blue Colony, the General Store on Main Street, the Amoco station at exit 8, the UPS Store on Federal Rd, Dunkin Donuts on Queen Street, and Stop & Shop on Federal Rd. in Danbury.

No troubles. I'd bet half of the people didn't notice my weapon, and most of the rest of them probably figured I was a cop.

minus

imported post

Hef wrote:
My mom lives in Newtown on Hanover Rd. I carried at the Smoke Shop on Church Hill, the gas station next to the Blue Colony, the General Store on Main Street, the Amoco station at exit 8, the UPS Store on Federal Rd, Dunkin Donuts on Queen Street, and Stop & Shop on Federal Rd. in Danbury.

No troubles. I'd bet half of the people didn't notice my weapon, and most of the rest of them probably figured I was a cop.
All places i visit frequently and appropriately dressed most would assume as such. I however working at the local pd (not an ofc) dont want to risk it for fearing ending up in the clink.

Hef

imported post

You work for the Newtown PD? When I lived in Newtown, that department was a bunch of unprofessional, grossly misinformed, lazy, elitist chuckleheads. They had 2 guys in the entire department, one being a detective, who were capable of properly fingerprinting. The only task they could handle was traffic enforcement.

I hope to God that's changed. The town has grown tremendously in the past 20 years and needs a skilled, professional police force.

I wrestled at NHS with Mike McGowan. He was 2 years ahead of me in school. Is he still around?

minus

imported post

Hef wrote:
You work for the Newtown PD? When I lived in Newtown, that department was a bunch of unprofessional, grossly misinformed, lazy, elitist chuckleheads. They had 2 guys in the entire department, one being a detective, who were capable of properly fingerprinting. The only task they could handle was traffic enforcement.

I hope to God that's changed. The town has grown tremendously in the past 20 years and needs a skilled, professional police force.

I wrestled at NHS with Mike McGowan. He was 2 years ahead of me in school. Is he still around?
I work as a civillian dispatcher and while I can't comment on anything in regards to the force because of the position i'm in (also why I won't oc in town) Mike is now detective McGowan.

Hef

imported post

Good for him. Last time I saw him he had justed started as a patrol officer. Glad to hear he's advancing in his career. Tell him that Dave Robertson said hi.

Hawkmoon

imported post

Edward Peruta wrote:
It now appears that the issue of carrying in the open or concealed in Connecticut has been going on for some time.

There is a long list of people who havebegun to discuss this issue, and if the legislature decides to mandate concealment, then so be it. At least we will know where we stand.
Edward, it's clear that you feel strongly about this, and that's good. It would be helpful, though, if your posts were a bit better organized. I have to agree with others that you throw in so much information, often without being clear as to the source, that even though I am already aware of much of it, I am still confused.

Now -- to the point of your statement above. Yes, if the legislature amends the statute to require concealment we will know where we stand. Is that what you want? Why are not Connecticut firearms owners lobbying the legislature to clarify the law to make it clear that open carry is legal? THAT is the preferred resolution. It's a demonstrable fact that a great many states allow UNLICENSED open carry and require a license or permit only for concealed carry. It used to be commonplace in the United States for "gentlemen" to go armed, and openly. Concealing the gun was considered "sneaky," which is why some states now regulate or prohibit concealed carry while allowing unlicensed open carry.

Furthermore, Connecticut's requirement that one must have a license/permit for ANY carry is antithetical to both the United States Constitution and the Connecticut constitution. So why aren't the activists pressuring the legislature to address that? In other states with a constitutional right to bear arms, the state courts have held that if the state wants to prohibit or regulate concealed carry then the state MUST allow open carry, without a license, or the law violates the (state) constitution. I don't know if we can trust Connecticut's liberal judiciary to rule similarly, but the argument might carry some weight with the legislature.

Edward Peruta

imported post

The recent post asks if I am in favor of the Connecticut Legislature mandating concealment.

The answere is NO.

But I am one that believes in living within the law when the law is proper and justified.

As this post is being typed, James Goldberg's attorney Rachel Baird is drafting a Federal Complaint that will address the individuals who can't read and implement the laws of Connecticut properly.

Stay tuned, this issue is far from over.

Ed Peruta

Anti-Peruta

imported post

EDIT: The following post was made by someone who obviously has an issue with Mr Peruta. They are welcome to post, but I have asked that they change their username to something that makes is clear they are not Mr Peruta. Also, if this feud goes outside the bounds of firearms permits in CT, I reserve the rights to chop it off at the knees!!!

http://www.myrockyhill.com/uploads/Peruta%20Papers.pdf

Read Mr Peruta's history with the Rocky Hill PD and how he lost his job by threatening his exwife and his brother.

Edward Peruta

imported post

My past is what my past is.

The people who chose to post particial information 25 to 35 years after the fact can say what they want.

I am who I am and do what I want.

Ed Peruta

hornett22

imported post

30 cal slut wrote:
i have a headache.

i'm not sure i would have the courage or the time to go through all that to OC in CT.

we have an antigun legislature and an antigun governor. they get worse by the day.

it wouldn't take too much for the legislature to introduce legislation to mandate CCW.
and we wonder why we are where we are in history.
"i'm not sure i would have the courage or the time to go through all that" pretty friggin' pathetic! i'm sure you have the time to wait in line for your new fancy cell phone.just pathetic how selfish,self obsorbed,and lazy people are these days. makes me furious.

hornett22

imported post

sounds like you have a personnal vendeta against Mr. Peruta.real intelligent choice of names there.you may want to get a life.