• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

XD sub compact 40 vs XD Service model 4 inch 357 sig

ThreeDollarBill

imported post

I am looking for a new purchase. I am open to feedback on the 2 guns commented above. I have a sig 229 with 40 and 357 barrels, SigPro 9 mmand S&W 1911 45ACP with laser.

Looking to add another item so I don't have to switch barrels out when I want to shoot. It will be an XD, just not sure which. It will be used primarily for concealed carry.

Thanks,

ThreeDollarBill

unrequited

imported post

self-defense?

*cough* xd compact .45 *cough*

heh... but with ammo prices it's really your call, just narrowing it down to which XD is a good start > )

(I'm an xd fanboy)

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

unrequited wrote:
(I'm an xd fanboy)
0o-28758.jpg

ThreeDollarBill

imported post

I am open to 40, 357 or 45.

This is all self defense use.

When I am in the mountains, I have my 44 mountain gun with me, along with my sig for the 2 legged idiots that I may encounter.

Iread alot about the xd's and I want to get one.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ThreeDollarBill wrote:
I am open to 40, 357 or 45.

This is all self defense use.

When I am in the mountains, I have my 44 mountain gun with me, along with my sig for the 2 legged idiots that I may encounter.

Iread alot about the xd's and I want to get one.

Maybe do a searh on recent posts by para_org who has posted a couple, three times on XDs. I believe he provided some info you won't get from the stalwart XD fans here...

Example:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum7/4231-1.html

Nothing wrong with that .44 mag, I can tell you that...

unrequited

imported post

HankT wrote:
Maybe do a searh on recent posts by para_org who has posted a couple, three times on XDs. I believe he provided some info you won't get from the stalwart XD fans here...

Oh?

Examples:
Yeah... he'll say things like:

"Having said this, I still feel the XD .45acp is as safe or even safer than ANY other gun in this caliber EXCEPT for hand built and tuned guns, as most of the design points that allow the gun to malfunction are shared with other designs."

"It should be pointed out that with good strong parts that have either been properly smoothed out OR have been "shot in", this particular problem should go away for XDs that are cleaned regularily."

So either HankT misread para_org's comments, or is just trying to get my goat because he doesn't like me much. (feeling is mutual) para_org carries one daily too. ...but that's HankT for you. Loves to take people's words and spin them to his agenda. You can read the full thread he linked to for the quotes above in context.

Basically treat your XD well, and it's near top-of-the-line in terms of reliability and performance. If it's your self-defense carry, you should adopt good cleaning habits and use high quality ammo regardless of which firearm you choose. Not to mention if on the off chance something is wrong with your gun, Springfield Armory backs it up with a lifetime warranty.

Oh, and if you haven't read this, it's a good read:
http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.php

Don't let HankT take away from the hype... it's all true.

Forty-five

imported post

Gotta go with unrequited. No complaintswith my xd45 service model. I prefer the 1911 platform, but also love the xd.

Tidewater

imported post

When I was at the gun shop, I layed my Springfield XD40 (Service Model)over top of a Glock 23 just to see the size difference. Again the XD40 = Service and the Glock 23 = Compact. Thinking the XD40 would be closer in size to the Glock 22, I was surprised to see the XD was almost identical in size to the 23. The only difference was the size of the grip...and it was shorter than the Glock's!So far i've put approx. 600 rounds through theXD.I love my 40 and have yet to have a jam or malfunction.

molonlabetn

imported post

I used tocarry an XD-9 SubCompact... and I currentlycarry an XD-357 Service. I wouldn't have it the other way around, if that helps.

The larger frame wins for ergonomics, controllability, and magazine capacity... The subcompact's only advantage is concealability.

Pick the one you'll shoot more, and become more proficient with... you'll prefer to carry it, especially openly.

para_org

imported post

unrequited wrote:
HankT wrote:

Oh?

Examples:
Yeah... he'll say things like:

"Having said this, I still feel the XD .45acp is as safe or even safer than ANY other gun in this caliber EXCEPT for hand built and tuned guns, as most of the design points that allow the gun to malfunction are shared with other designs."

"It should be pointed out that with good strong parts that have either been properly smoothed out OR have been "shot in", this particular problem should go away for XDs that are cleaned regularily."

So either HankT misread para_org's comments, or is just trying to get my goat because he doesn't like me much. (feeling is mutual) para_org carries one daily too. ...but that's HankT for you. Loves to take people's words and spin them to his agenda. You can read the full thread he linked to for the quotes above in context.

Basically treat your XD well, and it's near top-of-the-line in terms of reliability and performance. If it's your self-defense carry, you should adopt good cleaning habits and use high quality ammo regardless of which firearm you choose. Not to mention if on the off chance something is wrong with your gun, Springfield Armory backs it up with a lifetime warranty.

Oh, and if you haven't read this, it's a good read:
http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.php

Don't let HankT take away from the hype... it's all true.
Nice article link above. Good read. Many thanks Unrequitted.

I carry a XD in .45 A LOT, that is true. But it has been shot in and is taken care of as well, which you AND HankT took the time and care to refer to.

(Thanks HankT for remembering my submission(s) here. It is nice to know that the time I spent on them is being appreciated. And thanks Unrequitted for taking the time to read through them so carefully.)

BTW, I would NOT carry a .40 s&w as I do not want to ever experience a KaBOOM and this round is notorious for doing exactly that; albeit the damage in an XD should be much less than in a Glock when things go very wrong with the ammo, as the feed ramp is a better design inthe XD.

(And I am still trying to figure out the real purpose of a .357sig in a defense piece. But my thoughts on this are still formative enough that such a discussion is probably best left to another time and place.)

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

ThreeDollarBill wrote:
I am looking for a new purchase. I am open to feedback on the 2 guns commented above. I have a sig 229 with 40 and 357 barrels, SigPro 9 mmand S&W 1911 45ACP with laser.

Looking to add another item so I don't have to switch barrels out when I want to shoot. It will be an XD, just not sure which. It will be used primarily for concealed carry.

Thanks,

ThreeDollarBill
Glock 19

para_org

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
I own/have owned an XD in every caliber(sold my .40) except 45GAP. Personally I like the 357 and .45 best.
What is surprising to some is that the .45 acp holds one more than the 40s&w !!

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

Ghettokracker71 wrote:
Does SA make the XD in .357SIG for the subcompact? I think I'd at least get the compact not the service model.......

you could probably get a .40 S&W and perhaps a .357sig barrel like im doing for my 229 elite! :lol:

molonlabetn

imported post

Ghettokracker71 wrote:
Does SA make the XD in .357SIG for the subcompact? I think I'd at least get the compact not the service model.......

If they did, I would own one. But they do not, and no-one makes a conversion barrel.

:banghead:

such is life.

dreamcro

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have the .40 s&w sub comp. The ammo is expencive enough. If you go with .357 sig expect sticker shock purchasing thoes.

Mjolnir (thats Thor's Hammer if anyone was interested)
I named my network printer that, since Thor was my knick name after chaseing my supervisor thru the plant with a sledgehammer years ago.:cool: