• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man arrested for knowing the law....

txgho1911

imported post

I do hope CC is wise enough to press charges against the ex-employees.
I need to go get something dumb and trivial at CC. Leave my peice at home.

Phssthpok

imported post

txgho1911 wrote:
I do hope CC is wise enough to press charges against the ex-employees.
I need to go get something dumb and trivial at CC. Leave my peice at home.
When I'm out Open Carrying, I tend to leave the ID at home (or in the car when I exit) and carry ONLY my BORSE.

In for a penny, in for a pound. Besides, they can't charge me for 'refusing' if I'm 'unable' to comply.:cool:

hogleg

imported post

The I need to check your bag routine just ticks me off at WM. Especially when I just walk from the checker right in front of the door. Do you really expect me to think these morons peering into my bag and glancing at the receipt are really checking anything. Just harassing me.

But I am in there place of business and asking me to prove what I have in my hand is paid for whileattempting to leave there property is annoying as hell, It isprobably within there rights. Just as we have property rights so does the business owner.

Having said this after reading this the cop ticks me off more than the security Person at CC.

Brigdh

imported post

actually they may search you when you enter the premise as a condition of admittance, but not upon exit without specific cause on you (ie they can't search everyone)

UTOC-45-44

imported post

hogleg wrote:
The I need to check your bag routine just ticks me off at WM. Especially when I just walk from the checker right in front of the door. Do you really expect me to think these morons peering into my bag and glancing at the receipt are really checking anything. Just harassing me.

But I am in there place of business and asking me to prove what I have in my hand is paid for whileattempting to leave there property is annoying as hell, It isprobably within there rights. Just as we have property rights so does the business owner.

Having said this after reading this the cop ticks me off more than the security Person at CC.

Anyone EVER been to Costco ???

I remember something...THEY CHECK YOUR RECIEPT AGAINST WHAT YOU JUST BOUGHT walking from the Check-out and the door:shock:

...'Magine that:what:

j2l3

imported post

Actually, I have never seen the Costco folks check the products, just the receipt. Not much point if you don't check it against what is there.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Even so...

I would not have a problem to show a reciept when asked. I think that's what they are for. If NOT why even get them at all.

I think,personally, that he created more than needed for this situation.

It could have COMPLETELY been avoided.

Just my .45

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Interestingly enough, I've never gotten asked for my receipt while walking out of WM with a big bag of ammo, even though there was a checker checking everyone else. Hmm... :lol:
I've been told at my local WM that they only check if you have something that isn't in a bag.

imperialism2024

imported post

It's especially irritating when one puts the receipt in one's wallet, and even more so when one is carrying more than one bag at a time. I believe the next time that happens to me, where I just left the checkout and am walking out the door with multiple bags, I'll refuse to show my receipt. Nothing with privacy or anything, just convenience... and not giving an LEO-wannabe another reason to boost his self esteem.

j2l3

imported post

I can understand checking bags and receipts if you didn't just come from the cashier. The question comes up, where would you have time to shoplift between the cashier and the door? This part makes no sense to me. Check the bags when you can't identify where I came from, NOT as I leave the register.

Sitrep

imported post

Once I have made the transaction of trading my money for their goods, the goods become mine. If they hand me a bag and reciept with my newly acquired goods, thoes are also my property. The 4th amendment recognizes my right to not have unreasonable seach or seizure of my property. I would agree that Circuit City looking in a bag that I own or reading any papers (the reciept) that I own is unreasonable. Just as unreasonable as if they wanted to look in my pockets or perform a body cavity search. If they don't want people carying bags from the register to the exit through their store, they can rearange things and put the register by the exit like grocery stores do.
With regards to Costcos policy of checking reciepts, since you have to be a member to be in the store I can see them having a bit more leeway there. Not that I have ever checked the membership agreement regarding this issue.

ptmmatssc

imported post

Costco has it right in their policies that they reserve the right to inspect your bags etc upon arrival as well as leaving . If you purchase a membership , you are giving them the OK to do it . If you don't want that to happen , shop elsewhere that does not have that as standard policy or require a "membership" .

The "welcome brochure " explains their policies and states plainly what they can do .

Cuircit city on the other hand is "open to the public" . I would have done the same thing , and I do , but have'nt been arrestsed yet :D

kurtmax_0

imported post

I do the same thing. Stopping to have them check your receipt is a complete waste of time. I keep my receipts for several years, so if they ever brought a suit against me or whatnot I have proof of purchase.

And yeah... I've noticed I never get asked to stop for a receipt check when I'm carrying bags full of ammo...

drkarrow

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
Even so...

I would not have a problem to show a reciept when asked. I think that's what they are for. If NOT why even get them at all.

I think,personally, that he created more than needed for this situation.

It could have COMPLETELY been avoided.

Just my .45

Sorry, but I find that to be one of the stupidest arguments on a pro open carry forum I've ever heard.

Cop doesn't like you open carrying? You could have COMPLETELY avoided it by simply concealing it.

Blame the victim for doing something completely legal?

Hell, it's the second line on the main page. "A right unexercised is a right lost"

I support exercising all of our rights, not just thesecond.