Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chased by Chihuahuas While OCing

Alexandria (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA

Post imported post

OK, I know this may seem funny. I don't hate dogs or nor am I a Mike Vick fan. Honestly, I'm scared of dogs and been that way all my life. I'mespecially scared of those damn chihuahuas. Well yesterday while OC in my complex, couple of them, well a lady in my complex has quite a few of those mean SOBs, got loose and chased meon top of my car. The lady came a got them SOBs, I think she saw my gun, but at no time did go for the gun and try to shoot them, in fact I forgot I had the gun on when they chased me. She asked me was I alright and told me they wouldn't bite me, I told her I was OK but they werestill barking at me. She took them away, I think she said to them "you better leave him alone, he is a bad man" maybe she saw my gun...I give.

Well now the question. Don't know how many people have encountered with a dog or dogs. Do you have any rights to shoot one if they attack or chase you no matter what the size? Honestly I don't plan to take a dog bite or get mawed by one.

Post imported post

If you are attacked by them and can take a bite or two, you can dispatch them like a chicken. Then use the limp one to beat away the others.

Post imported post

Never believe the person who says their dog(s) "won't bite you."

Never.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

The words "grave bodily injury or death to the innocent" come to mind.

Perhaps a rabid bite froma chihuahua?

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Um... I do agree with Hank on this one, but there is not a court in the land that will acquit you if you shoot a chihuaha...

Kick one maybe, but shoot?

As far as I know dogs (real dogs, not cats that are shaped ike dogs) are the same as people: If you can show an imminent threat, self defense is pretty easy to prove...

Obviously breed will bias the overall opinion of the public, DA, judge, and jury... If you shoot a Rottweiller or Doberman you will get off easier than if you shoot a Beagle...

Post imported post

dichamw wrote:
    OK, I know this may seem funny. I don't hate dogs or nor am I a Mike Vick fan. Honestly, I'm scared of dogs and been that way all my life. I'mespecially scared of those damn chihuahuas. Well yesterday while OC in my complex, couple of them, well a lady in my complex has quite a few of those mean SOBs, got loose and chased meon top of my car. The lady came a got them SOBs, I think she saw my gun, but at no time did go for the gun and try to shoot them, in fact I forgot I had the gun on when they chased me. She asked me was I alright and told me they wouldn't bite me, I told her I was OK but they werestill barking at me. She took them away, I think she said to them "you better leave him alone, he is a bad man" maybe she saw my gun...I give.

Well now the question. Don't know how many people have encountered with a dog or dogs. Do you have any rights to shoot one if they attack or chase you no matter what the size? Honestly I don't plan to take a dog bite or get mawed by one.
    It really depends on the size.

Think of it this way...

Would you shoot a small child for hitting you and not stopping? Now what about a 6' dude.. 220 pounds hitting you and not stopping?

Shooting a small 8 pound dog you can kick away is a bad idea. Now shooting a dog that is 80+ pounds is another story.

But in your mind... your brain took over and you escapedforgetting the gun. Had it actually been a deadly dog.. I am sure you would have gone for your gun.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    dichamw wrote:

Think of it this way...

Would you shoot a small child for hitting you and not stopping? Now what about a 6' dude.. 220 pounds hitting you and not stopping?

Shooting a small 8 pound dog you can kick away is a bad idea. Now shooting a dog that is 80+ pounds is another story.

But in your mind... your brain took over and you escapedforgetting the gun. Had it actually been a deadly dog.. I am sure you would have gone for your gun.
    LEO, You make a good point as I reflect on what happen. But I guess we are more instinctive to only engage a two legged threat or some threatening vision we have in our mind. I'm scared of dogs but they don't threaten me to think immediately to shoot them. I fear if it was a bigger dog yesterday I still might havenot shot him, but today thinking about this more, maybe I'm adjusting my threat that I would employ a gun.

Isn't that why they use human like target for defensive courses to get you register a threat in you mind to get you used to employing your gun against a human target.

Post imported post

Sounds like a perfect time to be carrying a Taurus Judge loaded with .410s...

Soccer practice anyone
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

Think of it this way...

Yep. Would you shoot these little guys?

No need to shoot the chihuahuas, I think. The gun is useless for them.

The new corollary to HankT's Postulate of Civilian Self-Defense: It is a bad strategy to shoot an unarmed person is now:

It is a bad strategy to shoot a dog under 8 lbs.

Post imported post

Good question, that's why I carry pepper spray too, or part of the reason anyway. I walk often and have almost sprayed a dog on several occasions.

"My dog does not bite" is right up there with "That gun is not loaded".

Post imported post

Leo 229...

what about warning shots to scare a dog? The noise of anything larger than a .22 is likely to frighten the great majority of even the most hardened dogs. However, discharging a firearm within city limits is not legal unless in self defense, and if you scare the critter away, you are left to explain the situation with no proof you were ever in danger to begin with. Is a warning shot a good idea if a dog appears threatening but does not attack (i.e.-120 lb rottweiler snarling, barking, and growling standing less than 10 paces from you)

Post imported post

lockman wrote:
    If you are attacked by them and can take a bite or two, you can dispatch them like a chicken. Then use the limp one to beat away the others.
    Great plan!

As an alternative, tear the hind leg off one of these abominations,and beat it over the head with the soggy end!

Or maybe carry a walking cane with which to belabour any canines unwise enough to exhibit obnoxious behaviour within reach? Beat the owner soundly, too, for ignoring leash laws!

No man loves WELL MANNERED dogs more than I do, and no mandetests UNRULY dogs more than I do! A legacy from my many years as a professional foxhound huntsman, both sides of the Pond.

The Mother Teresa of the canine world,

TrueBrit.

Post imported post

I'm sure glad you did not shoot the chihuahuas, last thing we need is Taco Bell mad at us.

Post imported post

That's a good reason to own a bigger dog yourself...

"Awww, it looks just like his favorite chew-toy!"

Or even a cat...

"sorry ma'am, I'm sure she just mistook itfor a big rat"

Chihuahuas aren't worth shooting.

Post imported post

Lol, shooting tiny dogs=bad idea. I think it would take a while for a chihuahua to actually kill you unless its a rather large group or they are rabid....Now the other day,however.

I had to deliver a customers minivan to his house,and I walked to the front door,heard some noise,so I walked over to the side and saw this HUGE black lab running up to me,and heard the owner yelling BUCKWHEAT STOP COME HERE BUCKWHEAT....luckily the dog stopped and I pocketed my ken onion kershaw(no firearm ftl, at work.) before the owner came around the corner

Post imported post

I've gota couple ofbig,territorial (100% male)dogs... a German-Shepard/Black-Lab mix and a Hound/Rottweiler mix. But, like any potentially harmful possession, I keep them under my full control at all times. If I couldn't, I wouldn't keep them. One stays in the house, the other has a nice long run in the back yardorthe huge basement.

People with misbehaving little-dogs irk me... because they think that they require less responsibility because they are less threatening. Well, to some degree it's true that they are less powerful... but to a child or frail person (or someone unfamiliar/afraid of dogs), they can be just as terrifying.

If a dog ruins my day, it's day will surely be ruined as well... however, I wouldn't kill or seriously harm any animal unless my own life or well-being depended on it.A few scratches or heel-nips isn't life-threatening... I get worse than that playing with my owntwo 'little' monsters.Anyone who owns a dogshouldfully expect them to be taken away if they ever got out of control, which is why I invest inthe training, disposition, and care of mine... but if they ever attacked someone who they were not supposed to, I'd put them down in a heart-beat.

Post imported post

dichamw wrote:
    LEO, You make a good point as I reflect on what happen. But I guess we are more instinctive to only engage a two legged threat or some threatening vision we have in our mind. I'm scared of dogs but they don't threaten me to think immediately to shoot them. I fear if it was a bigger dog yesterday I still might havenot shot him, but today thinking about this more, maybe I'm adjusting my threat that I would employ a gun.

With respect to the Chihuahua attack you did the right thing:

You ran like a girly-man and jumped on top of your car.

If you are threatened, assess the threat--escape, if possible.

Better to be run like a girly-man than to be tried by twelve....

And, please,this points out the benefit of having a retention holster. With all that running and jumping a responsible and nimblearmed man may have to do, it'd be a shame to lose the gun while you're clambering over a fence or onto a car.

Hope your car isn't a convertible.

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    dichamw wrote:

With respect to the Chihuahua attack you did the right thing:

You ran like a girly-man and jumped on top of your car.

If you are threatened, assess the threat--escape, if possible.

Better to be run like a girly-man than to be tried by twelve....

And, please,this points out the benefit of having a retention holster. With all that running and jumping a responsible and nimblearmed man may have to do, it'd be a shame to lose the gun while you're clambering over a fence or onto a car.

Hope your car isn't a convertible.
    Hank

You know I was wearing my galco concealable belt holster, which is not retention. The gun didn't jar loose and I was running pretty fast. Those damn Chihuahuas are some fast little dogs. Look likeI got a depression on my car hood now. Anyway I probably would have missed every one of those damndogs. Howlarge must the dog be before you considerhim for something to be shot at. I'm hearing this 8 , 80, 100 pound stuff.

Post imported post

Did you check thier immigration status?

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Post imported post

OBXMIKE wrote:
    Did you check thier immigration status?

Sorry, couldn't resist!
    They look like they were in the country legally to me.

Post imported post

dichamw wrote:
    Hank

You know I was wearing my galco concealable belt holster, which is not retention. The gun didn't jar loose and I was running pretty fast. Those damn Chihuahuas are some fast little dogs. Look likeI got a depression on my car hood now. Anyway I probably would have missed every one of those damndogs.

I was thinking similarly. A little pooch like that would be very hard to hit, especially when he is hopping around very quickly. And it's not like the dog is gonna know he is within an instant of having his head blowed off, so he'll continue nipping at you.

I'd say, if you can't get to a tree/fence/car and you are wearing jeans....take a chance and go for the 64 yard field goal...

ETA:

dichamw wrote:
    Howlarge must the dog be before you considerhim for something to be shot at. I'm hearing this 8 , 80, 100 pound stuff.
    I don't think there is any hard and fast rule. It's a situation fraught with ambiguity. But here's a story that is pretty clear, exemplifying both the danger of dogs and their irresponsible owners. Never get down down on the same level as attacking dogs. Even if they're biting you, stay up.

Pit Bull Attack Victim Speaks Out

Reported by:Valerie Hoff
    Last Modified: 9/4/2007 8:13:09 PM

Pit bull attack victim Kelly Edwards in his hospital bed

Friends and family are staying close by Kelly Edwards' side as he recovers from multiple bite wounds to his arms, legs and torso.

He said he vividly remembers the attack by three pit bulls as he went for his daily walk Monday.

“The small one came out and leaped for me and got me on my side, and I fell,” he recalled. “Then, when I was on the ground they were snapping at me and biting me. There was one place on my arm where the skin was laid open where one of them bit me."

He said he tried his best to fight the dogs off.

“I lost so much blood, I was just too weak,” he said.

As the dogs were attacking Edwards, one neighbor came up and fended them off with a walking stick, then another shot one of the dogs dead. Edwards said if David Banner hadn't stepped in, he might be dead.

“I owe him my life, I do,” he said.

“He’s our hero, said Edwards' daughter Kathy Westall.

The two surviving pit bulls are at the Barrow County Animal Shelter, but not for long.

“The two remaining dogs were surrendered by their owner and will be euthanized tomorrow, and then the remains will be analyzed for rabies,” said Barrow County Animal Control Director Stephen Eades.

Edwards and his daughters are now hoping he won't need rabies shots and that he'll soon be out of the hospital. They hope other dog owners learn from his ordeal.

“They need to restrain their dogs, dogs don't need to be running free,” he said. “It’s bad what happened but if it had been a child they child would not have made it."

Post imported post

Well......IF I am am ever chased by Chihuahuas I would never, never, never ADMIT it!!!! Pit Bulls, Doberman. German Shepard, Rottweiler, yes but never would I admit to being chased by a Chihuahua!!!

(Just having a little fun at your expense. No harm intended. But I have to admit it would have been fun to watch)

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

dichamw wrote:

I had an experience like that once getting out of my car in front of my house. These littleyip-yaps raced out of nowherelike they might bite me. I think one could have been a Yorkie. Had I had on the right shoes I would have given them a swift kick. Boots are really needed. It was nearly dusk. By the time I got in the house, I went to get my dog who is considerably LARGER. I took her outside to take care of the problem.

Despite the leash law, these things were lose. I called the cops. They didn't want to do any thing, unless I got bit! I think it would be harder to justify shooting a little dog in town. This was probably the first time I wanted to run over a dog. The redneck who lives beside of me had a demented cross bred Pomeranian. That dog had a problem coming at people. He liked to let it run loose. One of the neighbors hit it by accident.

Post imported post

I haven't been bitten by a chihuaha before but have been bitten by a small dog and it was not pleasant and could have been much worse if my Grandfather had not beat it off. I seem to recall a study where the number one breed of dogs biting mailmen was the chihuaha followed by poodles.

As for a small animal not causing serious problems my mother almost lost her leg because of a cat scratch and believe me that if a cat tries to attack I will kill it PETA or no PETA. It took my mother 4 weeks to get over that attack. If you shoot a dog for attacking you be sure to put me on the jury and you will walk whether it is a Pit Bull or a Chihuaha. I am not a dog hater at all but have seen what they can do.

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I got bit by a dog in grade school so I know what you mean. I have had dogs all my life as companions and friends. It's the people who allow their dogs to run wild every where that are a danger.

Shooting a big freakin dog rushing at you snarling is another matter--that represents an immediate threat to life. Pepper spray is a great idea, also a big baseball bat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast