• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chased by Chihuahuas While OCing

dichamw

Alexandria (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA
imported post

OK, I know this may seem funny. I don't hate dogs or nor am I a Mike Vick fan. Honestly, I'm scared of dogs and been that way all my life. I'mespecially scared of those damn chihuahuas. Well yesterday while OC in my complex, couple of them, well a lady in my complex has quite a few of those mean SOBs, got loose and chased meon top of my car. The lady came a got them SOBs, I think she saw my gun, but at no time did go for the gun and try to shoot them, in fact I forgot I had the gun on when they chased me. She asked me was I alright and told me they wouldn't bite me, I told her I was OK but they werestill barking at me. She took them away, I think she said to them "you better leave him alone, he is a bad man" maybe she saw my gun...I give.

Well now the question. Don't know how many people have encountered with a dog or dogs. Do you have any rights to shoot one if they attack or chase you no matter what the size? Honestly I don't plan to take a dog bite or get mawed by one.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

If you are attacked by them and can take a bite or two, you can dispatch them like a chicken. Then use the limp one to beat away the others.:lol:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Never believe the person who says their dog(s) "won't bite you."

Never.
nosmiley.gif

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The words "grave bodily injury or death to the innocent" come to mind.

Perhaps a rabid bite froma chihuahua?

tapper95

imported post

Um... I do agree with Hank on this one, but there is not a court in the land that will acquit you if you shoot a chihuaha...

Kick one maybe, but shoot?

As far as I know dogs (real dogs, not cats that are shaped ike dogs) are the same as people: If you can show an imminent threat, self defense is pretty easy to prove...

Obviously breed will bias the overall opinion of the public, DA, judge, and jury... If you shoot a Rottweiller or Doberman you will get off easier than if you shoot a Beagle...

LEO 229

imported post

dichamw wrote:
OK, I know this may seem funny. I don't hate dogs or nor am I a Mike Vick fan. Honestly, I'm scared of dogs and been that way all my life. I'mespecially scared of those damn chihuahuas. Well yesterday while OC in my complex, couple of them, well a lady in my complex has quite a few of those mean SOBs, got loose and chased meon top of my car. The lady came a got them SOBs, I think she saw my gun, but at no time did go for the gun and try to shoot them, in fact I forgot I had the gun on when they chased me. She asked me was I alright and told me they wouldn't bite me, I told her I was OK but they werestill barking at me. She took them away, I think she said to them "you better leave him alone, he is a bad man" maybe she saw my gun...I give.

Well now the question. Don't know how many people have encountered with a dog or dogs. Do you have any rights to shoot one if they attack or chase you no matter what the size? Honestly I don't plan to take a dog bite or get mawed by one.
It really depends on the size.

Think of it this way...

Would you shoot a small child for hitting you and not stopping? Now what about a 6' dude.. 220 pounds hitting you and not stopping?

Shooting a small 8 pound dog you can kick away is a bad idea. Now shooting a dog that is 80+ pounds is another story.

But in your mind... your brain took over and you escapedforgetting the gun. Had it actually been a deadly dog.. I am sure you would have gone for your gun.

dichamw

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
dichamw wrote:

Think of it this way...

Would you shoot a small child for hitting you and not stopping? Now what about a 6' dude.. 220 pounds hitting you and not stopping?

Shooting a small 8 pound dog you can kick away is a bad idea. Now shooting a dog that is 80+ pounds is another story.

But in your mind... your brain took over and you escapedforgetting the gun. Had it actually been a deadly dog.. I am sure you would have gone for your gun.
LEO, You make a good point as I reflect on what happen. But I guess we are more instinctive to only engage a two legged threat or some threatening vision we have in our mind. I'm scared of dogs but they don't threaten me to think immediately to shoot them. I fear if it was a bigger dog yesterday I still might havenot shot him, but today thinking about this more, maybe I'm adjusting my threat that I would employ a gun.

Isn't that why they use human like target for defensive courses to get you register a threat in you mind to get you used to employing your gun against a human target.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

Think of it this way...

Yep. Would you shoot these little guys?

pup_t300.jpg

No need to shoot the chihuahuas, I think. The gun is useless for them.

The new corollary to HankT's Postulate of Civilian Self-Defense: It is a bad strategy to shoot an unarmed person is now:

It is a bad strategy to shoot a dog under 8 lbs.

ralphb72

imported post

Good question, that's why I carry pepper spray too, or part of the reason anyway. I walk often and have almost sprayed a dog on several occasions.

"My dog does not bite" is right up there with "That gun is not loaded".

InsuredByGlock

imported post

Leo 229...

what about warning shots to scare a dog? The noise of anything larger than a .22 is likely to frighten the great majority of even the most hardened dogs. However, discharging a firearm within city limits is not legal unless in self defense, and if you scare the critter away, you are left to explain the situation with no proof you were ever in danger to begin with. Is a warning shot a good idea if a dog appears threatening but does not attack (i.e.-120 lb rottweiler snarling, barking, and growling standing less than 10 paces from you)

TrueBrit

imported post

lockman wrote:
If you are attacked by them and can take a bite or two, you can dispatch them like a chicken. Then use the limp one to beat away the others.:lol:

Great plan!

As an alternative, tear the hind leg off one of these abominations,and beat it over the head with the soggy end!

Or maybe carry a walking cane with which to belabour any canines unwise enough to exhibit obnoxious behaviour within reach? Beat the owner soundly, too, for ignoring leash laws!

No man loves WELL MANNERED dogs more than I do, and no mandetests UNRULY dogs more than I do! A legacy from my many years as a professional foxhound huntsman, both sides of the Pond.

The Mother Teresa of the canine world,;)

TrueBrit.

IanB

imported post

I'm sure glad you did not shoot the chihuahuas, last thing we need is Taco Bell mad at us.

molonlabetn

imported post

That's a good reason to own a bigger dog yourself...

"Awww, it looks just like his favorite chew-toy!"

Or even a cat...

"sorry ma'am, I'm sure she just mistook itfor a big rat"

Chihuahuas aren't worth shooting.

Ghettokracker71

imported post

Lol, shooting tiny dogs=bad idea. I think it would take a while for a chihuahua to actually kill you unless its a rather large group or they are rabid....Now the other day,however.

I had to deliver a customers minivan to his house,and I walked to the front door,heard some noise,so I walked over to the side and saw this HUGE black lab running up to me,and heard the owner yelling BUCKWHEAT STOP COME HERE BUCKWHEAT....luckily the dog stopped and I pocketed my ken onion kershaw(no firearm ftl, at work.) before the owner came around the corner:uhoh:

molonlabetn

imported post

I've gota couple ofbig,territorial (100% male)dogs... a German-Shepard/Black-Lab mix and a Hound/Rottweiler mix. But, like any potentially harmful possession, I keep them under my full control at all times. If I couldn't, I wouldn't keep them. One stays in the house, the other has a nice long run in the back yardorthe huge basement.

People with misbehaving little-dogs irk me... because they think that they require less responsibility because they are less threatening. Well, to some degree it's true that they are less powerful... but to a child or frail person (or someone unfamiliar/afraid of dogs), they can be just as terrifying.

If a dog ruins my day, it's day will surely be ruined as well... however, I wouldn't kill or seriously harm any animal unless my own life or well-being depended on it.A few scratches or heel-nips isn't life-threatening... I get worse than that playing with my owntwo 'little' monsters.Anyone who owns a dogshouldfully expect them to be taken away if they ever got out of control, which is why I invest inthe training, disposition, and care of mine... but if they ever attacked someone who they were not supposed to, I'd put them down in a heart-beat.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

dichamw wrote:
LEO, You make a good point as I reflect on what happen. But I guess we are more instinctive to only engage a two legged threat or some threatening vision we have in our mind. I'm scared of dogs but they don't threaten me to think immediately to shoot them. I fear if it was a bigger dog yesterday I still might havenot shot him, but today thinking about this more, maybe I'm adjusting my threat that I would employ a gun.

With respect to the Chihuahua attack you did the right thing:

You ran like a girly-man and jumped on top of your car.

If you are threatened, assess the threat--escape, if possible.

Better to be run like a girly-man than to be tried by twelve....

And, please, this points out the benefit of having a retention holster. With all that running and jumping a responsible and nimblearmed man may have to do, it'd be a shame to lose the gun while you're clambering over a fence or onto a car.

Hope your car isn't a convertible. ;)

dichamw

imported post

HankT wrote:
dichamw wrote:

With respect to the Chihuahua attack you did the right thing:

You ran like a girly-man and jumped on top of your car.

If you are threatened, assess the threat--escape, if possible.

Better to be run like a girly-man than to be tried by twelve....

And, please, this points out the benefit of having a retention holster. With all that running and jumping a responsible and nimblearmed man may have to do, it'd be a shame to lose the gun while you're clambering over a fence or onto a car.

Hope your car isn't a convertible. ;)

Hank

You know I was wearing my galco concealable belt holster, which is not retention. The gun didn't jar loose and I was running pretty fast. Those damn Chihuahuas are some fast little dogs. Look likeI got a depression on my car hood now. Anyway I probably would have missed every one of those damndogs. Howlarge must the dog be before you considerhim for something to be shot at. I'm hearing this 8 , 80, 100 pound stuff.