• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shoot through a door redux?

tarzan1888

imported post

HankT wrote:
Warning shot....

Sept. 6, 2007, 6:56PM
Man who shot musician told 911 he tried firing warning shot

By PAUL J. WEBER Associated Press Writer
© 2007 The Associated Press

DALLAS — A homeowner who killed a member of Edie Brickell & New Bohemians by shooting a gun through his back door told a 911 operator he was trying to fire a warning shot but didn't think the musician "was that tall."

But instead of scaring Jeffrey Carter Albrecht away, according to a tape of the 911 call released Thursday, the man tells the operator "I think I shot him" as Albrecht's body lay in the doorway.

He was "trying to get in the back door," said the homeowner, who identifies himself as William Logg. "I woke up and my wife was screaming. ... I looked out there and he's like trying to beat through the window. I yelled at him to get away."

Albrecht, who was 6-foot-5, was shot in the head around 4 a.m. Monday while trying to kick down Logg's back door, police said. Logg lives next door to Albrecht's girlfriend, whom police said the musician was fighting with before the shooting.

Police and friends of Albrecht have said they don't know why the 34-year-old had gone to the neighbor's home.

Albrecht's parents say despite the confusion over their son's actions, they understand why the neighbor reacted by firing his weapon.

"They didn't invite someone at that time in the morning to be kicking at their door," Ken Albrecht, the musician's father, said in an interview with Dallas television station KTVT. "He had a house to protect, a wife to protect and my heart goes out to them."

Coincidentally, the neighbor who shot Albrecht is also a musician. Logg, 54, is a blues guitarist who goes by the nickname "Smokey" and has recorded multiple albums.

Logg will not face charges, police said. The case will instead be turned over to a grand jury, but police and Dallas prosecutors have said Logg appeared to be within his rights under the state's self-defense laws.

The 10 1/2-minute call to 911 begins with Logg's wife screaming "There's someone in my yard!" Seconds after the call begins, a loud noise can be heard in the background.

When the operator asks what the noise was, Logg's wife said she doesn't know. Soon after, Logg can be heard telling his wife, "I think I just shot him."

"Oh my God! Oh my God, Billy, don't tell me that!" the woman says.

Albrecht, who went by his middle name, had been a keyboard player for the New Bohemians since 1999, according to the band's Web site. Albrecht played several times with Brickell's husband, Paul Simon. He also played with Texas musician Charlie Sexton, a renowned guitarist.

He also played keyboard and guitar and sang for Sorta, named in 2006 as the best local music act by the Dallas Observer.

Edie Brickell & New Bohemians scored a breakout hit in 1989 with "What I Am." They broke up for several years but regrouped and put out an album last year.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/5114638.html

NEVER fire a warning shot. :banghead:

"IF" you are going to use a gun for the protection of yourself or others, YOU must always "keep your head when all about you are loosing theirs and blaming it on you." RK

We are not police and a warning shot is never a good idea.

Sitrep

imported post

As far as firing a warning shot goes:
If you have time to fire a warning shot, the situation probably doesn't warant you shooting. I wouldn't shoot untill I was forced to shoot in self defence, I don't think there is as much legal protection for shooting to reduce your stress level.
A warning shot should be fired at a safe backstop, which usualy means down (like the ground in front of your attacker.) A bullet fired up will always come back down, unless your gun can fire at escape velocity.

modelo57

imported post

10 and half minutes with 911 and no response from police? How long did it take for a cruiser to show up after the shot was fired?

I was always taught that if you point a gun at someone or something you better be prepared to kill.

Monday morning quarterback says he made a mistake. However, at the time the homeowner made the decision to shoot it was the right one for the time. I'm sorry someone died. This whole situation is tragic for all parties involved.