Thread: CC in Vehicle

State Researcher

Post imported post

If you have your CCDW, can you carry concealed in a vehicle?

Post imported post

yes

Regular Member dave_in_delaware's Avatar

Post imported post

+1 yes.

On a slightly different (but related) topic: I know you can OC in a vehicle as long as it's visible (not in holster), like on the passenger seat (this according to DE AG office).

My question is: where do/can you put it if there's someone IN the passenger seat? On the dashboard, where it may slide around as you drive? On the floor? ETC?

Any input is appreciated.
    Dave
    Co-Founder & Global Moderator
    Delaware Open Carry

Post imported post

CCW in a POV is OK. But OC in a POV? Visible, not in a holster means that its loose and sliding around. Even if its secured but visible, must it be unloaded? Isn't there somehunting law about loaded firearms in or about a vehicle?

State Researcher

Post imported post

Myopicvisionary wrote:
    CCW in a POV is OK. But OC in a POV? Visible, not in a holster means that its loose and sliding around. Even if its secured but visible, must it be unloaded? Isn't there somehunting law about loaded firearms in or about a vehicle?
    I've considered that, but as far as I've read, loaded is fine -- in the passenger seat for example. Not sure about hunting laws, but I think there are some instances where long gun laws might different slightly from pistol laws.

Been considering reviewing these -- I'll probably be hitting the final USPSA tournament in Kennett Square on Oct 20th.

Post imported post

I'm not sure what your POV acronym means, but when I spoke w/ the AG's office, after they told me it is lawful to OC in DE, I was told that to OC legally in a vehicle, it can't be holstered, since it probably would be hidden from an Officer's view (and therefor illegally concealed). I was told I could put it on the seat beside me, which is fine if I'm by myself... but what if someone is already IN the passenger seat?

I agree that unless you have a holster secured to your dashboard, the gun could possibly slide around inside the car. And if you have it near the floor, that could be argued by an Officer that it was concealed, too.

Ugh. Stupid Delaware!!!
    Dave
    Delaware Open Carry

State Researcher

Post imported post

I'd think anywhere that would fit the definition of 'in plain view', e.g. where an officer could look into the vehicle and see it, would be legal, though you'd probably get a hard time if it were on the floor.

Post imported post

POV, milspeak for privately owned vehicle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post imported post

Myopicvisionary wrote:
    POV, milspeak for privately owned vehicle.
    Ah, OK. Thanks
    Dave
    Delaware Open Carry

Post imported post

Transportation of Firearms

Title 7, ยง 708 provides that no person shall possess a loaded shotgun or rifle in, against or on any vehicle, piece of farm machinery, motorboat while under power, sailboat while under power, or have any ammunition in the magazine or chamber of such shotgun or rifle except when it is otherwise lawful to hunt crippled migratory birds from a motorboat as permitted by federal law.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

One caveat to OC in Deleware, including vehicles - at least one locality has a gradfathered open cary ban - Dover.

Luckily, as long as you don't live in DE, you can get a shall issue CHP from Florida or Utah etc. and carry concealaed thruought the state.