• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC in Vehicle

dave_in_delaware

imported post

+1 yes.

On a slightly different (but related) topic: I know you can OC in a vehicle as long as it's visible (not in holster), like on the passenger seat (this according to DE AG office).

My question is: where do/can you put it if there's someone IN the passenger seat? On the dashboard, where it may slide around as you drive? On the floor? ETC?

Any input is appreciated.

Myopicvisionary

imported post

CCW in a POV is OK. But OC in a POV? Visible, not in a holster means that its loose and sliding around. Even if its secured but visible, must it be unloaded? Isn't there somehunting law about loaded firearms in or about a vehicle?

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Myopicvisionary wrote:
CCW in a POV is OK. But OC in a POV? Visible, not in a holster means that its loose and sliding around. Even if its secured but visible, must it be unloaded? Isn't there somehunting law about loaded firearms in or about a vehicle?
I've considered that, but as far as I've read, loaded is fine -- in the passenger seat for example. Not sure about hunting laws, but I think there are some instances where long gun laws might different slightly from pistol laws.

Been considering reviewing these -- I'll probably be hitting the final USPSA tournament in Kennett Square on Oct 20th.

dave_in_delaware

imported post

I'm not sure what your POV acronym means, but when I spoke w/ the AG's office, after they told me it is lawful to OC in DE, I was told that to OC legally in a vehicle, it can't be holstered, since it probably would be hidden from an Officer's view (and therefor illegally concealed). I was told I could put it on the seat beside me, which is fine if I'm by myself... but what if someone is already IN the passenger seat?

I agree that unless you have a holster secured to your dashboard, the gun could possibly slide around inside the car. And if you have it near the floor, that could be argued by an Officer that it was concealed, too.

Ugh. Stupid Delaware!!!

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

I'd think anywhere that would fit the definition of 'in plain view', e.g. where an officer could look into the vehicle and see it, would be legal, though you'd probably get a hard time if it were on the floor.

ijusam

imported post

Transportation of Firearms

Title 7, § 708 provides that no person shall possess a loaded shotgun or rifle in, against or on any vehicle, piece of farm machinery, motorboat while under power, sailboat while under power, or have any ammunition in the magazine or chamber of such shotgun or rifle except when it is otherwise lawful to hunt crippled migratory birds from a motorboat as permitted by federal law.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

One caveat to OC in Deleware, including vehicles - at least one locality has a gradfathered open cary ban - Dover.

Luckily, as long as you don't live in DE, you can get a shall issue CHP from Florida or Utah etc. and carry concealaed thruought the state.