• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spotted a Unicorn at Natural Bridge!

Tomahawk

imported post

Yesterday, Tuesday, 4 September 2007, I was en route back to my home in Virginia via Kentucky and decided to take the southern route along the Mountain Parkway and take a little walk in the woods to see the sights.

After walking up to the Natural Bridge and taking some photos, I was headed down the Balanced Rock Trail back to the parking area in the valley below, when a 20 or 30-something guy and his girlfriend passed me on their way up. The guy was wearing some sort of gear vest, maybe a Camelbak or something, and rather large semiauto on his left hip in a nylon holster.

He said hi, and I said hi back, but I didn't ask him any questions as we were past each other and moving away quickly.

Wonder if it was one of you guys? A lefty?

I was OC'ing during most of my time in KY, but I wasn't sure about the park/forest area I was in, so I only OC'd my camera...learned a lesson, I guess.

TrueBrit

imported post

Good to have you back,Tomahawk, and I trust that you found Kentucky to your liking? No problems OCing? I thought not! Beats the pants off Virginia, no?;)

TrueBrit.

Ss

imported post

I saw a description to your post on the main forum. Seemed to reference to Daniel Boone national Forest. I am not sure it same in all the state but a national forest is federal property. Dont different laws come into play then. If you are not hunting and possesing valid permits too hunt you cannot posses a gun on a national forest.

I may be wrong but that is how it is here in MO. CCW and OC are strictly off limits.

Carried in KY and TN all labor day weekend no one even noticed I think. The only ones that did were family and I just told them I was too lazy to conceal it.

Tomahawk

imported post

Ss wrote:
I saw a description to your post on the main forum. Seemed to reference to Daniel Boone national Forest. I am not sure it same in all the state but a national forest is federal property. Dont different laws come into play then. If you are not hunting and possesing valid permits too hunt you cannot posses a gun on a national forest.

Wrong. The National Forests "assume local law", or, to be more precise, they defer to the authorities of the state in which the land exists.

Usually, this means that if OC or CC are legal in public, they are legal in the NF.

But not always. In Virginia, the Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries has been given regulatory authority over the NF by the state legislature, and they have banned OC in the NF, but not CC. (Yes, we are working on it.)

So, being an out-of-stater, I was not certain of Kentucky's NF carry laws/regs.

I think you are confusing National Forests with National Parks, which are run by a different federal agency, and which ban the carry of guns outright.

Tomahawk

imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
Good to have you back,Tomahawk, and I trust that you found Kentucky to your liking? No problems OCing? I thought not! Beats the pants off Virginia, no?;)

TrueBrit.

Yes, very nice. I've lived east of the Mississippi my whole life, done lots of driving and exploring,and yet there are stillvast areas I have yet to visit. I didn't know what to expect of Kentucky, and I was pleased to see how beautiful it is.

Of course, you know, it started off as part of the Virginia colony...;)

And, uh, oh yeah, the bourbon distilleries are definitely worth a visit. Very nice, although I'm still down on myself, because just as I arrived home yesterday I dropped a very expensive bottle of bourbon onto the pavement as I was unloading my truck...:cuss:

Manzanita

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Very nice, although I'm still down on myself, because just as I arrived home yesterday I dropped a very expensive bottle of bourbon onto the pavement as I was unloading my truck...

(Gasp!)

Wow. Took a broken bottle of bourbon to get me to finally post here. What kind was it... please don't say Knob Creek. :cry:

Okay, okay. Since I'm here... this is my first post. Western Kentucky. Live out in theboonies a stone's throw from Kentucky Lake (near Murray). Born & raised here except for a while in the Navy and Memphis.

OC on the property and surrounding woods (TVA land). CC pretty much everywhere else.

reefteach

imported post

Manzanita wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Very nice, although I'm still down on myself, because just as I arrived home yesterday I dropped a very expensive bottle of bourbon onto the pavement as I was unloading my truck...

(Gasp!)

Wow. Took a broken bottle of bourbon to get me to finally post here. What kind was it... please don't say Knob Creek. :cry:

Okay, okay. Since I'm here... this is my first post. Western Kentucky. Live out in theboonies a stone's throw from Kentucky Lake (near Murray). Born & raised here except for a while in the Navy and Memphis.

OC on the property and surrounding woods (TVA land). CC pretty much everywhere else.
I lived in Paducah for a summer, and spent several summers at a friend's cabin in Gilbertsville 2 bays downstream from Moore's marina.

Love that area:D. Anyone who likes catfishing will also.

Welcome.

I thought that the Land Between the Lakes prohibited firearms, and that is TVA right? Please fill me in. I may be confused.

Manzanita

imported post

Hey Reefteach. LBL is now managed by the US Forest Service. I think they took control sometime around '96. The only major difference is the signs look different. And... the Forest Service police are a bit more anal about everything than the TVA police were.

It's still, and always was, a firearm restricted area except when hunting and at the range. There's a firearm range off Hwy 68 inside LBL. I'm one of the volunteers that help keep the place clean.

The land I was talking about previously is TVA managed land on the other side of Kentucky Lake around Blood River. There is a huge section they own. A large piece of it borders my land. TVA still owns a ton of land along the shoreline of the Tennessee River. Some of it is substantially more than simply shoreline. The area near me is basically a Wildlife Management Area and under the control, I think, of the Kentucky Dept. of Fish and Wildlife. No federal gunrestrictions there. TVA police still patrol it occasionally. I see one pass the house every once in a while. Keeps the ATV's away.

TrueBrit

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Manzanita wrote:
What kind was it... please don't say Knob Creek. :cry:
Woodford Reserve. I can still smell that wonderful aroma on the pavement even now. It kills me.

Ah yes, the bourbon distilleries of Woodford county, just beside Fayette,where I first landed in KY. Only one thing worse than dropping a bottle of their amber nectar, and that would be dropping a bottle of 12 year old Highland Malt whiskey!You have my sympathies, Sir!

Best wishes,

TrueBrit.

BTW, may I extend a warm welcome to our new KY comrade Manzanita?

Great to see more KY folks on board!

JohnKelly

imported post

Was up at Natural Bridge the day befoer (Labor Day). I had considered OC but ended up CC since I was with relatives some of whom don't know I carry. Plus I'm too chicken....

Ss

imported post

JohnKelly wrote:
Was up at Natural Bridge the day befoer (Labor Day). I had considered OC but ended up CC since I was with relatives some of whom don't know I carry. Plus I'm too chicken....
It is wierd open carrying for the first time but it eventually becomes part of you and you feel naked without it.