• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Call and Ask

Edward Peruta

imported post

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]NOTICE TO ALL[/align]If you are reading this post,more than likely you have quesitons about the laws in Connecticut and if they mandate concealment of a weapon when carried by a person in possession of a Valid Permit.

Here is the way to find out.

[align=center]CALL THE CT. STATE POLICE[/align]

[align=center]Telephone (860) 685-8290[/align]

[align=center]ASK ONLY THISQUESTION[/align]

[align=center]DOES CONNECTICUT STATE LAW MANDATE CONCEALMENT OF A WEAPON[/align]

[align=center]YES OR NO[/align]

[align=center]If they try to get involved in a discussion of any kind[/align]

[align=center]be nice and tell them you're looking for a simple[/align]

[align=center]YES orNO[/align]
[align=center]Don't ask anything else and then document the call and who you spoke with[/align]

[align=center]
[/align]

unrequited

imported post

Good idea, but their job is to enforce the laws, not interpret them for you. They might tell you to take your request to the State's AG who will then say they can't give you an official opinion unless the State Police requests one.... or at least that's what they've done in other states.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

unrequited wrote:
Good idea, but their job is to enforce the laws, not interpret them for you. They might tell you to take your request to the State's AG who will then say they can't give you an official opinion unless the State Police requests one.... or at least that's what they've done in other states.
+1

Find a good lawyer and give him a call, they can interpret this much better than the police.

Anyway, if you end up getting in trouble for bad info, saying "well officer so and so said it was okay" will sound foolish.

If you are going to use this as your legal advice, you at least need to record the call.

Hawkmoon

imported post

I know where you are coming from. Too late now to document the people with whom I spoke, but over the past few years I have called the DPS three times and asked that question. Not surprisingly, I received three different answers.

One person told me flat out that handguns must be concealed. (Wrong.)

One told me that handguns may be carried openly if you have a permit, but that the department "strongly discourages" the practice." (Closer to the truth.)

The third person (a female trooper) told me that open carry is legal if you have a permit, but that if anyone sees the firearm and is "alarmed" by it, the carrier is subject to arrest and prosecution for disturbing the peace. (This, unfortunately, is the correct answer. It isn't LEGALLY correct, but as demonstrated by the young man in Glastonbury this is what actually happens.)

One of the issues is that, although the statutes do not prohibit open carry (the law says only that one must have a permit in order to carry a pistol or handgun), the advisery brochure promulgated by the Board of Fireamrs Permit Examiners does imply very strongly that open carry is illegal. It doesn't actually say that, but it very much tries to create that impression. I believe this same information is also on the Board's web site. In the brochure, question #36 asks "Does my permit to carry pistols and revolvers permit me to carry on my person?"

The answer goes far beyond a clear yes or no response. It is pure editorializing: "Yes. However, mature judgement [sic - they can't even spell] dictates that every effort should [not mandatory language] be made to make sure that no gun is exposed to view or carried in any manner that would tend to alarm people who see it. When your gun becomes visible so as to cause alarm, and the police are called, your permit to carry is placed in jeopardy or revocation."

How's that for an objective standard? God forbid the police should just tell Suzie Soccermom that "Ma'm the guy has a permit, it's legal for him to carry a gun. Have a nice day."

Unfortunately, it's this BS attitude from the Board of Examiners that lets police officers believe there is something in the law that prohibits open carry. The law itself is not unclear, but the education of the police regarding the law is seriously flawed.

Edward Peruta

imported post

The Connecticut Board of Firearms Permit Examiners today voted to remove the Q & A section of their website because they cannot verify the origin of the "MATURE JUDGMENT DICTATES" comment on the board.

So... Start to question authority and don't believe everything you read on a state agency website.

Ed Peruta