• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New State Laws For FOID Cards

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

The dreaded compromise...

Gun control laws stem from tragedy

Virginia Tech killings prompted lawmakers to tighten FOID laws

Thursday, September 6, 2007

BY Dana Heupel

of GateHouse News Service

SPRINGFIELD - Two new state laws concerning firearm owner's identification cards grew out of the aftermath of the April killings of 32 students at Virginia Tech university.

One also will extend the valid period of firearm owner's ID cards from five to 10 years and increase the cost from $5 to $10. Gov. Rod Blagojevich signed both bills in recent days.

Senate Bill 940 will require hospitals and mental health facilities to report the names of anyone who receives inpatient or outpatient mental health treatment to the Illinois State Police, which conducts background checks on applicants for FOID cards. It also would require police to submit the names of anyone prohibited from owning a firearm to the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System.

Under the new law, hospitals and mental health facilities would only have to submit the names of patients whose behavior "poses a clear and present or imminent danger to the patient, any other person or the community."

At present, only the names of persons admitted to private hospitals are submitted to the state police. The new law will take effect June 1, 2008. It was sponsored by Sen. Dan Kotowski, D-Mount Prospect, and Rep. Harry Osterman, D-Chicago.

Senate Bill 1094, sponsored by Sen. Dave Koehler, D-Peoria, and Rep. Dan Reitz, D-Steeleville, requires circuit clerks to report the names of anyone found to be mentally defective by a court to state police. That information could then be used to deny an FOID application.

The legislation describes mentally defective as someone who is a danger to himself or others, lacks the mental capacity to manage his own affairs, has been found not guilty of a crime because of insanity or other mental condition or has been declared incompetent to stand trial.

"After much debate and controversy over the last couple of years, gun rights supporters and legislators have come to a compromise we all can live with," Koehler said in a prepared statement.

Koehler has said the new law will close the same loophole in Illinois statutes that allowed the mentally ill gunman at Virginia Tech to buy a gun there.

The 10-year valid period for FOID cards, which falls under SB1094, is aimed at reducing the backlog by state police in processing applications.
That law will take effect Jan. 1.

http://www.pjstar.com/stories/090607/REG_BE9H3USS.025.php

para_org

imported post

And the next thing will be nationwide mandatory and yearly visits to a shrink for evaluation.

Think the above is silly ? ... Think again as it is part of some of the proposed nationwide medical insurance programs being discussed with as part of the presidential primary election campaigning.

The result of this IL. law along with mandatory shrink visits will be a third party intervening on your right to carry a firearm........and it all started with saying "some folks cannot be trusted carrying a firearm, so let's not have them do so......"

Our founding fathers would be VERY upset at this turn of events.

(I left IL. 35 years ago and am glad I did.)

UTOC-45-44

imported post

ilbob wrote:
Would you prefer it be easier for certified loons to get guns? Just curious.

Why ??? You one of 'em and won't "admit" to it ???

A Right is A Right, and now we will have "Doctors" EVERYWHERE saying that People are NOT Mentally Healty Enough ESPECIALLY the "ANTI" DOCS.

We give Docs too much "Power" if you ask me

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
ilbob wrote:

A Right is A Right, and now we will have "Doctors" EVERYWHERE saying that People are NOT Mentally Healty Enough ESPECIALLY the "ANTI" DOCS.

If you own a gun, and stress or loss of a loved one gets you depressed, do not seek treatment. Let the chips fall where they may. You can not risk you rights over one persons opinion of your mental health.

para_org

imported post

ilbob wrote:
Hahaha...very funny....there is NOTHING in what I said that should solicit that comment.

Which means you have an agenda OR you have a point to be made...

So go ahead and make it....that is what this forum is here for.

Superlite27

imported post

Has anyone ever heard of the "Law of unintended consequences"? - - - "For every intended consequence of an action there will be at least two unintended consequences." - - - or something along those lines.

Like Lockman pointed out, "Don't seek help!" If a person is in need of mental help, they already may be trying to find reasons not to go to a mental health professional. Doesn't this law provide just one more excuse to avoid seeking help?

I moved to Missouri 8 months ago from Peoria, IL where I lived for 10 years. I have already obtained my CCW and have been packing a Springfield Armory 1911 "Champion" for the past two months....EVERYWHERE I GO.

The irony is: Now I feel safer than I ever did in Peoria, but there hasn't been a shooting here for a YEAR AND A HALF! While in Peoria, there were two or three shootings or robberies EVERY WEEK.

The one place I felt threatened, was where I wasn't allowed to carry! Now that I can defend myself.....there's not a real need to!

GOD I LOVE MISSOURI!

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

lockman wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
ilbob wrote:

If you own a gun, and stress or loss of a loved one gets you depressed, do not seek treatment. Let the chips fall where they may. You can not risk you rights over one persons opinion of your mental health.

A blanket "don't seek help" may be harsh, Seek help from those support systems outside of the reporting requirements; church or fellowship groups, or go to a state where reporting requires a judicial order.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

ilbob wrote:

The concern is what would it take tocertify you as a loon.Let's sayyou are a person who is talking to apsychiatrist about what yourDad did to you as a child. You are venting 30 years of rage and you say "I just want him dead! I want to kill him for what he did to me!" A normal verbal response and a way to defuse the anger - or is it a threat to someone else and must be reported to the State Police? Once you are in the system, new stricter laws couldapply to you and render you defenseless against those that do not obey the law.

People often confuse "lawful" and "able". A person who is not lawfully allowed to purchase a firearm is more than able to purchase one, if they are willing to break another law and pay the going price. Laws have never stopped crime, they just make the consequences of committing the crime more than most people are willing to pay. Someone who isdetermined to take another's life already knows that their life will be over as well - and they are willing to pay that price to get what they want.

LoveMyCountry