• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Picking New Handgun

silver nekode

imported post

I am preparing to buy my first handgun. It's actually going to be the second handgun i've owned, but the first i bought myself, and as the first one is practically useless, i'd like to get something better this time. I am working security, and getting ready to go into law enforcement in a few years, so i need something appropriate to both arena's. I've found two specific weapons I'm really looking at seriously and I would appreciate comments on them, or suggestions of others. I'm not looking for a "which one is better" just whatever specifics you've noticed about particular guns/calibers, and pros and cons. What are your experiences?

The two that I am looking at are the Beretta 92 or the glock 17 or 22
I'm still not sure which caliber I want to go with either, because of my line of work I am looking at either .40 or 9mm.

Hopefully I'll get a day off and get to go to the range and try them out, after I do I'll let yall know what I think.

sccrref

imported post

I have a Baretta PX4 Storm in 40 cal. So far I am loving it. I also have a Glock 19 and 21. The 9mm and .45. I like both of them too. Right now the Baretta is what I carry when I go out. I started at the range shooting some different models . The glocks were my first 2 purchases. My gun store did not have the Baretta as a range gun so I wound up taking their advice on faith. As I said, so far it is the best of the 3.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

silver nekode wrote:
I am preparing to buy my first handgun. It's actually going to be the second handgun i've owned, but the first i bought myself, and as the first one is practically useless, i'd like to get something better this time. I am working security, and getting ready to go into law enforcement in a few years, so i need something appropriate to both arena's. I've found two specific weapons I'm really looking at seriously and I would appreciate comments on them, or suggestions of others. I'm not looking for a "which one is better" just whatever specifics you've noticed about particular guns/calibers, and pros and cons. What are your experiences?

The two that I am looking at are the Beretta 92 or the glock 17 or 22
I'm still not sure which caliber I want to go with either, because of my line of work I am looking at either .40 or 9mm.

Hopefully I'll get a day off and get to go to the range and try them out, after I do I'll let yall know what I think.
Personally, I would go with the Glock 17, but that is just me... Second would be the 22, then the Beretta 92.

Some would say you get a little better stopping power with a .40 than a 9mm, however if you use the right ammo 9mm can match almost any cartridge, and as a plus, they are usually quite a bit cheaper, and easier to find. You begin to appreciate this when you put 250 rounds down range every trip out...

Because of your line of work -- most would say .45 for you line of work I would assume... but I favor the 9mm, you aren't going to take down a bear with a single shot, but then again you don't work for the NPS :)

Another suggestion, I think you might appreciate if you shoot it, is the S&W Sigma, I picked up one brand new for 300 bucks, I love it, ergonomically it is one of the best firearms I have ever held. They make it in 9mm and .40 S&W. With the left over cash you can add a toy to the rail! You can rent these at a lot of ranges, just thought I would throw this out there. The only down side is that they do not 'recommend +P ammo' however I have heard from a couple of people who shot +P just fine.

I personally think it is also much easier to find after market accessories for Glock's and they have a wider array of holsters as well.

It would also be nice to know how you plan on using the gun, going to the range a lot -- etc.

I am also going into law enforcement within a year -- some departments give you a firearms allowance, so I wouldn't personally worry too much about using this same gun as your rig when you do go into the field -- LEO229 can probably comment on this much better...

I am curious though, what is the other gun you own?

hogleg

imported post

See if you have a range nearby that will rent you the ones you are interested in. Try em out see how they feel in your hands andshoot em of course.Alot of folks like or dislike a gun just on how it feels to them.Rent some in different calibers as well. Then decide how you want to carry and the options for that particular model. There are many good guns available out there and many opinions to go with them.

Costs $5 to rent a gun at the range I go to.

USN_MA1

imported post

All of those weapons are accurate and reliable. The points that were brought up are good ones. What all are you looking to do with it? Two of the three are 9mm and the other .40, which do you prefer? Whereas you cant go wrong with any of them, there are a million reasons to pick one over another.

silver nekode

imported post

I plan to use it for both open and concealed carry. I am specifically looking for a weapon with a rail, i think i forgot to mention that earlier, and i actually have my toy for it, I have a streamlight strion and a kydex holster for it that has a belt clip, which attaches the same as a rail, so i can pull off the belt clip and attach the flashlight in the holster to the weapon. the funny thing is i didnt even realize it when i bought the flashlight and then the holster. one thing i have been noticing is that I can't find any kind of Kydex holster capable of holding the baretta with a light attached, and have only found a few from Blackhawk! that will work for the glock.

I will be using the firearm primarily at a target range(here in Idaho that means a hillside owned by a gun club), but I also need something that I can use at work. That limits the caliber as my company only allows .38, .40, and 9mm.

The pistol that I currently own is a Davis Industries P380. a .380 auto POS. With the help of a friend who actually ended up taking a dremel to the thing, i have got it down to only jamming about one in three or four bullets chambered. I can aim at the target, but there is no telling where the bullet is going to go, i think this thing has a two inch barrell there abouts. slightly over two, can't remember the exact specs. and all together it is a very cheaply made firearm. It was bought for my grandmother while she was living alone on a farm. and neither her, nor my uncle who bought it, had the money to buy a decent firearm. When my grandmother died, i inherited the firearm. It sat on a shelf in my parents closet for many years until when i was 19 someone found it there and gave it to me.

And as to the range, I know there is an impact guns range a few blocks from where I work that rents pistols. I need to see if they have the ones that I would like to try. And thanks for the suggestion OpenRyan, I'll look at the specs on that Sigma.

One reason I want to stick to those calibers is that other than that little pistol I have had for approx. a year and a half, I have had no experience with pistols. I grew up on shotguns and rifles, but my parents were never into pistols. I only had a handful of chances to shoot them growing up, and never learned all that well. I have a friend who has been teaching me to shoot a pistol, but I still need something togetexperience with.

USN_MA1

imported post

Well, you can get both with a rail. Now I guess it just depends on which one you like to shoot better. That is pretty much it.

silver nekode

imported post

Well, I never got the chance to shoot the beretta, the gun range here doesn't rent that one, butI got to try the glock 17. The only problemI have with it is how light it is, but it's not as bad once it's loaded. However, with the incredible deal I may be able to get on one through a friend I will be buying it if I get the price I was told. My next purchase will probably be the beretta, although ifI am getting a second oneI will probably go with the .40 just soI have the variety. Thanks all for your input. I'll let yall know how the buying goes and what I think of the gun. This will be the interesting part as I am still only 20, and will be buying through a good friend. Might take a little while though as we both have very hectic work schedules.