• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Minor Victory in Henrico!

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

As some of you know, I recently wrote Col. Stanley of the Henrico PD to ask that he correct the FAQ's section of his departments web-site due to three factual errors in the three sentence answer to "How do I obtain a Concealed Weapon Permit".

With the assistance of the Clerk of the Henrico Cicuit Court (Yvonne Smith), the site has now been corrected!

The errors were:

1. The Chief of Police issues permits (I told the Chief Judge in my letter that one of my concerns was that the police chiefwas usurping the expressly granted authority of Virginia's courts by claiming he issues permits)

2. The renewal process is the same (the previous line of the old answerhadtalked about the fingerprinting requirement, then said "the renewal process is the same".I reminded the Chief that his department is expressly forbidden to fingerprint those seeking CHPrenewals, by act of the General Assembly)

3. Virginia issues Concealed Weapons Permits (I mentioned that this could create problems for those who have a CHP and conceal a knife or other non-firearm weapon, only to find out that they are in violation of the law because they relied on the wording on the PD's own web-site)

I received no response from Col. Stanley. After 16 days of no response and no change to the web-site, I wrote Yvonne Smith and the Chief Judge of the Circuit Court. Mrs. Smith wrote me back IMMEDIATELY with a full-page letter, copying Col. Stanley and the Chief Judge. I received her letter only three days after I mailed a letter to her.Mrs. Smithassured me her office always gives accurate information in regards to concealed handgun permits. She copied her letter to Col. Stanley, noting she has no authority over him but that she requests that he see to it that his site is updated. PRESTO!

Thank you, Mrs. Smith. I believe Mrs. Smith is appointed by the General Assembly (correct me if I am wrong).

Here is the updated information,very recentlyupdated:

How do I obtain a concealed Handgun permit? Application forms may be obtained from the Circuit Court Clerk's Office in the Courts Building at the County Government complex at 4301 East Parham Road. The applicant files the application and pays a $50 fee in the Clerk's Office. The Police Department will conduct a background investigation and fingerprint the applicant. Call (804)501-4202 for more information. Click here for information on other permits.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Way to go, Sic!

Here in Fairfax Co. the Clerk of the Circuit Court is elected. I've noticed the campaign signs just this week.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Very good work, SST. You persevered.

Kudos to Mrs. Smith, too.

clapsmiley.gif

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

I received a very kind and thankful letter from Col Stanley today thanking me for bringing the errors to his attention. He noted that he will insure that the corrections are made immediately. This is the second time I have had a really positive response from Col. Stanley.