• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got My Serpa!

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

unrequited wrote:
That's interesting because that's one of the only complaints, that the Serpa sits too far away from the body even when OC'ing.
You're probably in shape. My shape... is oval. :)

molonlabetn

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
I have a question for all you BH CQC w/serpa die hards.

You carry with retention for the what if some one attempts a gun grab, have you given any thought to what if your gun arm(strong side)is disabled prior to you drawing yourgun?

Can you draw it with your none dominate (the side thegun isn't on)arm?:D
Sure. I can engage the release withthe middle finger of my left hand easily while grasping the grip inverted with my thumb and forefinger... probably an easier draw than a tighter holster like a Fobus would be, since they require more force to extract, and the SERPA has little friction.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Agent19 wrote:

You carry with retention for the what if some one attempts a gun grab, have you given any thought to what if your gun arm(strong side)is disabled prior to you drawing yourgun?

That's why I am in pursuit to get a 2nd kimber for the "weak side":celebrate

molonlabetn

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
molonlabetn wrote:
engage the release withthe middle finger of my left hand easily while grasping the grip inverted with my thumb and forefinger...
not trying to insult:

but you must have Monkey fingers(extremely long)
No insult... ya' know what they say about guys with long fingers... :what:

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Agent19 wrote:

This is why I'm leaning towards a holster like the Safariland ALS that has a thumb level release instead of a finger release. This not only allows you to draw with you weak hand (designed that way) but it also keeps the release mechanism between the gun and the body, which makes getting the gun out that much hard unless you're the one wearing it.

With that being said, I have looked extensively at the serpa holsters and I feel confident that I could draw with my weakhand if necessary. Out of curiosity, if you simply push the button but don't touch the weapon, does it "pop out" allowing you to then pull it out, or do you have to be holding the button to draw?

Marco

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Out of curiosity, if you simply push the button but don't touch the weapon, does it "pop out" allowing you to then pull it out, or do you have to be holding the button to draw?

Gravity!

attachment.php

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
DreQo wrote:
Out of curiosity, if you simply push the button but don't touch the weapon, does it "pop out" allowing you to then pull it out, or do you have to be holding the button to draw?
it won't pop out.
Gravity!
the button needs to be pressed as you draw
The reason I ask is because I noticed there was a small spring lever thingy below the locking device where the front of the trigger guard would rest. I didn't know if this was designed to push the weapon up enough to clear the lock when released, or if it was some sort of activation for the lock itself..

bourneshooter

imported post

First, I wish I had bought a holster other than the SERPA. Do not like it, but am to poor to buy another holster for OC right now.

Wynder wrote:
I carry mine strong-side at 3 o'clock. I can't draw from there with my weak-hand, regardless.
Weak-hand draw is something that I have been playing with the last few weeks. Only way that it will work is if you do the upside down gun grip. This is familiar to those who watched the movie Bourne Identity. I grab the gun with the pinkie finger on the serpa mechanism. Then I pull out from the holster. This will put the gun in an upside down postition. I then somehow without self muzzle flashing get the gun in the correct postition. Can't explain exactly how that step goes, but it goes.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I then somehow without self muzzle flashing get the gun in the correct postition. Can't explain exactly how that step goes, but it goes.
http://www.safariland.com/media/pop.asp?model=6365

The last part of this video shows how to successfully draw with your weak or "support" hand. It is a different holster, so the release from the holster is different, but everything else is the same. I like this video because he uses my gun :).

muzz3256

imported post

The ALS looks ok, but it seems to take a long time to unlock and then draw and fire your weapon. I definatly prefer the Serpa. From what I can tell, the spring in the bottom of the trigger guard keeps positive pressure againt the locking device when the gun is holstered, at least is does on my serpa for my SA XD.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

muzz3256 wrote:
The ALS looks ok, but it seems to take a long time to unlock and then draw and fire your weapon. I definatly prefer the Serpa. From what I can tell, the spring in the bottom of the trigger guard keeps positive pressure againt the locking device when the gun is holstered, at least is does on my serpa for my SA XD.

That would make sense for the spring. As far as the holster you just saw there, that actually has a combination of ALS and SLS. The SLS is that hood that rotates to lock over the rear of the weapon, and must be rotated forward to draw. The ALS is a retention system like the Serpa, except that it snaps into the ejection port, and the release is activated with the thumb. Drawing with the ALS requires absolutely NO extra movement..it is a natural draw. They make holsters with JUST the ALS, which is what I'm looking at getting. I don't need Lvl 3 retention..

Aaaanyway the MAIN point of the video is to show the proper movements for drawing from a strongside holster with your weak hand :)

muzz3256

imported post

I have a question for all you BH CQC w/serpa die hards. You carry with retention for the what if some one attempts a gun grab, have you given any thought to what if your gun arm(strong side) is disabled prior to you drawing your gun? Can you draw it with your none dominate (the side the gun isn't on) arm? :D
Well, this would pose a problem with me for any holster. You see, I am a rather large person, and this would require my tiny T-Rex arms to navigate around the gut, not a journey that I would want. A lot of twisting. So if my strong side arm is disabled, I quess that I can just twist back and forth using it as a swinging club or something of that sort. :D

UTOC-45-44

imported post

muzz3256 wrote:
I have a question for all you BH CQC w/serpa die hards. You carry with retention for the what if some one attempts a gun grab, have you given any thought to what if your gun arm(strong side) is disabled prior to you drawing your gun? Can you draw it with your none dominate (the side the gun isn't on) arm? :D
Well, this would pose a problem with me for any holster. You see, I am a rather large person, and this would require my tiny T-Rex arms to navigate around the gut, not a journey that I would want. A lot of twisting. So if my strong side arm is disabled, I quess that I can just twist back and forth using it as a swinging club or something of that sort. :D
Just get a Gun for Your weak side too. This is TOTALLY justifiable too just HAVE too Buy ANOTHER gun:lol:...:celebrate