• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got My Serpa!

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Oooohh... is it nice. Sweet, natural draw -- the locking mechanism is flawless. Looking forward to testing it out a bit more tomorrow. Also ordered an Uncle Mike's double mag holder as well.

unrequited

imported post

kool-aid for you!

...another one for the bandwagon!

I was thinking of honestly getting a second so I don't have to keep switching the paddle attachment for my shoulder holster rig.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Now, I'm still fairly new to this, but is that what the paddle is for? Just attaching it to a shoulder harness?

bayboy42

imported post

Wynder - nope, SERPAs aren't designed for inside the waistband carry. There are two ways to attach the SERPA to your waistband either with the belt attachement, or the paddle attachment. The paddle attachment lets you take the holster on and off without undoing your belt (or even wearing a belt for that matter). Its a matter of personal preference which one you use.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

unrequited wrote:
kool-aid for you!

...another one for the bandwagon!

I was thinking of honestly getting a second so I don't have to keep switching the paddle attachment for my shoulder holster rig.
I got a second one so that I could have one ready for Belt use ("clip" holster too) and one for Paddle use ("clip" holster too ) . I am in the middle of buying one for my Shoulder Rig too + extra clip holders.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

OH!

Thank you. That makes perfect sense now. I may have to try that... here's my problem; I'm kind of a big guy -- not so much tall as wide, and not even by that much, maybe 6' and a svelt 245lbs.

In any case... man, this is going to be somewhat embarrasing, but with my Fobus HK-1 and my Serpa, I've noticed that the holsters (worn on the belt at 3 o'clock) keep it quite close to my body to the point where, unless I'm inhaling a bit, sometimes (not always) I may have the slightest of issues drawing.

Anyone else experience that? I'm wondering if the paddle would push it out a tiny bit more and make the draw a bit more natural.

Don't laugh, please. :lol:

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Well...,I'm about 6ft and 220

Serpa does sell "extenders", I've heard.
Meaning the "extenders" gets the gun further away from the Body if needed.

molonlabetn

imported post

Wynder wrote:
OH!

Thank you. That makes perfect sense now. I may have to try that... here's my problem; I'm kind of a big guy -- not so much tall as wide, and not even by that much, maybe 6' and a svelt 245lbs.

In any case... man, this is going to be somewhat embarrasing, but with my Fobus HK-1 and my Serpa, I've noticed that the holsters (worn on the belt at 3 o'clock) keep it quite close to my body to the point where, unless I'm inhaling a bit, sometimes (not always) I may have the slightest of issues drawing.

Anyone else experience that? I'm wondering if the paddle would push it out a tiny bit more and make the draw a bit more natural.

Don't laugh, please. :lol:

I use the paddle configuration (I do wear a belt), and I find that this configuration actually holds the holster/gun much closer and higher on the body than the belt-loops...

As I recall, there is a 'duty' SERPA holster which rides a bit lower... that may be what you need.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I hate all of you. I want a Serpa, but they don't and wont make it for my gun...Smith & Wesson SW99. I'm starting to look at the ALS Safariland holster, since they do make one for my gun. Do you think these would be comparable to the serpas?

UTOC-45-44

imported post

DreQo wrote:
I hate all of you. I want a Serpa, but they don't and wont make it for my gun...Smith & Wesson SW99. I'm starting to look at the ALS Safariland holster, since they do make one for my gun. Do you think these would be comparable to the serpas?
:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Maybe I'll just use it as incentive to drop a few pounds, but yes -- it'd be perfect if it were lowered a few inches.
I hate all of you. I want a Serpa, but they don't and wont make it for my gun...Smith & Wesson SW99.
They don't make one for the sw9ve, but the Glock 21 Serpa fits it perfectly... perhaps there's a similar model gun that yours might fit into?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

They don't make one for the sw9ve, but the Glock 21 Serpa fits it perfectly... perhaps there's a similar model gun that yours might fit into?
I severely doubt it. I went through that ordeal with the guy at the local gun shop when he insisted that, instead of ordering the correct holster for my weapon, we just dig around until we find one in his shop that fit. He must have tried over 50 different holsters on my gun, with out any luck. Besides, I couldn't bring myself to do it. It's just not right, lol.

bayboy42

imported post

DreQO - don't have any firsthand experience with the Safariland ALS but looking at their website, there doesn't seem to be much similarities between the SERPA and the ALS. The ALS looks like it requires two steps to release the gun vs. one for the SERPA. THe ALS locks into the ejection port vice the trigger guard for the SERPA. Not saying it not a darn fine system, just that the two have some obsious differences.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
DreQO - don't have any firsthand experience with the Safariland ALS but looking at their website, there doesn't seem to be much similarities between the SERPA and the ALS. The ALS looks like it requires two steps to release the gun vs. one for the SERPA. THe ALS locks into the ejection port vice the trigger guard for the SERPA. Not saying it not a darn fine system, just that the two have some obsious differences.
Agree

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Yyyeah, you're right. The "ALS" itself seems to be relatively similiar, in the sense that it locks onto a part of the weapon, and requires a switch to release it. I wish they offered a holster WITHOUT the SLS (the second step you were referring to) and the hood guard crap. Those options are absolutely wonderful features, but I don't want all of them on a side holster.

If and when I get a thigh holster, I'll definately be getting one of those, though.

unrequited

imported post

Wynder wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
Well...,I'm about 6ft and 220

Serpa does sell "extenders", I've heard.
Meaning the "extenders" gets the gun further away from the Body if needed.

Ordered...

http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=411400CBK

Thanks, UTOC
That's interesting because that's one of the only complaints, that the Serpa sits too far away from the body even when OC'ing.