• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Put the Bug in their Ear...

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

To preface, I'mstaffat a small state college where I live... It's small, but we do have four campuses that span across the state. In any case, on my way in from the parking lot, I stop bythree of the security guards who are chatting and watching as folks are coming into the parking garage and I strike up a conversation with them... taking into account, since we are a small school, we're familliar with each other.

Me: Walk up to them, "Hey, is there anything prohibiting you guys from carrying a firearm?"

Them: Silence for a moment while they kind of look at each other.

Them: "Well, it's mostly the college regulations and money issues."

Me: "Really?"

Them: "Yeah, in order for that to happen, they'd need to put out the money to advance us to constable positions."

(Understandable -- if they're going to assume the risk of carrying a firearm and undergo the training, I'd probably want more money, too).

Me: Gotcha.

(At this point, they loosen up a bit and get more into the conversation)

Them: Yeah, I mean, we worked for what? Four or five years just to get cuffs and spray earlier this year?

Me: "Five years?!"

Them: 'Yeah -- you know how fast the state moves."

Me: "No doubt... well, have you guys talked about it at all?"

Them: "Oh yeah, but it needs approval from the board of directors, funding from the state, then there's the logistical issues."

Me: "Like what?"

Them: "Well, the four campuses try to do things as one college, but the thing is, some of the other campuses don't need firearms."

Them: "So, it tooks us that long to get spray and cuffs, you mention 'gun' and that'll probably take another six years."

(Take into account, we're in a fairly dense, high crime rate city and the other campuses are in very, very nice parts of the state or are fairly inaccessible to foot traffic.)

Me: "Do any of you guys normally carry?"

Them: "Yeah, those two guys do." Points to two of the guards.

Me: "What do you normally carry?"

Them: "Mini Glock .40."

Me: "Nice -- I use a S&W Sigma." Go into a discussion about how the Sigma is similar to the Glock 19 in design.

Me: "Well, I'll let you guys get back to work, but keep on that -- it'd make me feel safer."

I then walk away and hear them continue to chat it up about guns on my way towards the building. I know, as a state facility, things do take a *very* long time to happen, especially when it comes to appropriating funds, ESPECIALLY for positions. However, I think this is 100% mission accomplished in at least getting things moving for security to carry on campus with the inevitable hope that staff and faculty could be brought into consideration as well.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Here's the thing...

Two days later, over the weekend, there was a shooting (no casualties) at another local college. The shooter was a transfer student from our school.

Kinda of frightening.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

A guy was publicly exposing himself (urinating) in front of two females when two males started to question him. The guy ran back to his dorm, got his weapon and came back out and began to fire.

If I recall, the two men fled in two cars and the shooter took off as well. He turned himself into the police a couple of days later. In deep doo doo.

imperialism2024

imported post

Wynder wrote:
A guy was publicly exposing himself (urinating) in front of two females when two males started to question him. The guy ran back to his dorm, got his weapon and came back out and began to fire.

If I recall, the two men fled in two cars and the shooter took off as well. He turned himself into the police a couple of days later. In deep doo doo.

Ah, so it wasn't really premeditated, then? It doesn't sound like his goal was to kill people... he was just probably intoxicated and at least temporarily stupid...