• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

C.F. Phelps WMA Rifle Range

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Went to the C.F. Phelps WMA rifle range yesterday. This is an unsupervised range, so it's up to you and whoever else is there to work out range management. It's a fairly clean range, with 6 nicely covered stations. Rifles, shotguns, and scoped single-shot handguns only, no full auto allowed. Targets can be at 25, 50 & 100yds. The range is pretty much designed as a sight-in range, there's no capability to shoot standing up, you might be able to shoot prone from the benches as they're fairly large. There was only one other person there the whole time I was there (1:40PM-3:20PM), so at least during the day on weekdays it appears to be pretty available. Paper targets only, they attach to the target stands with clothespins (you may want to bring some of your own, or use tape, as there may not be enough to go around if it's crowded) so you don't need to bring a stapler.

All in all a good experience, but after 40rds through the .270Win, my shoulder is a bit sore;)

Map, directions, hours & range rules can be found here: http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/detail.asp?pid=17

BTW, I'm fairly close to there, drop me a PM if you're headed out that way and want some company...

Tomahawk

imported post

I drove all the way down there a few months ago because I needed a place to shoot black powder revolvers, and I was pi**ed to find that it is handgun-unfriendly. And I hate ranges where you can only shoot from a bench, single-shot, etc.

DGIF needs an adjustment. They are a hunting-oriented organization and they have no sympathy for people who wish to practice for self-defense, nor do they allow OC on their turf.

And unless I'm mistaken, this is a seasonal range, so it's not open year-round.

Now I drive to West Virginia when I need a good public range.

LEO 229

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
I drove all the way down there a few months ago because I needed a place to shoot black powder revolvers, and I was pi**ed to find that it is handgun-unfriendly. And I hate ranges where you can only shoot from a bench, single-shot, etc.

DGIF needs an adjustment. They are a hunting-oriented organization and they have no sympathy for people who wish to practice for self-defense, nor do they allow OC on their turf.

And unless I'm mistaken, this is a seasonal range, so it's not open year-round.

Now I drive to West Virginia when I need a good public range.
No full auto either!!!!

dixiehacker

Founder's Club Member
imported post

What public range do you use in WV? I often use the one on rt33 west of Harrisonburg. Is the the one you use as well, or do you know of a closer one?

Tomahawk

imported post

dixiehacker wrote:
What public range do you use in WV? I often use the one on rt33 west of Harrisonburg. Is the the one you use as well, or do you know of a closer one?
I use the one west of Martinsburg, Sleepy Creek I think it's called, but I have also use the one you use as well, although it's a longer drive. Sometimes it's worth it, because it has a seperate pistol range and is usually less crowded and has a little bit nicer facilities, less trashy, etc.

dixiehacker

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
dixiehacker wrote:
I use the one west of Martinsburg, Sleepy Creek I think it's called, but I have also use the one you use as well, although it's a longer drive. Sometimes it's worth it, because it has a seperate pistol range and is usually less crowded and has a little bit nicer facilities, less trashy, etc.
Thanks! That one actually looks like it is farther than the on at 33. BTW, I was just at the range off 33 and they had a bunch or warning signs saying that is vandalism is continued that they would shut the range down. I really hope that doesn't happen.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

So the gun grabbers can vandalize a range and the dept. will close it for everybody.
Why not just make vandalizing illegal? :banghead:

Yata hey