• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Bay Days Once Again

glock9emem

imported post

I am active dute Air Force. One member of our unit received an email stating that NO WEAPONS!!! would be allowed in the festival area. The email also stated that there had been an "incident" last year. The member of my unit that received this email from the person coordinating volunteers at the festival and the email was not specific as to whether this ban was in effect for the volunteers or for the general public. Have they not learned their lesson?

bayboy42

imported post

AF Volunteers Only!!! I had a conversation with one of the Bay Days organizers just yesterday and he made fun of Norfolk cause Bay Days isn't following suit.

Glock 9emem...check your private messages.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

glock9emem wrote:
I am active dute Air Force. One member of our unit received an email stating that NO WEAPONS!!! would be allowed in the festival area. The email also stated that there had been an "incident" last year. The member of my unit that received this email from the person coordinating volunteers at the festival and the email was not specific as to whether this ban was in effect for the volunteers or for the general public. Have they not learned their lesson?
Post the email here for us to see.

glock9emem

imported post

This is not an AF rule...This email came from one of the organizers for the event....And I cannot post the name of the individual beacause it was sent to a government email address

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

glock9emem wrote:
This is not an AF rule...This email came from one of the organizers for the event....And I cannot post the name of the individual beacause it was sent to a government email address
Huh? Why not? Just redact YOUR email address. We want this guy's name ASAP.

glock9emem

imported post

Trust me i wish i could but since it was sent to a government email address it is considered official business and i would have to go through my chain to get you the name.

bayboy42

imported post

The e-mail came from one of the AF organizers for volunteer activities....not from one of the Bay Days Committee Members (hence the government e-mail address). If he/she is saying that the Bay Days or the City of Hampton does not allow weapons, then they are mistaken. Like Mike Said, post the e-mail and redact the address.

bayboy42

imported post

I retract all my previous statements.

Just spoke to glock9emem and the situation is different then what I interepreted from his first post. The Bay Days volunteer coordinator is informing volunteers (not acting in any kind of AF capacity)that no weapons are allowed.

I'm following up with my Bay Days POC but it is a Friday at 1630 so there is a good chance hes gone for the day.

glock9emem

imported post

Well I had planned on attending this event today anyway. Some good classic rock bands are playing. I'm headed there in about an hour if anyone else would like to meet up.

glock9emem

imported post

I just returned from Bay Days. Apparentely the entire staff was breifed on Virginia firearms laws. I pulled into one of the parking garages where there were 3 attendants standing at the gate. I had my .40 S&W Sigma sitting on the dash. The first attendant came to my passenger window and asked if I had a parking permit. I told him I hadn't. He informed me this particular parking garage was for permit holders only. By this time there was another car behind me in the same situation and he went behind my vehicle to talk to the man behind me. As this was happening one of the other attendants came to my driver side window and on his way over I saw him staring at my dashboard. I thought he was looking at my pistol but was in fact looking for a parking pass. He asked if I had a permit which I thought he was referring to a CCW. I told him I didn't need one as long as it was out in plain sight. He laughed and told me he was referring to a parking permit but then told me they preferred if I carried concealed. I let him know I didn't have a concealed permit and he seemed fine with that. As I was leaving I heard him telling the third attendant the laws. So I finally find a parking spot and go and listen to Grand Funk Railroad for about an hour. On my way out I passed a group of two officers one of which looked down at my sidearm as I was passing him, looked back up at me and said how ya doin' buddy? So all in all a success for passing the word to police officers about the Virginia open carry laws.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

Wow! Thanks, Glock!

Sometimes something negative has to happen in order to spread the word and end up positive.

The Council may not be particularly responsive, but I doubt the Police department enjoyed the initial news story with the quote about officers not knowing the law. I bet they all do, now.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

glock9emem wrote:
Trust me i wish i could but since it was sent to a government email address it is considered official business and i would have to go through my chain to get you the name.

Government email is subject to FOIA - it is the PUBLIC's business.

Redact the sender's name if you want, but publish this email!

HardChrome

imported post

Mike wrote:
glock9emem wrote:

Government email is subject to FOIA - it is the PUBLIC's business.

Redact the sender's name if you want, but publish this email!

Must be some internal rule because I work for the feds too and we have no stipulation like that. Surely you get jokes to your government address? Can you not pass those along without official approval as well?

LEO 229

imported post

I can understand not forwarding "Government Business" as it could be for official use only.

But if you receive an email that has NOTHING to do with the government.. with the exception that it was sent to a Government email address... There is no restriction in what you do with it.

If this were the case.. you are already in violation for just talking about it here.

As mentioned already.... Just because you get SPAM... does not mean it is now an OFFICIAL EMAIL that has restrictions attached. The email is not classified so you are not compelled to keep the contents a secret.

Cut and past the messagefor crying out loud!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I can understand not forwarding "Government Business" as it could be for official use only.
Technically, "For Official Use Only" is not a legal federal FOIA classification and such records are still the public's business - can't be withheld under FOIA request.

apjonas

imported post

FOUO is and of itself, determines nothing in the context of FOIA. FOIA requests are made for TS and beyond materials (which are often relased, at least in part). While FOIA mandates the release of materials that are not exempted, it does not forbid release of materials (in the general scheme). There are other laws such as the Privacy Act, those pertaining to classification that in addition to FOIA exempted materials may prevent release (which may or not be mandatory - sometimes even FOIA exempted materials are released for policy reasons).

The fact that a document was viewed, held in or printed from government equipment does not by itself give it protection. It is the content which controls. Of course there are rules against using government time and/or equipment for reading or printing for private purposes - but that is a different issue.

Was the information (including the name) made available to the general public or some subset thereof? Are there any Privacy Act considerations? If not and you were authorized to read the mail (or keep a copy), simply memorize the name and send it at the public library (provided there are no other restrictions).

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

glock9emem wrote:
So I finally find a parking spot and go and listen to Grand Funk Railroad for about an hour...

Man, you are OLD!

Hmmm, I may still have those GFR albums around here somewhere....

glock9emem wrote:
Privacy Act applies. The woman has affiliation with the AF and I cannot release her information without her permission.

We-want-the-e-mail!

We-want-the-e-mail!

We-want-the-e-mail!

We-want-the-e-mail!

We-want-the-e-mail!

Ahh, keep it secret if you want...but there's no really good reason not to disclose the contents (without names)...

LEO 229

imported post

Mike wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Technically, "For Official Use Only" is not a legal federal FOIA classification and such records are still the public's business - can't be withheld under FOIA request.
I would agree..

In that case he could not just GIVE IT to us. We would need to make an official request.

But since it is NOT business related.. there is no question that he can do so without asking his chain of command for any permission.