• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arlington OC DINNER!

IanB

imported post

Last call guys, if you are going... PM me. I'll be there at 0900 in front of the bld. Will head inside @ 0915. Meeting starts at 0930, not 0900 as previously reported. I also confirmed the courthouse is in another bld two blocks down the street so everything should be a "GO". I'll have an audio recorder on me as well.

IanB

imported post

well, I got off to a late start, my alarm didn't go off for some reason. But I got here, and im inside right now. I walked right past an Alex PD officer wearing captains bars, didn't get his name. The sherrif is here standing up front. So far no problems whatsoever. Oh, the farmers market is going on outside, there are a lot of people out on the square!

Marco

imported post

attachment.php

IanB

imported post

Email just sent to PVC:

Philip,

I went to the Alexandria City Council meting held this morning at 0930. I was dressed in blue jeans, a tucked in button up shirt (intentionally chose a pink shirt to look like a “good guy”) Blackhawk Serpa holster carrying a Sig P226, and a VCDL ball cap. I arrived at 0920 to find the square in front of city hall was being used for a farmers market; it was packed with vendors, adults and children enjoying the fair weather and cool temperatures. All of the doors leading into city hall were locked except the main doors in the square where the market was occurring. Several citizens noticed me but none said anything as I walked briskly to find the entrance. Upon entering, I encountered a private security guard behind a desk in the lobby. He did not notice my firearm due to his desk being too tall and him looking directly at my face when I asked for directions the council chambers. (Walk past the guard desk, take the first left, and use the elevator to go to the second floor.) On the second floor you exit the elevator to the left to arrive at the doors to the chambers. There was an Alexandria PD officer at the door (did not slow down, so I didn’t see his nametag) wearing the military rank of an Army Captain, but instead of silver insignia his were gold. I wished him a good morning and he did the same. He did notice that I was armed; his eyes told me everything I needed to know. I entered and sat in the back of the chambers, third row in from the exit. A group of parents and children were sitting in the seats up front, I later learned they were to speak about youth issues and park availability for soccer games and practices. The Alex. PD Capt. entered and spoke with a few men in civilian clothes (business attire / suits and ties) as well as another Alex. PD Lieutenant (gold insignia). They tried to not be obvious but I noticed them glance my way several times. Also, it appeared that Dana Lawhorne, the Sherriff of Alexandria was up front; but I never got a good enough view of him to confirm this. The Alex. PD Capt. sat down in the row behind me at my 4:40 position as the meeting was called to order. The Mayor Euille made a brief statement acknowledging the parents and children present for the soccer issue, and said he had protested in the Alex. City Council chambers himself as a youth over a basketball court the city wished to convert to tennis courts. Those basketball courts still stand today according to Mayor Euille. There are two podiums present on either side of the room, depending on which is closest, the citizen speaker may use either one. The parents spoke about their concerns, and the City Council members were professional and courteous toward the parents. After 20 minutes, I noticed the Alex. PD Capt get up and leave the row behind me, to be replaced by the Alex. PD Lt. They never said a word to me, but I could tell I was the reason they were sitting there. The parents and children left the chambers after they finished speaking and were followed by a lady who was *not* happy the City Council was giving them a park for soccer activities carte blanche. She had a negative tone to her and the council listened to her comments with a hint of amusement. In defense of the council, the lady was a little batty and I found myself snickering at what she had to say as well. Something to the effect that she was going to set up a croquet game on the field and the kids should find somewhere else to play.

After the public comments portion had concluded I got up to leave, and once again wished a good morning to the Alex. PD Capt. who was now standing at the exit. The walk back to my car was uneventful.

I would like to include one thought: I did not observe any junior PD officers present this morning, only higher level employees. The problems legal gun owners have been experiencing in Alexandria have not been with the seasoned supervisors. In fact, the seasoned veterans have acted to fix the problem (see below letter from Capt. Hassan to MS). The junior PFC’s, corporals, and sergeants are the ones engaged in the harassment, as they are also the ones out on the beat working the patrols. The junior officers (in one known case) have flagrantly stated "I don't care what was said, [training from Capt. Hassan –NSL] I have a problem with you carrying here, tonight." (http://tinyurl.com/2v66d4) Due to this, I must think that my experience this morning, while pleasant, may not be a great example to show that the Alex PD has finally gotten word out to officers with instructions to not harass citizens legally and responsibly carrying firearms in the City of Alexandria.

NSL
Annandale, VA

Alex. PD Capt. Hassan email to MS: http://tinyurl.com/3d5d5n

In a message dated 7/2/2007 3:21:25 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Hassan.Aden@alexandriava.gov writes:
Hi Mr. Stollenwerk,

This email is in response to your email dated June 30, 2007.

I wanted to thank you for bringing up potential training issues for our officers regarding how they interact with persons openly carrying firearms within the City of Alexandria. In response to the issues you raised, I am coordinating legal training through our Commonwealth Attorney's Office to provide our staff with legal updates associated with open carry laws.

If you have any questions or concerns, please call me at 571-221-8503.

Thank you.
Hassan

Captain Hassan Aden
Alexandria Police Department
City Council Liaison
Mobile: 571-221-8503
Office: 703-838-6360 ext. 1274
hassan.aden@alexandriava.gov

MolenLabe!

imported post

I know this post is a bit late (but I had a good excuse -- I was out at Front Sight), but I just wanted to say it was great to have met y'all and that I'm up for doing it again soon.

Just to keep you up-to-date on my situation with Arlington PD, I received a call from Sgt. Penn who quoted my FIOA request at $25-50, due in part to the large amount of related documentation. I advised him to proceed. We'll see what turns up.

Also, in related news, check out this story from OR.

http://www.libertyismyhomie.blogspot.com

P.S. I just realized I mis-spelled my member name so I'm going to create a new account w/ the correct spelling...

MolenLabe!

imported post

Front Sight was excellent. It was challenging though at a good level. We started with foundational stuff such as stance/grip etc. then continued to add more advanced stuff, eventually doing a man vs. man competition, night shoot, hostage taker scenario etc. Also, the four-day defensive handgun course was not just about handgun skill per se; we also had lectures on the use of deadly force/legality, carrying concealed, selecting a defensive handgun, the reality of the streets, and mindset etc.

Like all the others I spoke with, I left a lot more confident in my skill level and committed to continuing training. Also, the folks at Front Sight really stressed that in addition todisseminating firearms-related skills (and rope/rappel, edged weapons etc.) they also sought to change the climate in this country toward firearms (i.e. going on the offensive to counter the notions that guns are inherently evil).

If any of y'all are thinking of heading out that way hit me up and I'll share what info I have.

You can see some pics of my time at Front Sight (and Vegas) here.

Tomahawk

imported post

Man, NV sure is a desolate-looking place. I was there a few years ago, that bright sun and open space is something else. 19's right; I'd be wearing a long-sleeve shirt or slathering on the sunblock.

MolenLabe!

imported post

I was torn if between both extremes: pants/long-sleeves or shorts/tank-top + sunblock.There were folks in both campus butmost did the former. Fortunately for me, Front Sight provided sunblock so I didn't get burnt. But, even if I did, it would have been worth it.

BTW: An update on my encounter with the Arlington PD, which was one of the reasons for this thread/dinner: I had originally been in contact with Sgt. Penn but recently was contacted by Lt. Wasem, who asked for more time due to shifting staff assignments within the IA division and due to the amount of info. I authorized the extra time so now I'm supposed to have everything next Friday.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

MolonLabe! you should put all those links in their own thread. You have some pretty good info there.

swatpro911

imported post

MolonLabe! wrote:
Front Sight was excellent. It was challenging though at a good level. We started with foundational stuff such as stance/grip etc. then continued to add more advanced stuff, eventually doing a man vs. man competition, night shoot, hostage taker scenario etc. Also, the four-day defensive handgun course was not just about handgun skill per se; we also had lectures on the use of deadly force/legality, carrying concealed, selecting a defensive handgun, the reality of the streets, and mindset etc.

Like all the others I spoke with, I left a lot more confident in my skill level and committed to continuing training. Also, the folks at Front Sight really stressed that in addition todisseminating firearms-related skills (and rope/rappel, edged weapons etc.) they also sought to change the climate in this country toward firearms (i.e. going on the offensive to counter the notions that guns are inherently evil).

If any of y'all are thinking of heading out that way hit me up and I'll share what info I have.

You can see some pics of my time at Front Sight (and Vegas) here.

I saw your pictures, you sure dont look to be dangerous that the ACPD thought you were. I wonder why officer reacted like that. Anyway sorry for any misunderstanding. :cool: