• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Air Defense Battalion to deploy to Captial Region

vrwmiller

imported post

I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but believe that there are elaborate plots that exist. The following article explains that there is an Air Defense Battalion deploying to the Capital Region.

http://www.wesh.com/news/13949580/detail.html

Some speculate that it's in response to some (either specific or perceived) terror threats in the region. Others speculate that it's because of upcoming protests in DC. Yet others believe that the current administration (however outrageous this claim may be) will stage a coup and declare martial law.

I'm not sure that I believe any of the claims as they do seem outright rediculous and outrageous. So, was just wondering what other's idle thoughts on this troop movement would be for. I mean, how often would the President order an entire air defense battalion mobilized to the Captial Region?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Not the first time there has been ADA deployed to the DC area. We used to have nuclear warhead armed missiles around here. I see the Coast Guard chopper that interdicts aircraft in the DC no fly zone every day. Seems like a reasonable step to have personel and equipment capable of downing a threat aircraft.

Tomahawk

imported post

Doesn't sound like anything new to me. If you look at Ft. Washington on the MD side of the Potomac, you will notice that air defense equipment is usually depolyed on the riverbank in front of the fort, next to the lighthouse, and has been there since 911.

There was an article a few months ago in the paper about Civil Air Patrol pilots who were playing the rabbit in air defense exercises. Basically, they fly their Cessnas and Pipers around and try to avoid air defenses. Not my idea of a good deal, given that there may be a Sidewinder missile with my name on it hanging from an F-16 around here somewhere...

Analogman

imported post

Actually, it's sort of reassuring to see American troops used to DEFEND our country instead of invading someone else's. They are, after all, the Department of DEFENSE.

Neplusultra

imported post

Analogman wrote:
Actually, it's sort of reassuring to see American troops used to DEFEND our country instead of invading someone else's. They are, after all, the Department of DEFENSE.

As long as they don't start using them for law enforcement. Which if I heard correctly they can now do because the Posse Comitatus Act is near null and void. Congress, yes, thanks to our Dear Leader John Warner, has given the authority to the President (sound familiar?) to decide under what situations he can declare Martial Law and take your rights away. It used to be up to Congress. Our elected officials have washed their hands of that responsibility.

I was for the war in Iraq but these idiots in Congress are just giving the President too much power. If one branch has all the power where are the checks to that power?

dichamw

Alexandria (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Analogman wrote:

As long as they don't start using them for law enforcement. Which if I heard correctly they can now do because the Posse Comitatus Act is near null and void. Congress, yes, thanks to our Dear Leader John Warner, has given the authority to the President (sound familiar?) to decide under what situations he can declare Martial Law and take your rights away. It used to be up to Congress. Our elected officials have washed their hands of that responsibility.

I was for the war in Iraq but these idiots in Congress are just giving the President too much power. If one branch has all the power where are the checks to that power?
Then you better pray that Obama (muslimin disguise)or Hillary don't become President.

Tomahawk

imported post

dichamw wrote:
Then you better pray that Obama (muslimin disguise)or Hillary don't become President.

Or what? They'll end Posse Comitatus? Spy on you? Tap your phones? Pass a PATRIOT ACT? Decide you are a terrorist and whisk you off in the middle fo the night while denying you a speedy trial and a lawyer? Torture people? Start pointless and expensive wars? Whip up fear of muslims so they can usurp more power? Say they will sign a reauthorized assault weapon ban? Sic the BATFE to harrass gun dealers? Write "sigining statements" to say that the president doesn't really have to obey the law? Make secret lists of people who have been convicted of no crime but whom are denied the right to do honest business with an airline? Create a hugely expensive and useless new department?

Gee, how awful that would be! I certainly hope no "disguised muslim" ever gets into office, he might do all these horrible things! Good heavens, what would we do!

sjhipple

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
dichamw wrote:

Or what? They'll end Posse Comitatus? Spy on you? Tap your phones? Pass a PATRIOT ACT? Decide you are a terrorist and whisk you off in the middle fo the night while denying you a speedy trial and a lawyer? Torture people? Start pointless and expensive wars? Whip up fear of muslims so they can usurp more power? Say they will sign a reauthorized assault weapon ban? Sic the BATFE to harrass gun dealers? Write "sigining statements" to say that the president doesn't really have to obey the law? Make secret lists of people who have been convicted of no crime but whom are denied the right to do honest business with an airline? Create a hugely expensive and useless new department?

Gee, how awful that would be! I certainly hope no "disguised muslim" ever gets into office, he might do all these horrible things! Good heavens, what would we do!

+10,000!

Warner's bill destroying posse comitatus allows the president declare martial law anduse US troops againstAmericansfor almost any reason, including "to restore public order"...obviously that has nothing to do with terrorism. So you can imagine a scenario where the people took to the streets in righteous anger against their gov't and had this power abused by a current or future president (<sarcasm> but given this president's upmost respect for the law, I'm sure he'd never do that</sarcasm>).

That's not to say that's what's happening with this deployment, but free people should be vigilant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta-Y8hFv8I0

Shovelhead

imported post

It's just a "Normal" rotation of troops.

The troops here get togo home after serving in that misson for the past tour, others from bases in the US deploy to take their place.....nothing earth-shattering.