Thread: More legal ammunition

Post imported post

Over on another forum I've been discussing a recent account of a man in Ohio arrested for refusing to hand over his DL. (OCDO topic here)

In doing some searching to debate one of the more articulate members, I stumbled across this little Gem of a PDF From the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Division.

For those that like to OC sans 'papers', and bearing only a BORSE, as I do, this is good news.:celebrate

As an aside, it's going to be out to B-fast, harbor freight, winco (again) and the auto parts store for me this morning...I'll report back later!

Post imported post

Great Find!!!
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

For those of us that don't want to sift through 24 pages, what is it I'm looking for?

Post imported post

Because Washington State does not have a stop-and-identify statute like Nevada’s statute requiring identification during Terry stops, we think that Washington officers lack statutory authority to arrest for “obstructing” or for any other current Washington crime in this circumstance. Washington officers are, however, free to ask suspects in Terry stops to identify themselves or to show ID documents, and also may do so when conversing with pedestrians during non-Terry “citizen-contacts” (however, as to requesting ID from non-violator MV passengers, see the Washington Supreme Court’s Rankin decision digested below in this month’s LED at 7-13).
    Note, however, that under 46.61.020 and 46.64.070 you are required to produce ID on demand when operating a motor vehicle, and under 9.41.050 you are required to produce your CPL on demand (probably only if you are carrying, though).

The "non-violator MV passengers" comment refers to situations like: the operator has a learner's permit, so the officer can demand ID from the other passengers to verify that at least one has a valid DL, and the minimum age requirements aren't being violated, and so forth.

As a research resource for others:

https://fortress.wa.gov/cjtc/www/led/ledpage.html