• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Which Handgun Brand Is Most Reliable?

• Beretta

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Colt

• GLOCK

• Kimber

• Sig-Sauer

• Smith & Wesson (semi-autos)

• Smith & Wesson (revolvers)

• Springfield Armory

• Taurus (semi-autos)

• Total voters

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

*****multiple answers are allowed in this poll*****

Which brand of handgun do you think is most reliable for carry (OC or CC)?

Just your perception.Youmay or may not own one.

(If other than those shown above,specifyin a post.)

*****multiple answers are allowed in this poll*****

Tomahawk

imported post

Not enough data to form an informed opinion. I have "favorite" firearms, but that doesn't necessarily mean "most reliable". For me, the one's I carry are "reliable enough". And they are not listed in this poll, anyway. One of them's made by a company that went out of business a decade ago, anyway.

j2l3

imported post

I have a CZ 75B. It has never malfunctioned for me. I have some experience with the CZ75 (not the 75B) for a little over 20 years and have never seen on malfunction.

Warrenton NO CCW

imported post

The deputies carry Glocks, but the Sheriff carries an S&W wheel gun. If you are talking about absolute reliability statistically, then you may be talking about a revolver and not a pistol. Some of the metals, machining, tolerances of modern semi-automatics are approaching that reliability now, some would say it matches wheel guns for reliability. Would have to look at exhaustive testing results to answer this question. I am not sure. I have a Kimber 1911, an FS92 and an S&W stainless 686 (.357), the older 6-shot. For me, the FS92 is easiest to shoot accurately. ALL of these are heavy, but well made. If I had to bet, I would bet on the 686 to be the most reliable. It is built like a brick outhouse and does not have a lot of moving parts. For serious encounters a backup sure would be nice, but I am not sure just how many people go around packing a second firearm. Maybe smart LEOs and some CC folks. Depends too on your choice of ammunition. How many of you sometimes carry a second weapon?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Not enough data to form an informed opinion. I have "favorite" firearms, but that doesn't necessarily mean "most reliable". For me, the one's I carry are "reliable enough". And they are not listed in this poll, anyway. One of them's made by a company that went out of business a decade ago, anyway.

Plenty of information to answer the question, 'hawk:

Which brand of handgun do you think is most reliable for carry (OC or CC)?

This is a question about the perceived reliability of a brand. Not an individual gun. It's just fuel for a discussion, 'hawk. You can answer if you want to. You've got experience and knowledge of all the listed brands. You can participate if you wish. Of course, you don't have to, either. It's just a discussion. You don't have to have lawyer or a statistician to throw in your two cents.

It's just for fun. Just to kick it around. You know, commentary, stories, opinions. You don't got no opinions all of a sudden? :shock:

reefteach

imported post

Anyone who thinks a glock is more reliable than a S&W wheelgun is nuts. I have NEVER had failure to feed, a failure to extract, a stovepipe, a stuck mag, or a safety failure on my 340PD. And I also believe that NOBODY ever has. NowTHAT is reliablity.

Tomahawk

imported post

HankT wrote:
Well, if that's the case, I would say revolver, any brand. The S&W revolvers have great reputations, but traditional Colt/Ruger SAA pistols are reliable too,although a bit slow and impracticle for modern carry. I have a Blackhawk .45, and it's easily the most dependable bang device I own.

Heck, even a Pietta/Remington '58 cap and ball revolver is totally reliable. I have one of those that has NEVER failed to fire all six rounds, even after leaving it loaded for months on end with Pyrodex pellets.

Thus it's hard to nail it down to a brand, rather I would choose a design.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Did you intentionally leave HK off the list?

Yah. I initially had it up there, but as it was shaping up had to drop a few obvious ones since the poll function is limited to 10 options...

It should be apparent the poll pretty much takes the view that most carry is being done with semi-autos nowadays. That's just the way it is. But I wanted to add kind of a baseline, so I put the S&W revos in there, which works out nicely since I allowed multiple answers.

The poll is set up to produce a little bit of data--for amusement, discussion and possibly some insight. In this environment, such a poll is decidedly non-rigorous. It's for fun. So any methodological criticisms are, um, well, you know...

Tomahawk wrote:
HankT wrote:
Well, if that's the case, I would say revolver, any brand. The S&W revolvers have great reputations, but traditional Colt/Ruger SAA pistols are reliable too,although a bit slow and impracticle for modern carry. I have a Blackhawk .45, and it's easily the most dependable bang device I own.

Heck, even a Pietta/Remington '58 cap and ball revolver is totally reliable. I have one of those that has NEVER failed to fire all six rounds, even after leaving it loaded for months on end with Pyrodex pellets.

Thus it's hard to nail it down to a brand, rather I would choose a design.

Well, good, now that we got you to read thewhole post, it's good to get your participation, 'hawk.

It's not really hard to nail it down to a brand, though. It's pretty easy, actually. You confuse thisdifficulty with the simplefact that there aremultiple ways to look at reliability--actually perceived reliability. Brand is one. Design, type of gun, functional, manufacturing era, manufacturing process, country of origin, etc., are all good ways to do it. Dependson what you want to know.

As you can tell (well, maybe you can) the listofbrands ended up being almost exclusively semi-automatics.I would have made it totallysemis but I wanted to include the comparison to the revos (yes, I realize that other revo manufacturers aren't in there---again, the limitation is 10 options) for snicks.

Hey,how'd you vote, 'hawk?

And if you think it's a good perspective to look atreliability of design, why not start your own poll thread on that subject. I promise to voteand comment in it. Might becool to compare the tworesults.... I encourage youdo set up up a poll--for discussion, comment, stories, etc.

glocknroll

imported post

I have never had a problem with a S&W revolver except for the time I tried to lighten the trigger pull on a model 66 .357 and couldn't always get reliable ignition. I've been doing an unscientific test on my GLOCK 17. I haven't cleaned it in over 1000 rounds now and it is still going strong. I do lubricate it, I just haven't cleaned it. BTW, I don't carry my G17 while I am still testing. I carry my G32.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

glocknroll wrote:
I have never had a problem with a S&W revolver except for the time I tried to lighten the trigger pull on a model 66 .357 and couldn't always get reliable ignition.
How'd you try to do that? Untighten the strain screw?

Reverend73 wrote:
Heckler & Koch, hands down. You should have left it in the poll.
Ahhh, well, I had it in there. Also had Hi-Point....

I think about 15 options would have been nice...

Do you havec an H-K, R73? How is it?

How reliable is that Kimber of yours? Not better than the H-K, you say?

IanB

imported post

I have never had a malfunction with my HK, several thousand rounds through it. Can't say that for my Glock or Sig.

glocknroll

imported post

HankT wrote:
glocknroll wrote:
I have never had a problem with a S&W revolver except for the time I tried to lighten the trigger pull on a model 66 .357 and couldn't always get reliable ignition.

Exactly. A little judicious re-tightening and all was well.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

glocknroll wrote:
HankT wrote:
glocknroll wrote:
Very fewexperienced revo guysadvocate adjusting trigger pull via backing off on the strain screw. Most recommend against that. Light strikes is one ofresults, variation of strikes over time/shooting is another. I bought a used 686 once (with "a sweet trigger") and the first time I shot itgot about 3FTFs in the first two cylinders.Dman, I thought. Tightened up the strain screw and allwas well.

glocknroll

imported post

HankT wrote:
glocknroll wrote:
HankT wrote:
glocknroll wrote:
Very fewexperienced revo guysadvocate adjusting trigger pull via backing off on the strain screw. Most recommend against that. Light strikes is one ofresults, variation of strikes over time/shooting is another. I bought a used 686 once (with "a sweet trigger") and the first time I shot itgot about 3FTFs in the first two cylinders.Dman, I thought. Tightened up the strain screw and allwas well.
I was young, dumb, and full of.............myself, so I thought I could do it myself. I finally came to the conclusion that what I wanted was a smoother pull, instead of a lighter pull. I just shot the hell out of it until the trigger slicked up.

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
Reverend73 wrote:
Heckler & Koch, hands down. You should have left it in the poll.
Ahhh, well, I had it in there. Also had Hi-Point....

I think about 15 options would have been nice...

Do you havec an H-K, R73? How is it?

How reliable is that Kimber of yours? Not better than the H-K, you say?

Yes Hank, I have 3 HKs, a USP compact in 357SIG, USP45 and a USP45 Tactical--and I'm about to pick up a 4th, another compact in 357SIG for my girl. All three have been 100% reliable right out of the box. My warhorse USP45 has thousands of rounds through it and never a FTE, FTF, stovepipe, nothing but bang every time with any ammo I put through it.

The kimber, while ultra reliable now, was not so right out of the box. During the break in period I had a few FTEs.

I'll also happily admit that I am, indeed, a gun snob, if it is not a top tier gun in my opinion, I wont buy it. You do get what you pay for.