• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying your blue cards in Clark county - what does the law say?

bplv

imported post

h2ojunkie wrote:
I spoke with the Sgt. at the firearms detail today (I must have spoke with a Lt. last time because this person was not the same one I spoke with last week).

Anyway, he was very helpful and as I suspected he did confirm there is no legal requirement to carry the registration card, and there is no penalty for not having the card as long as the weapon is registered. However, he did state they recommend carrying the registration card as it speeds up the process of verifying the weapons registration (makes sense to me).

He agreed to have the lvmpd website updated to correct the misinformation.

It looks like the site was updated:
You should carry the gun registration card (not required) whenever you are in possession of the registered firearm.

http://www.lvmpd.com/permits/firearms_registration.html

h2ojunkie

imported post

bplv wrote:
h2ojunkie wrote:
I spoke with the Sgt. at the firearms detail today (I must have spoke with a Lt. last time because this person was not the same one I spoke with last week).

Anyway, he was very helpful and as I suspected he did confirm there is no legal requirement to carry the registration card, and there is no penalty for not having the card as long as the weapon is registered. However, he did state they recommend carrying the registration card as it speeds up the process of verifying the weapons registration (makes sense to me).

He agreed to have the lvmpd website updated to correct the misinformation.

It looks like the site was updated:
You should carry the gun registration card (not required) whenever you are in possession of the registered firearm.

http://www.lvmpd.com/permits/firearms_registration.html

I'm glad they updated it. As silly as it seems that really got my goat that they were implying it was required in the way the website was originally written. Compounded by the fact that everyone I've ever talked to in the department or at CCW classes has told me it was required. A lot of people with the wrong information out there, and at least the "official" site of the LVMPD now has this information correct.

I'm happy the website now clearly states the legal requirements and can go back about my business carrying my bluecards because I choose to, and not because someonetricked me into thinking I had to carry them by law. (whether intentionally or unintentionally)

Hats off to the firearms detail for updating the website, and not just blowing it off. It's nice to see when things run like they should!

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SB -92 enrolled version (signed by Governor) states that a period of 60 days of residency is required before a county or city can require registration and if you already are a resident at least 72 hours before you need to register a handgun that you take possession of. Of course this is only Las Vegas and Clark county the rest of Nevada is normal and you don't need to register. Boulder city and North Las Vegas still have their bans... hopefully one day the Chicoms will buy those two shameful places up...what's the loss?

vmaxanarchist

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Count wrote:
SB -92 enrolled version (signed by Governor) states that a period of 60 days of residency is required before a county or city can require registration and if you already are a resident at least 72 hours before you need to register a handgun that you take possession of. Of course this is only Las Vegas and Clark county the rest of Nevada is normal and you don't need to register. Boulder city and North Las Vegas still have their bans... hopefully one day the Chicoms will buy those two shameful places up...what's the loss?
The way I have read the law by January first if Boulder City and North Las Vegas fail to amend their deadly weapons bans they are null and void. Then Nevada should be a gold star state.