• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Changing Gun Laws in NC

NCHornet

imported post

According to GRNC we are dead in the water til 2009 to get any of the gun laws changed in NC. I support Grass Roots and respond to all their emails requesting me to notify representatives and such, but I don't keep up with the specifics. I know there was a bill purposed that would eliminate the restriction for restaraunts that serve, parades and funerals as well as places that charge admission. There was also a bill that would introduce the castle doctrine to NC.It's a shame this couldn't get passed this past year. As gun owners and residents of NC we all need to do what we can to get these stupid gun laws changed.

tapper95

imported post

I'm with you. I will probably be moving to NC in two years and I have a bad feeling about leaving a few of my supposedly inalieneablerights behind in Virginia. Is GRNC the only organization of its type in NC? I want to start making an impact now...

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Don't be too disheartened. It's not like you're moving to the People's Republic of New York. The rules get a littlestiffer, but at least you can buy more than just one gun a month. ;)

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Don't be too disheartened. It's not like you're moving to the People's Republic of New York. The rules get a littlestiffer, but at least you can buy more than just one gun a month. ;)

tapper95

imported post

I'm actually excited by the fact that NC may be considering repealing the restaurant ban... Virginia seems to have a heck of a high wall to get over to get that one off the books...

The real problem in VA is that there is no distinction between restaurants and bars so basically they are trying to keep firearms out of bars, but I can't carry concealed if I go into a Red Lobster or Chilis...

...but I can carry open... not that anyone here would do that would they?

dubccat51

Opt-Out Members
imported post

[align=left]I like the idea of the Restaurant Protection Act. If it would have been passed I know it would have taken out the restriction for restaurants that serve alcohol, but how far would it have gone to get rid of all the rest of the restrictions in North Carolina? It said in thebill thata CHP holder could carry inany restaurant or eating establishment that normally and customarily served food, evenestablishments with snack bars. I'm wondering if this would include places that charge admission like theatres that have snack bars and even further to educational property if it has a cafeteria since it is technically an establishment that normally and customarily serves food? I think that this is maybe the reason that it never made it out of commitee. Since so many places serve food it knocked too broad of a gap in the existing CHP regulations for the liberals in Raleigh to deal with.[/align]

carolinajohn63

imported post

I just moved to this State from Ohio, where I thought the laws were a bit stiff. However, Ohio moved fast to get some of the ridiculous restrictions removed. Unfortunately, I am finding that things move very, very slow here in the South.

Not at all what I expected moving here. Of all places, I thought the South would be very pro-carry and not have all of these incredible restricted carry zones.

It is amazing that they report that we must wait until 2009 before any changes can take place.

Ohio went through this phase, although much more rapidly. The politicians and local law enforcement agencies need to get off the high horse and stop fearing law abiding citizens that have every much the same right to protect ourselves and our families as they do.

What makes their lives more sacred than mine or my family?

Hondov65

imported post

NCHornet wrote:
According to GRNC we are dead in the water til 2009 to get any of the gun laws changed in NC. I support Grass Roots and respond to all their emails requesting me to notify representatives and such, but I don't keep up with the specifics. I know there was a bill purposed that would eliminate the restriction for restaraunts that serve, parades and funerals as well as places that charge admission. There was also a bill that would introduce the castle doctrine to NC.It's a shame this couldn't get passed this past year. As gun owners and residents of NC we all need to do what we can to get these stupid gun laws changed.

carolinajohn63

imported post

Unfortunately, even with the Grass Roots Organization, things here move slower than a snail. I just cannot figure this state out. Crime is on the uprise, violent attacks occur daily, yet the politicians supress the law abiding citizens ability to defend themselves.

Dead until 2009? That is such garbage. If there was an issue on their own agenda, you could be sure it would be heard within a few weeks.

What is wrong with this place?

Hondov65

imported post

I see it quite differently, you see my CCW instructor talked about this in my concealed weapons class in July. He said North Carolina was about to get a Castle Doctrine Law equal to that of the state of Flordia, and would take effect in November or December. I also came across another bill pertaining to State of Emergency as far as seizing weapons which happened in Louisiana during Hurricane Katrina. http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2007/Bills/House/HTML/H310v1.html
Unfortunately, even with the Grass Roots Organization, things here move slower than a snail. I just cannot figure this state out. Crime is on the uprise, violent attacks occur daily, yet the politicians supress the law abiding citizens ability to defend themselves.

Dead until 2009? That is such garbage. If there was an issue on their own agenda, you could be sure it would be heard within a few weeks.

What is wrong with this place?

carolinajohn63

imported post

Castle Doctrine is one thing and I guess it is better than nothing....

What is needed is "Stand Your Ground."