• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW/Open Carry Clarification

hardballerusn

imported post

The subject may be a little misleading. Allow me to clarify. I am active duty Navy and want to apply for a CCW here in Norfolk, VA. I have qualified in boot camp with the M9, will a copy of my training cert suffice for proof of training for the court? Also, the open carry laws: do they apply in the Norfolk/Portsmouth area? Does anyone have a link to the specific statute stating that no permit is required for open carry? And what condition should the firearm be in to carry, i.e. loaded mag and hot chamber, or loaded mag and empty chamber. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading and any replies I may get. Take care.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hardballer,
There are no OC laws here, unless you count Art. 1, sec. 13 of the VA constitution which enumerates our right to keep and bear arms. Laws generally tell you what is forbidden, not what is permitted. There are no restrictions regarding a loaded or unloaded chamber. The restrictions for open carry are the same as for concealed carry EXCEPT that only OC is permitted in restaurants that serve alcohol. No CC permitted there even with permit. Go to http://www.VCDL.org and check on the link for documents. There are letters from the State Police and the Alcoholic Beverages Commission speaking to the permissabilty of OC in restaurants.

SIGguy229

imported post

I'm also Active Duty...

...go to the county courthouse, get your application, fill it out, turn it back into the county clerk, pay $50, show your ID card (as proof of training), wait 45 days (or less) and *poof* you have your CHP.

You may carry your firearm in any condition as it was designed to be carried. Don't get confused by Uncle Sam's rules. I have a SIG P229...and carry loaded with 1 in the chamber. If you carry a 1911, carry cocked and locked, Condition 1.

What will you be carrying?

hardballerusn

imported post

Wow, these are some really good answers. I'll be carrying an AMT Hardballer .45ACP with the 8-round mag in a Blackhawk paddle holster, you know, the one with the index finger lock on it. I keep her loaded with JHP, and my backup mag is standard 230 gr. FMJ's. So you're saying I don't even need to bring a copy of my firearm qual, just my mil ID? Good times.

SIGguy229

imported post

Yes...see http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

Paragraph G.

5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services

Edited to add--there is no law that permits "open carry". Laws only list what is prohibited--and there is no law prohibiting open carry in VA.

It sounds contrary to your military experience (you can to this or you can't do that), but as a citizen, you have every right to carry according to the laws of the state/Commonwealth of VA. However, because you carry an ID card, you are also obligated to obey the lawful orders of your command. I only mention this because there are anti-gun folks in the military and you don't want to get caught up with some fool ordering you not to carry off-post.

IRT carrying in Norfolk and VA Beach, continue to read the posts here and learn. You may want to meet up with the folks who do carry down there==especially during OCDO outings. When carrying, use good judgement and bring nothing but credit upon your fellow open carriers and your military service. Welcome!

hardballerusn

imported post

Good good. Now I don't have to stand in line at personel forever. :D What division would the paperwork be at, just the general courts district over on City Hall?

SIGguy229

imported post

County Clerk's office--or check their website--see if they have apps posted there.

Look here: http://www.norfolk.gov/circuit_court/conchandgun.asp

I just looked there and they list the following

Proof of Competency is required. [this should be IAW state law--in previous post]

You must then appear in person in the Clerk’s Office, with a picture I.D. to pick up your approved Concealed Handgun Permit. [I call B.S. on this--someone help on this one--I think they are supposed to mail it to you]

You do NOT need to provide your SSAN on the application.

hardballerusn

imported post

I've already spoken with the Master Chief of my division, who has a CCW, and it's been approved by my command to have an open carry in town. As you can imagine, the rules are simple; don't act like a drunken idiot and unholster your gun in a bar, etc. Just be responsible with it, and my command has no problems with it. And it's good to be here, by the way. Saw alot of new guns I'd like to get my hands on at the gun show this afternoon, but could only afford one. :( Ah well, there's always next show.

SIGguy229

imported post

...there is ALWAYS another show....:D

As always, listen to the Master Chief...I would defer to him on local application procedures. I'm about 3 hrs north of you...

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The next show is next weekend...at the Hampton Coliseum. Its about twice the size of the Norfolk show.

Enjoy!:D

Tomahawk

imported post

hardballerusn wrote:
I've already spoken with the Master Chief of my division, who has a CCW, and it's been approved by my command to have an open carry in town. As you can imagine, the rules are simple; don't act like a drunken idiot and unholster your gun in a bar, etc. Just be responsible with it, and my command has no problems with it. And it's good to be here, by the way. Saw alot of new guns I'd like to get my hands on at the gun show this afternoon, but could only afford one. :( Ah well, there's always next show.
That's cool. I heard there was some jackass Army commander somewhere, Alaska was it? who forbade his troops from carrying even off-duty.

Scheetz

imported post

I suggest taking the CCW class at Lynnhaven Shooting range in VA Beach. It was $30 and you needed 20 rounds of ammo.

My class had 2 or 3 Navy people in it. You will learn alot of good info, the owner also prints up booklets of all the carry laws in VA that you can buy for $7. Its a pretty thick book so its worth the cost.

IanB

imported post

dichamw wrote:
I apologize that the page is pretty much a copy / paste job from the VSP website. I've been very busy lately but I intend to update the information with answers to more of the questions the VSP does not talk about, such as carry condition and training req's for military members. The open carry and CHP pages get the most traffic on the site and also provide the most Google search hits. What's really interesting is the amount of visits from various city government workstations which found my site doing google searches for CHP and OC laws in VA.