• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cabela's OC experience

Secrettrance

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Half the store is dedicated to guns, rifles, ammo ect. Hell they even have a museum in the store, but dont try to OC in Cabelas. Upon entering this afternoon I was stopped and asked politely if I would be willing to conceal my weapon. :question::question::question::question: I looked in the direction of the entire half of the store with guns as far as the eye can see and asked "there are guns all over this store, the place is practically dedicated to the 2nd amendment." The lady replied "yes but there are chidren in the store and they get excited if someone is wearing one. In the cases it's different. Could you perhaps just pull your shirt over it?" I sighed, shook my head "this shirt is short and its going to print." to which she answered "I know but it still helps"

So much for Cabelas
Attire: Blue jeans, Polo shirt tucked in, FP radio and pager on belt.

SP101

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This was posted in another forum about OC in the Hamburg Cabelas:

Quote:

Thank you for your recent visit to Cabela’s and for filling out the customer survey. We Value you as a customer and any feed-back that you can give us can only make us better. Please don’t hesitate to call my direct line, if I can help you in any way.610-929-7001.Thanks again

Bruce Biedenharn
Store Manager
Hamburg, PA

I would like to extend my humble apology for the unpleasant experience you had in our store.We are a “GUN” store and for Cabelas to hassle anyone that has a open carry permit is unexceptable .If there is anything I can do to rectify this wrong please give me a call and thank you for the feed-back

Except for the part about an "open carry permit" it appears to be OK to OC in that store. If I ever have a problem there, I will be calling Bruce Biedenharn myself.

If they told you to cover your weapon without a permit, they would be asking you to do something that is illegal.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

See the Idaho page under Cabela's.

I personally (along with two other friends and help from OCDO members) got Cabela's to change their corporate policy on OC in two business days!!!!!!
MAJOR KUDOS TO CABELA'S MANAGEMENT to move that fast!

This was done recently, like a month or so ago... again, see the Idaho page.

Their policy is now to check all firearms that are going in for servicing work. They said they will mirror state law on the matter of OC and CC.

Idaho Corsair

Secrettrance

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SP101 wrote:
This was posted in another forum about OC in the Hamburg Cabelas:

Quote:

Thank you for your recent visit to Cabela’s and for filling out the customer survey. We Value you as a customer and any feed-back that you can give us can only make us better. Please don’t hesitate to call my direct line, if I can help you in any way.610-929-7001.Thanks again

Bruce Biedenharn
Store Manager
Hamburg, PA

I would like to extend my humble apology for the unpleasant experience you had in our store.We are a “GUN” store and for Cabelas to hassle anyone that has a open carry permit is unexceptable .If there is anything I can do to rectify this wrong please give me a call and thank you for the feed-back

Except for the part about an "open carry permit" it appears to be OK to OC in that store. If I ever have a problem there, I will be calling Bruce Biedenharn myself.

If they told you to cover your weapon without a permit, they would be asking you to do something that is illegal.
I greatly appreciate the feedback on this one! I do have a LTCF so they weren't asking me to do something illegal but it was irritating to be hassled.

imperialism2024

imported post

Secrettrance wrote:
I greatly appreciate the feedback on this one! I do have a LTCF so they weren't asking me to do something illegal but it was irritating to be hassled.
I probably would have mentioned that point in the exchange... and not mentioned that you have a LTCF from PA. She could have been advocating an illegal action (or wouldn't one need a LTCF to CC on private property?)

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Unless it's your home or business, you DO need a LTCF to conceal in PA.

Since they never returned my call inquiring about this policy a couple of weeks ago, I've sent an e-mail through their site. I mentioned the point that someone open carrying may not be able to legally 'cover-up'.

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just got off the phone with Mr. Biedenharn...

I told him my reason for calling was to confirm Cabela's policy on carrying while shopping there. He asked if I had an "Open Carry Permit". I told him that I did not because no such thing existed and was not required to OC in PA. He said, "Oh, I think that changed recently." He then asked if I could hang on while he paged someone. I could hear him paging and then asking about "permit to open carry?" with whomever he was speaking to. When he was done, he confirmed that he now understood there was no permit needed.

He insisted that part of the confusion was due to the fact that PA's laws were so "gray" on this issue. I explained to him that there was absolutely no law forbidding this, and that the PA Supreme Court has affirmed in two separate rulings the legality of unlicensed open carry (Philly aside). I also informed him that even if someone does have a LTCF, they are under no obligation to conceal their weapon. I explained that while I have a LTCF, I typically OC, and have the license as a 'convenience' so I don't have to unload/reload every time I get into or out of my vehicle.

I told him that everything I'd read of Cabela's published policies, as well as his own statements seemed to support RKBA, but I didn't want to drive almost two hours to the store, only to be confronted, since he may or may not be there to 'back me up'.

He told me he understood completely, and that with 500 employees it can be hard to get the word out. I didn't dispute this point, though IMO this shouldn't be any tougher to disseminate than any other policy/procedure (i.e. orientation and/or posted memo). In the interest of 'civility' I kept this thought to myself.

I mentioned the two recent specific incidents that I was aware of. He claimed the first on (Aug. 26) was due to an employee from another store (NOT a PA store) being unaware of PA's laws and admitted that the situation was their fault. He said the second incident was different, as a customer was asked to leave after "brandishing" his weapon in a threatening manner.

Again, since I have no way of knowing if this is true, or even if it was the same incident which I'm aware of (it doesn't seem like it), I didn't make an argument one way or the other. Of course, if that did happen (now or in the future) I support his right to ask the customer to leave.

I asked if he'd be interested in a brochure that outlined PA's rights & laws related to carrying firearms, and he was definitely interested. He said that anything that would help them know what the law really is, is welcomed.

His words: "We're a gun store, we sell guns, we love guns, and we love people who carry guns."

I'll be following up with a nice letter and enclosing one of PA Patriot's flyers.

SP101

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Great job gnbrotz!!! That pretty much sums it all up for us. I'll be going out to do my Christmas shopping soon and will feel much more comfortable OC'ing there now. And I have Bruces' name and # stuck to my cabelas credit card as backup. Thanks for checking into this.:)

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Secrettrance wrote:
Half the store is dedicated to guns, rifles, ammo ect. Hell they even have a museum in the store, but dont try to OC in Cabelas. Upon entering this afternoon I was stopped and asked politely if I would be willing to conceal my weapon. :question::question::question::question: I looked in the direction of the entire half of the store with guns as far as the eye can see and asked "there are guns all over this store, the place is practically dedicated to the 2nd amendment." The lady replied "yes but there are chidren in the store and they get excited if someone is wearing one. In the cases it's different. Could you perhaps just pull your shirt over it?" I sighed, shook my head "this shirt is short and its going to print." to which she answered "I know but it still helps"

So much for Cabelas
Attire: Blue jeans, Polo shirt tucked in, FP radio and pager on belt.

Open carrying in Boise

read this Thread and call Becky @ Cabelas. Ph# is 800-905-2731 and she will confirm that Cabelas does stand by and Honor State Law on CCW and OCing in their stores.

I've been OCing several times at my Local Cabelas in Lehi,Utah without Hassel

Good Luck

WhiteFeather

imported post

:banghead:Don't go and get too comfortable OC'ing there. Yesterday I took a venture up there. I walked into the story and purposly and carefully read each and every sign posted at the front. I did note that the only sign than mentioned anything about firearms stated.

"All Firearms and Bows for repair must be checked at the customer service counter. This does not apply to CCW permit holders."

I think in my letter/call I should enlighten them on the no CCW in pa.However I got through the door no problem. I got through most of the store no problem. However when I proceeded to the gun counter to look at a pistol for my GF I grabbed my number and waited. When I finally was attended toa gentlemen informed me that I had to cover my sidearm. I stated that I read no sign at the front stating I had to do so and that OC is perfectly leagal in PA. He informed meof a sign up fron that"I missed." that stated only Lawenforcementmay openly carry. At that point for civility I covered up did not say another word and walked back to the front. No sign was ever found. So I left and now will call/write mydiscontent to the store manager. I wouldlike to go up again sometime but I would like to OC there with a few other people.I was not so upset about having to cover it up as I was that I waslied to. :cuss:

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Please tell me you have the name of the employee who asked you to cover up?

Perhaps when I call in a few days to confirm receipt of my letter/brochure, I'll request a formal response, recognizing OC. If I get it, I'll scan/post it so folks can take along their 'permission slip' from the manager.

I'd definitely be up for going back with you as long as we can agree on a date to make it happen.

WhiteFeather

imported post

Unfortunetly I do not. He was not wearing a name tag and when I asked for a name he rolled his eyes, shook his head and I'm sure gave me the first name that came to mind. I would love to take another trip up just to speak with the manager and make it very clear that I dislike being lied to.

For reference I have this coming weekend off.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

WhiteFeather wrote:
:banghead:Don't go and get too comfortable OC'ing there. Yesterday I took a venture up there. I walked into the story and purposly and carefully read each and every sign posted at the front. I did note that the only sign than mentioned anything about firearms stated.

"All Firearms and Bows for repair must be checked at the customer service counter. This does not apply to CCW permit holders."

I think in my letter/call I should enlighten them on the no CCW in pa.However I got through the door no problem. I got through most of the store no problem. However when I proceeded to the gun counter to look at a pistol for my GF I grabbed my number and waited. When I finally was attended toa gentlemen informed me that I had to cover my sidearm. I stated that I read no sign at the front stating I had to do so and that OC is perfectly leagal in PA. He informed meof a sign up fron that"I missed." that stated only Lawenforcementmay openly carry. At that point for civility I covered up did not say another word and walked back to the front. No sign was ever found. So I left and now will call/write mydiscontent to the store manager. I wouldlike to go up again sometime but I would like to OC there with a few other people.I was not so upset about having to cover it up as I was that I waslied to. :cuss:

My wife and I was a Cabelas @ Lehi,Ut and had 1 of their delicious Buffalo Sandwiches. We OCed the Whole time. Matter of fact it was my wifes 1st Time OCing.

We were there for maybe an hour walking thru the store and what not.

We even went to Costco @ West Valley City,Ut this was the VERY 1st place she ever OCed and she even strolled of by herself at one time.

I just told her to act normal, just as usual. If she acts wierd others will act weird around her as well.

It was Fun. It's sexy to see a woman Carry I think.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

gnbrotz wrote:
Just got off the phone with Mr. Biedenharn...

His words: "We're a gun store, we sell guns, we love guns, and we love people who carry guns."

He sounds like a good man to me! He's got the right perspective. Simple.

Great work, gnbrotz!

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Secrettrance wrote:
The lady replied "yes but there are chidren in the store and they get excited if someone is wearing one. In the cases it's different.
Children are scared of them? What are we carrying Rattlesnakes on our hips? Are they going to leap out and attack people unless they are kept in cases??? What happens when Dad buys one of those guns and takes it home? Will the kids run screaming into the night?

I'm so tired of the "it's for the children" excuse. The children are the reason I carry the damn thing!

:cuss:

LoveMyCountry

imperialism2024

imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
Secrettrance wrote:
The lady replied "yes but there are chidren in the store and they get excited if someone is wearing one. In the cases it's different.
Children are scared of them? What are we carrying Rattlesnakes on our hips? Are they going to leap out and attack people unless they are kept in cases??? What happens when Dad buys one of those guns and takes it home? Will the kids run screaming into the night?

I'm so tired of the "it's for the children" excuse. The children are the reason I carry the damn thing!

LoveMyCountry
And, ironically, the "information" that California State requires to be supplied with all handguns reads along the lines of "children are attracted to handguns". Hmpf. They really should get it straight...

FogRider

imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
Secrettrance wrote:

LoveMyCountry

It's the only argument more powerfull than 9/11, of course it will be used.

WhiteFeather

imported post

Oh I very much plan to. Time constraints are holding me back. I am on my first shift tour and by the time I get off I am sure he is well on his way home as well. But next week I plan on calling and taking a trip up in person. I am going to write down the name of the SM and hold onto it lest I run into another lying sack of... Again I just want to reiterate that if they have a policy I would be fine with it. But I hate people who lie to me. Maybe we can get some of the members here to take a trip up to the store and see how they respond to a whole flock 'o' OC'ers. And of course we could have lunch and just meet eachother. I would really like to meet a fellow OC'er. Maybe just so I can validate my reasoning sometimes I feel so alone in what I do...