• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2 actions...

sccrref

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
so all of us are in agreement that since a glock has NO manual safety... we count "racking a round in the chamber& pullin the trigger" as our 2, right? :D
I would say NO. It is possible to pull the trigger on a Glock and the gun will not fire. If you do not depress the trigger safety first before pulling the trigger, then the gun will not fire. Technically speaking, the Glock requires 3 steps to fire without a round chambered.

althor

imported post

b1ack5mith-

This shouldn't be so confusing. If you have a Glock with an empty chamber, then it isNOT deemed loaded... (1) Rack the slide, (2) pull the trigger. Thats it. The code, in my opinion, is straight forward on this. The safety or lack thereof is irrelevant.

That doesn't guarantee that LEOs or anybody else for that matter are going to get it right though. Just the other day I got hassled by a wannabe-cop prison guard while shooting west of Utah Lake. He didn't seem to think that I could legally own the silencer I had attached to the end of my barrel. Even after I explained the law and showed him the paperwork (which I did as a favor to educate),I think he went away hell-bent on checking out my story, certain I'd be visiting him soon... This from a worthless prison guard!

UTOC-45-44

imported post

sccrref wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:
so all of us are in agreement that since a glock has NO manual safety... we count "racking a round in the chamber& pullin the trigger" as our 2, right? :D
I would say NO. It is possible to pull the trigger on a Glock and the gun will not fire. If you do not depress the trigger safety first before pulling the trigger, then the gun will not fire. Technically speaking, the Glock requires 3 steps to fire without a round chambered.

I had2 Glocks and believe me IF there is a round Chambered and you PULL the trigger you WILL have a Bullet hole somewhere where you aimed the Barrel. Trigger"safety":uhoh:.

Get a 1911 (Kimber) and you will know what safety is.

Grip safety + Thumb safety.

It's a Single Action Pistol so I can drop the Hammer with caution with one in the Chamber if needed and the trigger will not move once the Hammer is down.

Glock...I tossed those out along time ago.

kparker

imported post

2. Carrying a D/A with the hammer back where it "might" have a failure can strike the bullet under the hammer
Perhaps I'm missing something, but in a D/A revolver when you cock the hammer it advances the cylinder. When I spoke of a round in the cylinder under the hammer, I of course mean with the hammer down. If it's cocked and there's a round in the top chamber/under the hammer, it's going to fire if you pull the trigger! (I.e. it's one action, not two, to fire it.)

althor

imported post

kparkerwrote:
Huh? Why can't you have a round under the hammer (in a modern, DA revolver with a transfer bar or similar system.) It's not in firing position, it's the last one to be fired!

kparker wrote:
2. Carrying a D/A with the hammer back where it "might" have a failure can strike the bullet under the hammer
Perhaps I'm missing something, but in a D/A revolver when you cock the hammer it advances the cylinder. When I spoke of a round in the cylinder under the hammer, I of course mean with the hammer down. If it's cocked and there's a round in the top chamber/under the hammer, it's going to fire if you pull the trigger! (I.e. it's one action, not two, to fire it.)

Referring to the first question... The round under the hammerIS in the firing position. It does not matter that it is the last one fired in a DA revolver. You need to view pulling the trigger on a DA revolver as moving the current round from the firing position, advancing the next round into the firing position then dropping the hammer.

I suppose that someone can think of a scenario where a revolver like this might fire. Besides, not all revolvers have a transfer bar, especially old ones. Laws like this are likely written toward the lowest common denominator. Could you imagine the code reading something like this:

(1) For the purpose of this chapter, any pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle, or other weapon described in this part shall be deemed to be loaded when there is an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile in the firing position, except for the Ruger New Model Single-Six equipped with a transfer bar, or an original Ruger Model Single-six which has been sent back to the factory to be retrofitted with a transfer bar, or this manufacturer/model or...

No... all guns are loaded with round in the firing position.