• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transporting in Delaware state

freedom

imported post

Hello forum,
Have a couple of questions.
I have a LTCF and/but work in Delaware, 10 minutes past the PA line.

Now I know I can't carry in DE, but can I still take the gun in a case, locked until
I re-enter the PA line on my way home?

Not to familiar with DE laws, except the fact that it's very hard to get a CCW.

Thank you all in advance

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Open carry is lawful. You may open carry in the vehicle (in plain sight, like on the passenger seat).

You may not concealed carry, in the car or otherwise, without a Delaware CCDW or reciprocal state permit.

IANAL, but I am a Delaware state resident and this is what my research has turned up.

freedom

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
You can get a nonresident permit from Florida or Utah and legally carry concealed in Delaware.

I was told that a non resident permit from Florida or Utah will not work.

Non Resident only works for the state applied for.

Can someone correct me on this?

Thank you all for the responses

rmarkob

imported post

freedom wrote:
WVCDL wrote:
You can get a nonresident permit from Florida or Utah and legally carry concealed in Delaware.

Yes, Delaware is not one of those states that require you to be a resident of the state whose permit they honor. Those states are: Colorado, West Virginia, Florida, New Hampshire, Michigan, South Carolina, and Kansas. Check out http://www.handgunlaw.us/ for reciprocity.

Florida and Utah permits are good in Delaware. I'm waiting on a Utah permit to be legal in Delaware and several other states where my PA permit is not recognized.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Wynder wrote:
Open carry is lawful. You may open carry in the vehicle (in plain sight, like on the passenger seat).

You may not concealed carry, in the car or otherwise, without a Delaware CCDW or reciprocal state permit.

IANAL, but I am a Delaware state resident and this is what my research has turned up.
But a few localities have grandfathered open carry bans :(

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

As far as I know, I think that's only Dover.

Anywhere he'd be (10 minutes from the PA State Line), he'd be lawful.

freedom

imported post

rmarkob wrote:
freedom wrote:
WVCDL wrote:

Yes, Delaware is not one of those states that require you to be a resident of the state whose permit they honor. Those states are: Colorado, West Virginia, Florida, New Hampshire, Michigan, South Carolina, and Kansas. Check out http://www.handgunlaw.us/ for reciprocity.

Florida and Utah permits are good in Delaware. I'm waiting on a Utah permit to be legal in Delaware and several other states where my PA permit is not recognized.

How do I go by to find a gun instructor in PA?
Utah and Florida require Certification.

Thank you all for the replies

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

freedom wrote:
rmarkob wrote:
freedom wrote:
WVCDL wrote:

How do I go by to find a gun instructor in PA?
Utah and Florida require Certification.

Thank you all for the replies

Florida accepts several forms of training, including any hunter safety class, any class taught by an NRA-certified instructor, proof of current military service, or an honorable discharge from the military. The Florida license costs $117 for a new license and $107 for nonresident renewals every 5 years. Nonresidents must also submit fingerprints at each renewal. Florida licenses usually take about 60 days to process, although Florida law allows up to 90 days for processing. Information on NRA training programs can be found here.

Utah instructors located outside Utah can be found here; there appear to be some in SE PA. The Utah permit costs $59 initially and $10 for renewals every 5 years. No fingerprints are required at renewal. Unfortunately, despite Utah law requiring permits to be issued or denied within 60 days, Utah is apparently taking 4+ months to process nonresident applications right now.

Both Florida and Utah add several states that do not currently recognize the Pennsylvania license to carry firearms: Delaware, Ohio, Alabama, Mississippi, North Dakota (the PA AG claims to have statutory reciprocity with ND but it does not show on ND's official reciprocity site), and New Mexico. Utah permits are also recognized in Minnesota, Nevada,and Washington state. Florida licenses are recognized in Kansas but there is a controversy over whether the Kansas AG's claim that KS will only recognize licenses issued to residents of the issuing state is supported by KS's reciprocity statute (§75-7c03(c)).

Edited on September 28 to add Nevada to the list of states recognizing Utah permits, effective October 1.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

What part of PA? Targetmaster on 202 (PA/DE state line) does the training. Probably easy to find a certified NRA trainer to schedule a class.

sccrref

imported post

rmarkob wrote:
freedom wrote:
WVCDL wrote:

Good luck. They cashed my chech towards the end of May. They are way behind on both resident and non resident permits. I inquired and was informed that the state did not fund for extra persons to help do the required checks. You have to jump through a few hoops to even think about getting a Temporary permit. The budget issue was supposedly being taken care of but alas, I am still waiting on mine.

rgaper

imported post

Delaware was always a pain in the neck for me when I was a PA resident. For a little over a year, I lived ON the PA-DE state line. Literally. If you came out of my driveway and turned left, you were in DE, if you turned right, you stayed in PA. I had multiple conversations with DSP folks about this and they basically shrugged me off with "can't help you, you're not a resident." I never went the route of getting a CHP from Florida or any other states that offered reciprocity because I never spent any reasonable time in DE. Instead, when my girlfriend and I were on an errand and were about to cross the state line, I'd pull over and throw it in a case in the trunk.